SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   new car (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4338)

Josh99Cobra 07-12-2003 11:39 PM

new car

ok Iam looking for a new stang. I want a fox body style around 83 to 93. I want one that i can do some stuff to and get good results at the track i run mostly 1/8th amile.I have heard alot of bad things about AOD transmissions. What year should i get to get the most power out of. I looked at a 93 LX notch 5.0. ITs in perfect condition with 120k on it thoe and he want like 6k for it well i would have to talk him down cause i think its to much i think it mite be worth about 5k any help would be nice.

Black Snake 07-13-2003 11:14 PM

What are your plans for this car? Will it be track only or a driver/track car? Do you plan on modifying the car or keeping it fairly stock? Power adder or NA? EFI or carb?

87 Mustangs are EFI and speed density. Fastest Fox out of the box but it is limiting if you want to modify the motor (mass air is easier to modify).

88-91(?) Mustangs are EFI, mass air and forged pistons (I don't remember what year they changed that). If you go with a power adder this is probably your best option.

92-93 Mustang are EFI, mass air and cast pistons. If you stay NA you will be fine but the cast pistons are not going to like a big power adder (high boost or a lot of nitrous).

Josh99Cobra 07-13-2003 11:44 PM

i want it to be mostly track car but could be driven there and the saturday races around town. I am wanting to do cam heads pistons and stuff like that i would like a all motor car but i might throw my bottle from my cobra on it i just wanted to know what year would be good thanks for your lhelp

Black93Cobra 07-16-2003 01:25 PM

I believe Mass Air was in '88 only in CA and 50 state wide in '89. Forged pistons were stock from 1987-1992. Ford switched to "Hyperpathetic" Pistons in 1993 and the HP rating dropped from 225 to 215 (or 205 I can't remember which). The HP change was unrelated to the piston change. If you are looking for a track car, I would suggest a 1989 - 92 car, preferably a 5 spd model with the fewest options possible to reduce weight. Just my $.02 :)

KevinGeisbert 07-17-2003 08:36 PM

Hey Black 93 Cobra,

What is the 'hyperpathetic' pistons with the 93 all about (I'm not offended, just unknowing)?

I, too, have heard/read that the hp from 92 to 93 dropped from 225 to 205, but I thought I read that this drop was due to different method of hp calculation that the auto industry applied circa 93. Have you heard different?

That 93 Cobra is a pretty car. All I've read is that it is a 'tweaked' 5.0...what is tweaked about it? Different intake? Heads?

You suggested up to '92 car to Josh...why not '93? Have you had some problems? Look forward to your response.

Black93Cobra 07-18-2003 12:05 AM

The "hyperpathetic" pistons are actually hypereutectic pistons, less expensive to manufacture than forged pistons but not quite as durable under heavy boost or lots of nitrous.

Sorry, "hyperpathetic" was my attempt at humor!?!

You are correct on the HP rating in '93, the industry changed the way HP was calculated which is why the rating dropped.

I love my 1993 Cobra, I searched for 2.5 years to find one I wanted since I missed out when they were new. The Cobra is different than the standard issue 5.0 HO. They were rated at 235 hp by Ford but that was conservative. I have heard that most make in the 250 - 275 range at the flywheel. They had the cast Cobra intake, 65mm Throttle body, GT-40 Cast Iron Heads, 1.7 Ratio Roller Rocker Arms and a Free Flowing Exhaust (by Ford standards). Plus the computer tune was different.

I have had several '93's and would recommend one to anyone. In Josh's case, since he was looking for a track car, I recommended a year with forged pistons for durability reasons. Hope that helps!! :D :D

KevinGeisbert 07-18-2003 09:06 AM

That's interesting that they changed the manufacturing method for pistons...I wonder if they kept that process since, or if they reverted back to the drop forge method.

Any idea what is involved in the different process?

Black93Cobra 07-18-2003 09:44 AM

As far as I know, Ford still uses the same process to manufacturing method for all 4.6L cars (with the exception of the awesome 2003- '04 Cobra which uses a forged piston).

I'd have to defer to the more technical members on the exact manfacturing process. :)

chiller5 07-18-2003 06:25 PM

my friend has an 85 5.0 Police Interceptor in it. is his website. check it out.This