SCMC Message Forum

SCMC Message Forum (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   American Iron/AV8SS/Grand Am Cup (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   NASA Texas AI/CMC 2006 Season Opener - 4/5 Feb! (http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11247)

adam_ginsberg 01-27-2006 01:11 PM

NASA Texas AI/CMC 2006 Season Opener - 4/5 Feb!

http://www.shrackracing.com/ai-cmc-logo.jpg

Texas AI/CMC will kick off it's 2006 racing season at a brand new facility named Motorsport Ranch Houston. This will be the track's 1st competition event and from the testing many of us have done there, it should be an exciting weekend on Feb. 4&5. Check out www.msrhouston.com for more track information.

We expect to have nearly 30 AI/CMC cars for this season opener so don't miss it if you're in the area!

Sat. 1/28- Statewide Annual Dyno Day (Austin, Dallas, Houston)
Fri. 2/3- Friday test day/ Annual Tech Inspections
Sat. 2/4- practice, qualify, Race!
Sun. 2/5- practice, qualify, Race!

Levi 02-01-2006 09:27 AM

Will they allow spectators to come out and watch the racing?

Admiral 02-01-2006 08:05 PM

Yes, but I think they are going to pop you for a $10 admission fee. :(

cobrabitn 02-01-2006 08:48 PM

SCMC starts popping this year, too. It's a good way to help offset the increased track rental fee. :p

Levi 02-02-2006 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral
Yes, but I think they are going to pop you for a $10 admission fee. :(

That's ok, we get to see some AI/CMC racing. :cool: Racing is the key word. :D

Admiral 02-02-2006 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cobrabitn
SCMC starts popping this year, too. It's a good way to help offset the increased track rental fee. :p

I'm not so sure it's the way to go. Folks who want to come out to take a looksee are discouraged by the spectator fees IMO. With NASA I'm allowed 3 crew members which is often my friends/family.

Getting anyone else to jump up and head out seems to be an often discussed option that never materializes. Add a fee and they seems to never "find the time" to get out there. Make it free and you can bust 'em in the chops come Monday - Hey, where WHERE YOU??? No excuses. LOL.

Sort of like making that first hit free, once you get them out there to see what is going on, then you get them a ride with an instructor - addicted for life after that. YMMV.

:)

Levi 02-02-2006 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Admiral
I'm not so sure it's the way to go. Folks who want to come out to take a looksee are discouraged by the spectator fees IMO. With NASA I'm allowed 3 crew members which is often my friends/family.

Getting anyone else to jump up and head out seems to be an often discussed option that never materializes. Add a fee and they seems to never "find the time" to get out there. Make it free and you can bust 'em in the chops come Monday - Hey, where WHERE YOU??? No excuses. LOL.

Sort of like making that first hit free, once you get them out there to see what is going on, then you get them a ride with an instructor - addicted for life after that. YMMV.

:)

Excellent point. I was thinking the same thing. :thumbsup:

cobrabitn 02-02-2006 04:04 PM

So you are saying that you would rather make the school participants pay more rather then charge a small fee to those that want to watch? Which would you rather do as a PAYING participant?

1. Pay an additional $25.00 per event (remember, a large number of spectators can make up the difference)

2. Let the people who want to check it out help offset the cost of the additional rental fee by paying a spectator fee?

Personally, I would opt for number 2. Participants will be allowed to have a pass or two for firends but anything over 2 and they will have to pay the spectator fee. When it comes to $$, everyone wants the club or organization to eat it not realizing that the fees go up to include:

Increased Insurance fees
Increased Track Rental fees
Increased Corner Worker fees
Increased Emergency Personnel fees
Increased Wrecker fees

All those little $5.00 and $10.00 add up. Or maybe we can just send you the bill for the difference of this year vs. last year and we can let everyone in at no charge? :D

Think about it, the people who are paying to run deserve to go to these track events at a reasonable rate, those that want to check it out should pay the gate fee if they truly want to see what happens at these events. JMHO

Admiral 02-02-2006 04:22 PM

Hey man, I'm not sure what the problem is here but it seems as if you are a bit angry about something. You can pass the costs on to whomever you wish. :D

Costs are going up for EVERYONE on these events. NASA passed along an increase in entry fees to the PAYING participants here in Texas and now charges $10 bucks for spectators. My OPINION is that they won't get many spectators. That's too bad, cuts off part of the supply end of the pipeline from my point of view. :(

Since the costs are an item which must be paid, if not enough spectators come then who picks up the difference??? The paying participants.

cobrabitn 02-02-2006 05:02 PM

Oh...I'm not angry Admiral, I just want others who read this board to know that when your insurance goes up $300.00 per event, and your track fee goes up $400.00, the corner worker bill goes up, then someone has to pay. Unfortunately, costs go up for everyone including those that want to just watch. :(

In defense of NASA, I would say that they would rather charge their racers $10.00 more to race rather then $20.00 or $25.00 more and let the people who want to watch pay the difference. I'm sure they have a budget so if they don't have any spectators then the sanctioning body would have to eat the cost since the racers have a fixed fee. They won't come back and say, "well we have to charge another $10.00 per racer guys because we didn't have enough spectators." They have to eat the cost difference.

Like you said, everything is going up...even when I went to the MCA's Mustang 40th, they charged an entry fee just to look; however, I do understand your logic. :thumbsup:

Admiral 02-02-2006 05:23 PM

I hear, ya, was worried I'd hit a nerve with my ramblings. The math is surely dependent upon the number of participants, typical NASA weekend has 100+, so maybe it's easier for them to pass along the $300/$400 type cost increases to the drivers, that's $7 bucks each and they get it paid.

I really love the SCMC events here in Texas, laid back, many of my friends are instructing and driving, and always a great time. I'd pay extra for that anyday! :thumbsup:

Levi 02-02-2006 05:32 PM

Just an idea.
Maybe we should consider getting our club sponsored manufacturing companies to rent booths to show off their wares. Give something for the spectator to see other then just seeing use running around a track. People will pay to see fender to fender racing because they understand that itís racing. They donít always understand Open track until you give them a ride, then their hooked. This may help the spectator to understand why we do what we do in the first place. :cool:

cobrabitn 02-02-2006 09:09 PM

Levi,

The problem is you have to have a ton of help to keep up with all of this but the vendor idea is a very good one and one we hope to use at the 2006 SVT Cobra Nationals! Vendors also want to have spectators and a show will help in that aspect. The only SCMC open track event that we have that has a car show tied to it is the 2006 SVT Cobra National to be held in Mi at Gingerman Raceway in September.

SCMC tries to keep our track events affordablefor everyone but especially for our membership. :thumbsup:

SIUNARA 02-02-2006 11:39 PM

Increased Insurance fees
Increased Track Rental fees
Increased Corner Worker fees
Increased Emergency Personnel fees
Increased Wrecker fees

All those little $5.00 and $10.00 add up. Or maybe we can just send you the bill for the difference of this year vs. last year and we can let everyone in at no charge?

Tony,

You forgot to mention the $500 race purse for the highest finishing cobra club member in the av8ss race. If I'm not mistaken this was a club decision, not a track or insurance company decision. If you're going to present facts to back up your opinion, make sure you are forthcoming with all of the facts.

It is my opinion that charging family, friends, and potential track junkies a fee to support a club sponsered race purse or an increase in the track venue is not the way to go. I agree with the statement above that it could cut off a very important part of the pipeline. You mentioned that those that want to "crash our party" should have to pay. No one is crashing the party, they are coming because a friend or family member traveled a long distance to participate in a track event by racing or open tracking, or because they live in the area and want to check things out. I for one have friends down south that I don't see very often...having them stop by the venue is a great way to catch up, hangout, and for them to see some great racing and open track action. Charging a fee may deter them from coming, as well as potential future club members. Increased rental/insurance fees should be paid by sponsers or club members participating in the event and race purses should be covered by sponsers and/or the club itself. Club members should not have to support a race purse nor should spectators...that is why there are sponsers and also what "extra money" in the club budget is for. I believe you are passing the "buck" onto the wrong people.

This is just my opinion so take it for what's it worth.

Sorry to say you won't have the opportunity to "try" to pass me this year at the Cobra Club event. I have decided to pass on the event for a few reasons. If you are really feeling the need to avenge last year's humiliation let me know, I will be at several track events this year...I can let you know my schedule so you can come out to play if you're not scared. ;)

cobrabitn 02-03-2006 12:12 AM

Reread your PRIVATE message Don, there are certain criteria for that purse and there is an "free entry" allotment for racers/participants to have guests. So your friends would not have to pay if you opt to give them one of your passes for the weekend, that decision is yours to make. :thumbsup:

The purse money for club members is from last year's open track event revenue, not from this year's gate fees. Gate fees are to cover the track expenses for this year. If we had zero spectators and the criteria is met for the AV8SS race this year then we still compensate the club member that runs in the AV8SS race.

BTW, you're probably better off not coming south this year anyway because I'd have a little surprise for you. Last year's humiliation... :rolleyes: