Thread: Headers & EGR
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
ggrab

I put the headers on this past weekend. I went with a set without the EGR fitting and eliminated the EGR. I found a scrap piece of 1/4" aluminum plate at work and traced the shape and bolt pattern of the EGR on to the plate. I then rough cut the shape on the bandsaw, drilled the holes on the drill press, and finished the shape of the part on the belt sander. I took the part home and gave it a little buffing before applying some silicone and bolting it in place. It really looks good (not that my opion is biased). Removing the EGR and the smog pump tubing really freed up plenty of working room too.

I ended up buying a set of 304 Stainless Steel 1-5/8" headers off of Ebay for $136 + shipping (brand new). I thought the price was too good to be true, but the quality of the welds in the pictures and the feedback on Ebay were both impressive, so I took a chance. I had no trouble bolting them in and so far I am very pleased. They look great. I expected the job to take all day, but I completed the header installation in about 3 hours, not including the fabrication of the EGR delete plate.

The check engine light does come on now, but I have not noticed any ill side effects. The car definitely has more power from around 4,000 RPM on up. It's funny, but the car actually seems a little quieter now. The tone is definitely deeper, but the harshness of the exhaust note has diminished. It should wake up the sound a bit when I get the 40 series Flowmasters put on shortly. Nothing sounds like a 5.0 with Flows.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm glad that I was able to hear your experiences before making my decision.
ggrab is offline   Reply With Quote