SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Autocross/Open Track /OTC updates (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Roll bar requirements (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13300)

gcradic 01-02-2007 08:38 AM

Roll bar requirements

Hey guys, I need a little direction. I plan to install a roll bar sometime this spring so I will be covered for timed events. That is of course, after I get my insurance squared away. But lets not drag that up again....

After talking with Stacey K a bit about his club events, it seems that a roll bar (or cage) meeting SCCA requirements or other sanctioned body will be sufficient for timed events (correct me if I'm wrong STACK).

What I don't want to do, is buy and install a system that will be OK for one type of event, but not others. Now this car is not my daily driver, so losing the rear seat or making entry & egress to the vehicle difficult is not that big a deal. I just don't want to get in "Bo and Luke Duke style".

I don't plan on doing any competition racing anytime soon either. I just want to be able to do the open track and maybe some lesser competitive events. Honestly, I need to spend some time with an in car instructor first.

I already have subframes, so here is my plan over the next few months...

1. Roll Bar (6 or 8 point)
2. Front & Rear strut tower bars (if available)
3. Sube Cobra Daytona Seats with brackets (stock 99 seats suck)
4. 5 point harness'
5. Drive shaft safety loop
6. Helmet, approved by whatever current standard is in force
7. Oil separator & breather (for PVC and TB, probably the JLT version)

Now I'm a noob at this, so please feel free to toss some constructive criticism my way. I'd like to know what you guys are using, and if you'd recommend it to others.

Thanks!

George

flynfink 01-02-2007 09:50 AM

Autopower 6 pt. is SCCA approved, will work for all open track sanctioning bodies and is bolt in. Just make sure to get the correct roll bar padding and install it correctly.

Stack 01-26-2007 10:03 AM

George... you are correct. And I'll say this too... our competitive requirements are usually more strict than almost any other club except SCCA. NASA, for example, does not require roll bars for their time trial competition. I personally think this is very negligent on their part... but thats another thread.

My point is, using our specs, it should keep you 'legal' for almost any competitive (but non-wheel-to-wheel) event. You don't even need to go 6-point if you don't want to... 4-point is our minimum for our time trials (as it is for SCCA Time Trials).

4-point makes every-day livability that much easier than a six point... and if you're still driving it on the street... a 4-point would be considered safer (in terms of things your head could hit in a street accident.)

We also are very particular on harness mounting... so if you can pass our specs, you will pass anyone elses and then some

gcradic 01-27-2007 06:09 AM

Thanks Stacey

Thanks for the info Stacey. As you may have seen from an earlier post, I sold my Cobra and it's now being parted out. Check classifieds forum for more info if interested. I bought a 88 Saleen hatchback two days ago and need to get to a frame shop in MD for a cage quote when the weather breaks. I will take your advice and go with the 4 point since this will not be a track only car. While I'm out of the running for SVT track events now, I would still love to hook up with Triangle Z Club for VA track events this season or next.
Thanks again to everyone who has pitched in. It is unfortunate that I could not save #310 from it's eminent doom.:(

cobrabitn 01-27-2007 10:27 AM

George,

Our track events are open to anyone so I'm not sure what you meant by "While I'm out of the running for SVT track events now," unless you meant you didn't want to run at our events. Congrats on the Saleen! :thumbsup:

gcradic 01-27-2007 07:30 PM

Cool

Sorry, I thought that since I no longer owned my SVT Cobra I would not be allowed to come out and play. As soon as I have her track worthy, I'll be looking for some action!

cobrabitn 01-27-2007 09:20 PM

The club policy is if you joined the SCMC owning an SVT Cobra and sell it but want to remain a club member, you can by keeping your membership current.

That means you can remain a member for as long as you like but if you let your membership lapse then you have to own a Cobra or GT 500 to get back in. We have several members that no longer own their Cobras but are still members and can still reap the benefits from the club. Some of them now own GMs but paid their membership for 5 years so they wouldn't lapse for that length of time. That means they can still reap the benefits of the club with reduced entry fees and club vendors.

Thanks,

Tony