SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Green Banana progress... (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3776)

98banana 04-12-2003 07:32 PM

Green Banana progress...

This will be the official thread for the progress of the new Green Banana. (Yes, it will be green. Mostly)

Day 1 went fabulously. We got a lot more done than we thought.

All I have left before starting with the subs, frame kit and roll cage is to gut the passenger side door and scrape up the sound deadener. I can get that done tomorrow.

See www.bananamotorsports.com for more...

johnbasf 04-12-2003 08:14 PM

Man I hope you don't need that 1/4" rachet!! I did have it with me at CMP. :thumbsup: Looking good bud. I may be....... I'll call.

98banana 04-13-2003 07:58 AM

LOL! That's probably the one tool I have 2 of... and I used it A LOT for all the little ground screws and brackets all over the car.

My hardware box from the banana and this car combined is probably up to about 40 lbs. now.

97whitevert 04-13-2003 08:56 AM

I would say its looking good, but...... well its looking like a race car!:thumbsup:

2KWhiteSnake 04-13-2003 04:44 PM

Great Pics Tom....Keep the pics coming!

Craig

98banana 04-13-2003 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by 2KWhiteSnake
Great Pics Tom....Keep the pics coming!

Craig

Okay. :)

I just got through with Day 2. I got all the sound deadener out and gutted the passenger door. I also found a rusted out hole in the floor that I'll patch while I put in the floor kit in a few days.

Check out my website for information on torsional stiffness. I had a wild hair to take a measurement after each step of the build up. I now have a baseline. It's about what I expected: FLIMSY!

www.bananamotorsports.com

racercosmo 04-13-2003 05:56 PM

Nice shirt! I want one.

98banana 04-13-2003 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by racercosmo
Nice shirt! I want one.
I hear they have a special on them right now! LOL!

I sent that picture to Eric yesterday.

98banana 04-13-2003 06:22 PM

I just went out to check the motor. I knew the timing chain cover was busted from where the power steering reservoir pushed it in. I took the cover off and all I found wrong was a busted camshaft sensor, which I found sitting on top of the windage trey. I'll be sure to remove the oil pan before cranking it to make sure no other fragments got in the motor.

Anybody else have any suggestions on how to look for more metal fragments?

98banana 04-17-2003 08:14 PM

Floor kit is almost in!!!

1 Attachment(s)
Man, this thing is going well!

Here's the goodies from UPS:

98banana 04-17-2003 08:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The subs are in...

98banana 04-17-2003 08:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
And here's the driver's side in-floor sub. The passenger side will be tomorrow, then the cage starts tomorrow afternoon...

johnbasf 04-17-2003 09:22 PM

OMG!!:eek: :eek: Those welds look awesome.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

98banana 04-17-2003 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by johnbasf
OMG!!:eek: :eek: Those welds look awesome.:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Thanks John. That means a lot coming from you! :thumbsup:

I'm freakin' ecstatic on how it's coming out. They actually look better in person. For those out there wanting to start welding - DO NOT BUT A CHEAPY WELDER! YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!! I keep going back and forth looking at the "banana's" welds, then looking at the new car. Completely different level.:thumbsup: Janis even noticed a difference.

And John, I owe a lot of that to you. You spoke, I listened, and the tips work! Thank you!

2KWhiteSnake 04-17-2003 10:55 PM

Tom, the work looks great! I spent the evening yanking my track pads out and rotating tires. Fun Fun! Keep up the work. I was going to ask about when you might want to help me tackle that cage, but I think you've got a bit too much going on with the "new and improved" Banana. :bounce:

We love the pictures....Keep them coming!!!!!!!!!!!

Craig