SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Spacers for deepdishes (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16534)

9Cobra9 12-23-2008 01:36 PM

Spacers for deepdishes

i am wantin to buy some deepdish bullit wheels for my car 17x10.5. my question is do i need to get wheel spacers for it and if i do what size spacer and what is the best suggested brand to get? thanks, matt

tazzracing1 12-23-2008 10:31 PM

No you don't need spacers with the deep dish wheels. But I would be he new bolts from leathperformance.com

puzzle13 12-24-2008 07:18 PM

If you are running 17 X 10.5's you may need spacers for any rim depending upon the car. Some need 1/4" and some need more. On my 03 I needed a 1/2" spacer on one side and nothing on the other. Get your rims, keep your old ones with tires on them, then put on the new ones and you will see what you need (rubbing will most likely be on the inner side). Then order only what you need, because if you go wider than a 3/8" spacer you will have to knock out your studs and replace with longer studs and you may not be able to use regular closed lugs then. It all depends upon your car!

If you go with 18 X 10" rims you probably won't need spacers, but it also depends upon the width of the tire that you run.

Mach1jack 12-24-2008 09:55 PM

Be careful of the advice you get on the internet. Not all experts are alike.
If the wheels you get have the correct backspacing for your car, you shouldn't need any spacers. I believe this is correct even with deepdish. Contact the wheel manufacturer, they are the experts.

9Cobra9 12-24-2008 11:12 PM

thanks for the replies. i know someone who put the deep dish wheels on there cobra and didnt put spacers on it but the tire i want is alittle bigger than what they had i want to go with a 315/35/17 and i didnt know if it would rub or not but i didnt think bout this i have heard of the irs cobras rearend could be shifted more to one side but it aint noticeable from the eye you can only tell by this or by doing work on the car i think

puzzle13 12-25-2008 10:03 AM

To run the 315's you usually have to change on of the bolts in the IRS to a round headed bolt (I did this) and then lowering the car a little from stock also helps a bit, but I know many who just bolt the tires on with no problems. I also know of cars that needed anywhere from 1/4" to 3/4" spacers.

Best of Luck!

tazzracing1 12-25-2008 06:43 PM

I'm running 315/35/17 and did not need spacers and I did replace the bolts with the button headbolts. I'm also running 10.5 x 17 deep dish. The advice on this site is some of the best you will find.

9Cobra9 12-25-2008 09:35 PM

ok thanks for the replies folks and one more ? where can i find these bolts and what would they be listed under and again thanks

puzzle13 12-25-2008 10:54 PM

You can get the kit from Steeda or Maximum Motorsports ... don't remember if it includes different bushings or not. Better bushings will mean less play and more stiffness, but a pain to install. As Tazz said ... he didn't need spacers, but you might! Hopefully you won't as I had to go through a couple of different spacers before I found the minimum I needed and I had to change my studs. Nothing that is that hard, but a pain when trying to get the new tires & rims on!!

Don't know where Lawsonville is, but I have a set of 03 rims that are 10.5 in the back and I will be removing them just after the first of the year as I am now running 315's on all 4's. They have the Goodyear gsd3's on them and that is one of the widest tires. Maybe we could do a test ... who knows.

tazzracing1 12-26-2008 09:59 AM

http://www.lethalperformance.com/
This is where I bought mine. I do believe the new bolts are a good investment because you won't rub them until the suspension is extended. The rubbing also has to do with what tires you are going to run.

9Cobra9 12-26-2008 09:44 PM

I apreciate it but the thing is i am just tryin to get everything figured out so i will know what to save up for it will probly be a while for i can do this me and my fiance just bought a house bout 4 months ago and i am running alittle tight at the moment but i am hoping to do this sometime next fall hopefully if i have the money

tazzracing1 12-27-2008 06:27 PM

Nothing like being prepared and figuring out he cost ahead of time.

Lumpydogs 12-28-2008 10:30 AM

IMO the 1" (25mm) spacers on the rear look great. The body style of the new edge mustangs/cobras tends to hide the rear wheels/tires too much. I have been using the 1" (full stud) spacers for five years. I have 17x9" wheels with 275 tires on the rears. I even open track with them.

Just my two cents.

tazzracing1 12-28-2008 10:56 PM

I ran the 1" spacers also until I bought new rims last winter. Jeff your trailer is doing fine.

Lumpydogs 12-28-2008 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzracing1
... Jeff your trailer is doing fine.

LOL, thanks for the update. :D

tazzracing1 12-28-2008 11:49 PM

No problem, Hows the cobra coming along??

Lumpydogs 12-29-2008 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tazzracing1
No problem, Hows the cobra coming along??

She is back together and running great but winter came so she's on jack stands in the garage. I need to get a few hundred miles on the motor before switching back to full synthetic oil. I've got a few minor suspension mods on schedule. One of them is still in my trailer box at your place. LOL

Any chance you could roll the trailer one foot forward or backward to prevent flat spotting the tires?

Are you gonna get that yellow screamer out on the track this year? It's more fun going than showing. :cool:

p.s. Sorry about hijacking this thread.

puzzle13 12-29-2008 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumpydogs
IMO the 1" (25mm) spacers on the rear look great. The body style of the new edge mustangs/cobras tends to hide the rear wheels/tires too much. I have been using the 1" (full stud) spacers for five years. I have 17x9" wheels with 275 tires on the rears. I even open track with them.

Just my two cents.

Running the 1" spacers with 315's will cause problems in many Cobras as the outer edge of the fender will rub the tire. Works great though with the original width of wheel and stock size tire!

tazzracing1 12-29-2008 11:34 AM

Yes mine was with the stock rim and tire size. Plus when you go to the wider tire it will track more with the groves in the road.