PDA

View Full Version : Seems HOT???

KCCobra03
07-17-2005, 03:52 AM
It's of course is summer time in Kansas City and my car really seems hot. The gauge is in the middle right on the Temp sign. No coolant loss, leaks, etc just seems hot. Is there a bigger radiator for it, or some magic juice to put in the w/the coolant? What are some of you guys doing to help keep your cars cooler. I have ordered the Gords HE but that coolant isn't really very hot. Hell, I stuck my finger in it tonite and it was maybe 110-120 degrees. Not very Uncomfortable to me. I have seen people say the Eaton causes alot of heat but can't all be from that. What r your thoughts out there? Bigger Rad??Thanks!

BlueOvalPower
07-17-2005, 03:55 PM
Mine is there all the time I am sure living in FL has a bit to do with it, I do plan on doing some modifications but really wasnt planning on a radiator change, do you know what the fan rating is that may be an option, all in all I didnt think that was too bad at the half way point.

ausie
07-17-2005, 11:33 PM
I have used red line water wetter in both tanks. I added that stuff when I first got my 04. If it seems hot, and you want to know how hot it really is, try this. Press and hold the trip odometer reset button and turn the key to the on position (do not start it, you can do that after you turn on the diagnostics). When you see the text "test" display on the odometer let the button go. All of the gauages will max out then drop to normal. press the button a few times until you see the words "temp" displayed. It will display the temperature in degrees C. To convert, just multiply the reading by 1.8 and add 32. You can even use the digital speedometer "speed" if you want to see the actual value rather than guess what speed you are running.

To lower your temps, you can alway change the thermostat to a lower temperature (180 vrs the 195 stock, any lower you need to program the ECU).

ausie
07-18-2005, 06:06 AM
Here is the link that describes all of the information the tach will display. Although what is in the link is an earlier model, the HEC still works.

http://www.mustangworld.com/ourpics/fcar/dtcodes.htm

Opps, after looking at the link, the word "deg" appears, not "temp".

blk04cobra1
07-18-2005, 07:58 AM
Fluidyne makes a larger radiator and you may want to add an electric water pump :D ...these two along with your Gords, will definitely keep you runnin cooler :bounce:

KCCobra03
07-18-2005, 07:11 PM
I ordered a Fluidyne last night, went today and bought a 180 thermostat and my Gords HE just arrived. I don't drive it in the winter at all. I have alot of stuff to do now when I get the time. I will put in some Redline or Royal purple Ice with the antifreeze when I'm done upgrading my parts. She's ready for a oil change and I'm going to replace the fuel filter, only 7700 mile. That certainly can't hurt. Say where is the thermostat on the engine. That sounds bad not knowing but I looked tonite and can't find it? It is on the drivers side down low next to the oil filter??
:cool:

blk04cobra1
07-19-2005, 08:40 AM
I think it's up top, behind the blower...dont quote me on this, i'll have to look later...:thumbsup: on the radiator, now get the water pump and reservoir and you'll be seeing cool temps all day long

KCCobra03
07-19-2005, 11:27 PM
I thought of the electric water pump but was afraid of high current draw. Is there a higher flowing replacement out there? Belt driven one? I have seen other reservoirs but thought they were also just for looks. What do they do other then give you more capacity?

ausie
07-20-2005, 06:05 AM
The thermostat sits in an aluminum housing that looks like a knuckle which is the attatchment point for three hoses at the bottom in front of the engine (It hangs from the hoses between the radiator and the motor). One hose goes to the passenger side, the other to the drivers side and the third drops down from the expansion tank. The housing is held together by two long screws. Before you begin, you will also need to get a new O ring since the old one may leak if you reuse it.

As for the expansion tank, i.e. Canton or other types, They may look good but are functional beyond their appearance. For instance, both my 01 and 04 had issues with the factory resivior (correct term is expansion tand or degas bottle). After a few thousand miles on the clock, coolant was bypassing the cap when the engine was at operating temperature. After talking to a few mechanics that used to work for ford, they basically told me that there were a few design flaws in the cooling system and the expansion tank was one of them. One reason you do not see the same components used as caryovers in the 05 models. After replacing the plastic expansion tank with the Canton aluminum one, I have yet to spew any coolant. Our cooling system was designed without a recovery tank, and the cap will breath in or out depending on pressure, since there is no recovery tank any coolant released will get thrown all over the engine bay by either the fan or the accesory belts. Even the Canton has a bung for coolant recovery line. However I had to modify mine so that I can attach a hose to it to prevent hitting the power steering fluid tank. I am still planning on adding a recovery tank for the coolant, but have not decided where to mount it (driver side fender sounds like a logica place, or up front under the bumper cover).