SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Shelby GT500 Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   07 Cobra vert Article (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10908)

Riversnake 12-06-2005 02:28 PM

07 Cobra vert Article

......with pics pics pics

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=3010

mojosvt 12-07-2005 01:03 PM

man that is beautiful!!!!

Miguel 12-08-2005 12:59 AM

After a light reading, I think a lot of the gloom and doom about this car has been lifted, it has tons of power. As for the suspenssion, I just went to a track event where a total newbie in a new Mustang GT, was flying through the twisty bits faster than anyone else in the green group, and this included 2 SVT Cobras. Everyone was astounded how well the car handled a series of tight complex turns. This new Cobra should be a serious track machine.

cobrabitn 12-08-2005 10:28 PM

It's not a Cobra...it's a Shelby GT 500. :mad:

Riversnake 12-09-2005 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabitn

Yeah well whatever :D I still would not buy it if it is as pictured. Just dont do anything for me. Will hang on to my little coupe for now.

Miguel 12-09-2005 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabitn

There is a Cobra on the grill and on the sides, looks like the old Cobra Jets. There is an SVT logo in the tach, it is actualy a shift light. SVT claims that weight and packaging kept them from using irs. For what its worth, the Mustang GT seems to do quite well on the track. But yeah, stragely enough the word 'Cobra' does not appear in the name. FoMoCo's marketing dept. is just too slow to keep up with the SVT boys??

Upon further review, CS said that the live axel is good enough for the street, so griping about the lack of irs is bull.
Does this mean that those that want to track it are SOL?

Steeda Snakes 01-06-2006 12:07 AM

I still do not like the new mustang or the GT500. They are just butt ugly. I owned a '66 fastback, if I wanted a retro car I would buy another '65 -'68.

As far as the GT500 is concerned; bigger HP, bigger boost, bigger weight, bigger butt and bigger price tag. Perfomance numbers are about the same and the boost level on the '03 is less. As far as handling, the new platform has the upper hand, but just add some springs, CC plates, sub-frames, etc. to the '03/'04 and you are set.

Just my opinion, if you want one, go buy it. I will stick with the current SVT Cobras as long as I can, (is there a '03 Saleen Cobra in my future?) However, I do like the new Roush. Does anyone know when the Stage 3 will be available?

Snkeyes 01-17-2006 02:25 PM

The Roush Stage III should be out in the next four to six months. I imagine they would try to beat the GT500 to the lots.

dewone 01-18-2006 10:30 AM

It's not a Cobra...it's a Shelby GT 500.

What are the cobras doing all over the car then? Don't quite know why it's not in the name but if a person walked up to one they would have to come to the conclusion that it has snakes on it, it must be a Cobra Shelby GT-500 IMHO.

cobrabitn 01-18-2006 10:17 PM

Official Name for the car is Ford Shelby GT 500. The older Shelby's had snakes on them too but they weren't called Cobras, they were called Shelbys.

Bill D. went to the Detroit Auto show and said they will be listed in the SHELBY registry but are supposed to have COA's with them.

ProfChaos 01-23-2006 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miguel
After a light reading, I think a lot of the gloom and doom about this car has been lifted, it has tons of power. As for the suspension, I just went to a track event where a total newbie in a new Mustang GT, was flying through the twisty bits faster than anyone else in the green group, and this included 2 SVT Cobras. Everyone was astounded how well the car handled a series of tight complex turns. This new Cobra should be a serious track machine.

According to an '05 edition of Road and Track, engineering of the '05-present Mustang chassis has eliminated a great deal of the notorious Mustang "uni-body flex" that has been an issue with the car since the Fox Body days. So, it does not surpirse me that the '05-present Mustang GT has developed the reputation of handling more aggressivley on the track than earlier Mustangs, even SVT Cobras. Even so, you can also eliminate uni-body flex---probably even moreso than the new chassis does--by welding-in Steeda moly tubular subframe braces with cross baces for the seats. (I had this done to my '96 Cobra coupe--along with Eibach Pro Series lowering kit and Tokico 5-way adjustable shocks--, and man-o-man, what a difference in the handling of the car! Zoo-om!) :bounce:

If indeed the "performance numbers are about the same" with the GT500 [as with the '03-'04 Cobras] taking into account the added weight and what-not, my aesthetic sensibilities lean in the direction of driving an '03-'04 Mystichrome convertible--or even an '03-'04 Mystichrome coupe. The '03-'04 Mystichrome is a darned-beautiful car with a very nice, styiish and modern-looking interior. I personally prefer the '95-'98 understated and leaner Cobra body style in the coupe, but prefer the '03-'04 Cobra convertible's styling to even the '95-'98 Cobra coupe's understated elegance--and then there's the Eaton supercharger in the '03-'04 Cobra, as a kicker. :)

Though I respect the difference of opinion of those enamoured with the styling of the new Shelby GT500, I guess I'll just wait for the GT500 to make an appearance (so prices on left-over '03-'04 Cobras drop even further), pray for a windfall, and then look around for clean, low-mileage, and reasonably-priced '03-'04 Mystichrome Cobra convertibles. :D

cheers,
--Professor Chaos

03JRClassicStg3 03-21-2006 12:55 PM

Is it just me...

Or do the tires and wheels look a little weak on this model? I mean, put some wider meats down on the ground...make a statement...JMO.:thumbsup:

blk04cobra1 03-23-2006 10:16 AM

IMO the wheels are the worst part about the car...well im not too fond of the stickers either, but I guess it's a heritage thing with Shelby.