SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   '03-'04 Cobra Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   shifter for Cobra (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15894)

Blackstone 06-11-2008 04:39 PM

shifter for Cobra

Is there any reason to replace the stock shifter with something better? If there is a better one, which one and why?

cfradam 06-11-2008 07:20 PM

if your going to use it mostly as a DD then stick with the stocker.if you plan on using it for a good amount of track duty then you my want to upgrade to an MGW,pro 50,or a steeda unit.

RF Cobra 06-11-2008 07:44 PM

Some people don't like the stock shifter. Two "problems" are some people have a problem with third gear (trick is not to try to make it go into third, just guide it and it will shift fine). Another issue is the notchiness that can be experienced with the stock shifter. If you decide to replace it, MGW is the way to go for short smooth shifts.

On the flip side, one problem experienced with a shorter shifter is shifting faster than you get the clutch pedal down so it can take some adjusting to get used to an even shorter shift without grinding the gears if you like to shift fast.

Overall, it's mostly personal preference.

BoostFiend 07-01-2008 11:49 AM

I hated the stock shifter even for normal driving. I got the MGW now and its short and crisp.

Hazman 07-01-2008 08:37 PM

If you decide to replace as I did then the MGW is the only way to go!!!!

JROC 07-02-2008 01:25 AM

I prefer the Tri-Ax over the MGW. The MGW is smoother and less notchy, but I think the Tri-Ax is easier to bang gears with. I'm also not fond of the MGW handle positions, but many like them.

tazzracing1 07-02-2008 05:40 PM

I really like the MGW you cannot go wrong. I had 1 in a 97 cobra and now in the 03 cobra excellant product.

avmech 07-19-2008 11:31 PM

I dont know about you but I have the T-rex problem, have big chest and short arms, and with the stock shifter at my knees it was awkward to shift in the stock form. I bought the B&M shifter and love it. It sits taller then the other shifters but it is short on throw and very solid. I have it on the 26% reduction it goes to 30% but I'm telling you that I can shift just as fast as the other guys and I have havent missed a shift yet and I have been running it for about 3 months.

03White_Venom 07-21-2008 03:09 PM

Stock, Steeda, 5.0 I missed 3rd gear like I was doing it on purpose if I was at WOT.... I now have the MGW and LOVE IT!

ausie 07-28-2008 06:41 AM

I sat in a Cobra with an MGW. What a better feel than the stock shifter which I still have.

Visit the Tremec web site, they recommend to replace the stock shifter for several reasons: bent shift forks as well as damage to syncros.

Daily driver routine: typical shift 1, 2, 4, 6. Forget finding 3rd gear, and fith is even worse. Sometimes I miss the gear I want and wind up downshifting by accident. That is not good when you do that at the track (hit second gear when going for 4th after maxing out 3rd gear, lucky I did not damage anything).

Anything has to be better than the stock shifter. My plans are for the MGW.

ausie 07-29-2008 06:17 AM

All of this talk on the MGW shifter, had to get one so I ordered it yesterday.

MGWLTD 07-29-2008 09:40 AM

you wont be sorry!!!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

regards
george

ausie 08-01-2008 06:38 AM

Only took two days to get the shifter. Installed in less than an hour the following day. Decided not to use the adjustable stops as they were not necessary with the T56. Wow, big difference. I can reach every gear without having to stretch my arm out. :thumbsup:

I am too familiar with the factory shifter's sloppyness in neutral, it will take a bit of getting used to with the stronger centering springs. So far I enjoyed my first test drive. Down shifting into 2nd gear is a bit different but at least I have a better feel where the gears are. Very nice piece of equipment. :thumbsup:

ausie 08-03-2008 05:26 PM

A few days after install, noticed a bit of gear noise when in 6th gear. Other than that I love the MGW shifter. I can actually use 3rd and 5th with ease. I am 6'1" and had to reach far to get into 3rd gear and 5th was a bit too far unless I leaned forward. Now I can shift without any effort.

ausie 08-16-2008 11:11 AM

Update: Shifter much quieter now after driving for a while. Best thing I ever did to my car. :thumbsup: I do not know how I managed without it.