SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Show and Shine (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Meguiars NXT tech wax (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6216)

ausie 04-16-2004 07:00 AM

Meguiars NXT tech wax

:bounce: This stuff is great! Liquid was type application, easy on, and very easy off. The results on a Black mustang was just amazing. Talk about a mirror finish! I was hoping to find Zaino locally but could not find it so I bought the Meguirs product. One complaint though, it did not hide fine scratches as it states on the product. They may need to be buffed out which can wait for a while since they are not noticable unless you really look for them. The shine is really sweet! So far this is the best wax product I ever used. I will let you know how it hold up after the next time I wash it (if I can remember to do so).

nckissfan 04-16-2004 10:11 AM

thanks for the tip!

venomous 04-16-2004 04:53 PM

Thats cool man, I've always been very pleased with the meguiars products. I haven't gotten around to trying the tech wax yet. Just might have to try it now. :thumbsup:

ausie 04-17-2004 07:54 AM

I have yet to use any of the Zaino products (simply because I cannot buy them locally). I may put on a second application and buff it out today before the car show. Actually this was the first time I did not have to get out the power equipment to wax the car. The only dust left on the car is from the towels I used to remove the wax ( lint fibers from the towels). Most of the time I used Meguiars mirror glaze, "hi-tech yellow wax #26. I prefer that product over the gold class wax. The NXT is a far better product. I would have probably ignored buying it if I was not tying to find the Zaino product. After reading all the info in hear, I am probably better off using the products I am familiar with. Besides that, I clean and wax my car just about every other weekend regardless if the paint steel feels waxy or not. I am not in the market for a one time fits all product. A good paint will stay a good paint if it is treated properly. I also believe that the products you use makes a difference. I used to be a Mother's fan until I tried using Meguiars for the first time, and have been using Meguiars ever since for the past 8 years. I am not claiming one is better over the other. I still use some of the mother's products on my other vehicle that has chrome on it. (nothing comes close to mother's wire chorme cleaner for chrome! which has become scarce).

ausie 04-18-2004 12:59 PM

WOW, I got many comments on how good my car looked at the "cruise nights" car show yesterday. It was interesting to hear some of the comments made from those who did not realize the car was mine. One person said to me "why are to taking a picture of that car, its a Ford" I replied why not, its mine. His response was "it looks damn good for a Ford so I guess that is okay then". I was getting stared at more than usual on my way over to the show. I am impressed with the nxt! :cool:

My Cobra 04-21-2004 10:24 AM

where can i pick this stuff up at? also will it mess with the dupont paint in any bad way? have any before and after pics?

HoustonSnake 04-21-2004 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by My Cobra
where can i pick this stuff up at? also will it mess with the dupont paint in any bad way? have any before and after pics?

Any automotive store - O'Reillys, Autozone, Pep Boys, etc. 15 bones I think

venomous 04-21-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

You can get this stuff at walmart, auto zone, and other auto stores. :thumbsup:

My Cobra 04-21-2004 02:50 PM

aiight thanks. I am gettign my car detailed tomorrow so i will wait to pick some up. you guys ever hear of some teflon stuff they put on your cars paint to make it look like brand new? that is what this detailer does and it makes them look so nice. any thoughs on this stuff?

HoustonSnake 04-21-2004 02:53 PM

Quote:

aiight thanks. I am gettign my car detailed tomorrow so i will wait to pick some up. you guys ever hear of some teflon stuff they put on your cars paint to make it look like brand new? that is what this detailer does and it makes them look so nice. any thoughs on this stuff?

Dupont just put a wax with teflon on the shelves at most auto stores...been kinda wondering about it...says it repels dirt...unlike waxing that attracts it :mad:

ausie 04-22-2004 06:55 AM

myths about teflon

Sure, Teflon is durable and nothing sticks to it. The key here is nothing sticks to it. In other words, teflon will not stick to anything, including cookwear (ever see a teflon coated pot that did not flake off over time?). In order for teflon to adhere to a surface, you need to bring the part to be coated with it to approximately 1200°F (melting temperature of teflon). Most if not all things coated with teflon use a powdered or shredded teflon aggregate in a base material. As with the case with the wax (if it truely is teflon) it is more likely microscopic teflon beads in a polyimer base. One thing to avoid especially in the engine is the teflon suspended oils (or any oil additive that claims "will coat all parts with a protective coating"). Why? because they clogg the screen and foul up the oil pump. The main cause of engine wear is a clogged screen and no oil flow. There are chemicals that can be used on engine parts that reduce wear but they have to be annealed into the metals during their fabrication process (parts must be hardened after the coating is applied).

I suspect that the teflon wax is a suspension of teflon material in a polymer synthetic base wax. I think more so, that the word "teflon" is used as a marketing ploy. Next time I am at pep boys or other autozone I will have to look at the container and read it.

That reminds me when I first picked up my Cobra at the dealer. They wanted to charge me lots of money to have a teflon coating put on the paint. I instructed them I will take it dirty and do not wash it please. The paint is perfect as it is and would hate to have swirl marks in it when I drive it off the lot. Since the car was black, I was extremely cautious with their inexperienced detailers, since it took me several hours to remove them from the hood of my explorer when I bought it from the same dealer many years ago and it was black as well.

ausie 04-22-2004 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoustonSnake
Dupont just put a wax with teflon on the shelves at most auto stores...been kinda wondering about it...says it repels dirt...unlike waxing that attracts it :mad:

One would have to try it to believe it. Perhaps my explorer would be a good candiate for this product since it always gets dirty wheter I drive it or not.

Sorry to say the only thing that repels dirt is nothing. However providing a surface that is not sticky like a wax may have merrit. Since my Cobra is now coated with a light haze of dust and pollen I guess that the synthetic waxes don't repel it. I am willing to put the dupont product to the test to see if the dirty explore stays clean. I will report back on that when I get results.

My Cobra 04-22-2004 10:01 AM

ok here is the deal. I am having my car detailed (it is getting done right now) There is a guy that comes from 2 hours away to do a few cars here in town (my girls parents have some very nice cars they get done so they offered to do mine also) They said that this guy has some kind of teflon that he puts on the cars and buffs out and all of that good stuff. They said that it looks brand new and the paint shines like no other. So i figured what the heck. it cost 200 bucks to get done. I have seen the cars this guy has done and it is better than the other details i have had done so i am not sure what this stuff done to it but dang. any insites on what he is doing to make my car look so damn good? He will not tell me (ha ha he wants to keep making the money and he will get it too so i guess he is doing the right things by not telling me.

HoustonSnake 04-22-2004 10:57 AM

Quote:

ok here is the deal. I am having my car detailed (it is getting done right now) There is a guy that comes from 2 hours away to do a few cars here in town (my girls parents have some very nice cars they get done so they offered to do mine also) They said that this guy has some kind of teflon that he puts on the cars and buffs out and all of that good stuff. They said that it looks brand new and the paint shines like no other. So i figured what the heck. it cost 200 bucks to get done. I have seen the cars this guy has done and it is better than the other details i have had done so i am not sure what this stuff done to it but dang. any insites on what he is doing to make my car look so damn good? He will not tell me (ha ha he wants to keep making the money and he will get it too so i guess he is doing the right things by not telling me.

I wonder in your case if you have done any detailing before? Have you ever used a clay bar or a buffer/polisher etc? You might try these things first and see how your ride comes out. Take it to that guy for detailing, get some photos. Get some information about detailing your car yourself...wax stripping, clay bar, cleaner wax, final coat wax etc. Get the stuff ya need and go at it. Compare the differences.

My Cobra 04-22-2004 11:30 PM

ok well i got my car back and i was snooping in this guys van. (looking for a business card ha ha ) I found that he has some kind of liquid teflon that had a 80 dollar sticker on it for a qrt. It took out a lot of small scratches and i can not get anything to stick to it. He threw a cup of water on there and it ran off like nothing i had ever seen. it was great. i was looking around while he was doing a few of the cars. he was putting it on in the sun and had a hot pad on and rubbed it in some weird pattern i think the heat pad melted the teflon stuff a bit then he spread it on like a paste. looks very nice.