SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   ignition switch recall? (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3624)

flynfink 03-17-2003 08:36 AM

ignition switch recall?

I was told by someone that there was an ignition switch recall on the 93-95 mustangs. anyone have the details?

Spiffy668 03-17-2003 09:30 AM

Nope. For more info on TSBs, they will cover all mustangs, go here: http://www.alldata.com/TSB/19/941917BF.html

Bulletins for 1994 Ford Mustang V8-302 5.0L COBRA

Safety Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title
01S28 SEP 01 Recall - Air Bag Module Inspection/Replacement
00S37 OCT 00 Recall - Park Brake Control Modification
97S88 NOV 97 Recall - Hood Separation Inspection/Repair
95S11 APR 95 Recall - Seat Lumbar Support Wire Harness Repair

General Recalls
TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 95B79 JAN 95 Campaign - Keyless Entry System Transmitters

EDIT: Quick search found no ignition TSBs on that page.

STU 03-18-2003 08:35 AM

Re: ignition switch recall?

Quote:

Originally posted by flynfink
I was told by someone that there was an ignition switch recall on the 93-95 mustangs. anyone have the details?
Never heard of that one Jeff. Check this site for recall information.
http://www.safetyalerts.com/rcls/cat.../ford.htm#ford

1Red95Snake 06-05-2003 11:05 PM

Well, if they didn't...... they should!!:mad:

STU 06-06-2003 07:38 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by 1Red95Snake
Well, if they didn't...... they should!!:mad:
What problem do you have?

1Red95Snake 06-06-2003 01:25 PM

When I pull out the key, the warning chime keeps making that annoying noise!! Not all the time, but most of. I think part of the reason it does this is because of how lose it is. It's almost as if I can turn it on without a key especially to the acc side. When the key is in on acc with the doors open I can get the chime to stop by wiggling it around a bit and still listen to my stereo!! It's been this way every since I got her with 55k on the speedo.

I would like to know what problems others are having with it?? Maybe we could pound Ford with complaints and they would issue a recall!!:bounce:

STU 06-06-2003 02:01 PM

Quote:

When I pull out the key, the warning chime keeps making that annoying noise!! Not all the time, but most of. I think part of the reason it does this is because of how lose it is. It's almost as if I can turn it on without a key especially to the acc side. When the key is in on acc with the doors open I can get the chime to stop by wiggling it around a bit and still listen to my stereo!! It's been this way every since I got her with 55k on the speedo.

I would like to know what problems others are having with it?? Maybe we could pound Ford with complaints and they would issue a recall!!:bounce:

That is not your ignition switch. Your ignition switch is mounted down lower on the steering colum. Your problem is with the ignition lock cylinder.

1Red95Snake 06-06-2003 02:03 PM

Well, I stand corrected:) Then what is the problem everyone is talking about?

STU 06-06-2003 02:52 PM

Quote:

Well, I stand corrected:) Then what is the problem everyone is talking about?
I have no idea. Nothing that affected us.

1Red95Snake 06-06-2003 03:55 PM

That's good to here! Sounds like my cyclinder must be worn though. I guess I'd better be for changing it! Have a great one!!

flynfink 06-10-2003 02:55 PM

Yeah the lock cyl. is worn. On ours, you can pull the key and the chime will sound sometimes. I just rotate the cylinder till it stops w/ the key out. and yes, it does it more towards the acc position

STU 06-10-2003 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by flynfink
Yeah the lock cyl. is worn. On ours, you can pull the key and the chime will sound sometimes. I just rotate the cylinder till it stops w/ the key out. and yes, it does it more towards the acc position
Mine was worn also. I just went to the Ford garage and purchased a new lock set and replaced all the locks on the car. It was not hard to do.

1Red95Snake 06-11-2003 01:36 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by STU
Mine was worn also. I just went to the Ford garage and purchased a new lock set and replaced all the locks on the car. It was not hard to do.
That is what I was planning on doing too since some jerk tried to jack mine recently by punching the passenger side door lock with a screwdriver. Didn't get in, just damaged the lock some. Boy do they have a surprise coming if they try it again!!!

351coupe 06-17-2003 10:34 AM

Fink - What you probably heard about was a class action suit against Ford for using faulty ignition modules in many of their cars from 84-95. It included 5 liter mustangs from 87-95. Ford lost the suit and you could get back a whopping $100 dollars if (why is there always an if?) your car has less than 100,000 miles, you are the original owner, the ignition module has never been changed, or if it has been changed you could produce a receipt for the replacement (only Motorcraft replacements are eligible), and nothing in your electrical system has been replaced or upgraded with anything other than original Motorcraft replacement parts. The claim time ended in Oct. 2002.

Since very few people knew all of the details of this suit or how to claim their refund and the fact that their are very few unmodified 5 liters in existance, Ford made out pretty good on this one.