PDA

View Full Version : 99 Cobra setup

The Gord
07-25-2005, 03:32 PM
So, I just purchased my first Cobra and its time to get to work. Right now its bone stock and wont be for long. I havent even seen it in person, though my brothers and my dad are having a great time with it. Anyways I have about one year before medical school which means no time to work on the car. With this in mind I have $6,000 to spend on parts(Ill take care of most of the labor) to get me over the next few years. So what do yall recomend? Please dont say motor rebuild for forged internals, Ill do that in about 50,000 miles for sure. A centrifugal supercharger would be a great start or maybe a camshaft set.

Jesse99
07-25-2005, 03:48 PM
I recommend exhaust 1st.. Headers, mid pipes, and catbacks.. Then go with Cold air intact (JLT Cold Air) and underdive pulleys unless your going to put a supercharger.. Anyway good luck with your Cobra and enjoy it as I have with my 99.. :thumbsup:

The Gord
07-25-2005, 04:21 PM
how would glasspacks for the mufflers sound? just kidding.

flynfink
07-26-2005, 12:32 PM
1st - do it now - aftermarket shifter - MGW is the preferred
2ng - Springs - lower the car about 1 1/2 "
2rd - CAI
4th - Catback
5th - underdrives
6th - timing adjuster
Have fun

The Gord
07-26-2005, 12:38 PM
For sure on the shifter, I would also probably go with headers/exhaust and springs on my first purchase. Subframe connectors and suspension parts to control wheelhop are also a must. Ill probably wait for underdrive pulleys and timing adjustment after I put on a supercharger, but yall probably know best. Also, brake pads are a must: either hi-performance street or competition? dont know yet.

cobrabitn
07-26-2005, 08:22 PM
If you can swing it, get a set of 4:10 gears and a shifter. :)

The Gord
07-27-2005, 11:39 AM
As I said before I have not even seen this car in real life, but will in about a month. my long term goal is to have 400rwhp N/A and then supercharge. during my visit home I plan to install the following:
MGW shifter, headers/x-pipe/cat-back, CAI, and new brake pads. I have two questions with the exhaust.
1. Do I need hearders initially, or should I wait until a supercharger finds its new home in the engine bay?
2. In general what type of sound differences should I expect between the bassani, flow master, and the magnaflow? any setup recomendations?

Also, any recomendations on the brake pads would be helpful. I want aggressive street pads. It will only see the dragstrip once a month and no track racing.
Thanks so much for the help.

cobrabitn
07-27-2005, 09:45 PM
I'm still trying to figure out what school Jeff went to?? :rotf: J/K

1st - do it now - aftermarket shifter - MGW is the preferred
2ng - Springs - lower the car about 1 1/2 "
2rd - CAI
4th - Catback
5th - underdrives
6th - timing adjuster

dewone
07-29-2005, 07:51 AM
If your going to super charger in the future I wouldn't do the CAI thing it will have to come out when you do. So start on the back end Headers, exhaust.... .02

The Gord
07-29-2005, 12:20 PM
So the MGW shifter and JLT CAI (in red) are on the way, but I still have some questions on the exhaust. Should I buy a cat-back before an X-pipe or H-Pipe and decide on the mid-pipe later? I like the sound of the stock exhaust but want it louder. I dont necissarily want a big-block sound, thats what my straight exhaust 7.3L turbo diesel is for. I also absolutely dont want it to sound at all like a rice rocket. I'm thinking of some magnaflow or bassani or combo of the two, mid-pipes and cat-back. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I know youve had to deal with these exhaust questions a thousand times.

Why Try?
07-29-2005, 03:54 PM
go with the SLP set up for exhaust, stay away from items you'll have to take off if you get a supercharger (pullies, CAI), plus for brakepads go Porterfield R4S.

with 6K

exhuast/header
suspension-pan hard bar, sub frames, shocks/struts, CC Plates, springs
MGW Shifter
Brake Upgrade
CIA
New Coil/Wires
Rims/Tires

dewone
08-01-2005, 07:30 AM
X pipe more HP, H Pipe more noise. Up to you