SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > '03-'04 Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
svt2004cobra

Exclamation coil on plug

I have a few questions. but first tell you why i need new coil on plug , so someone else doesnt make the same mistake. I washed the engine off last week because I have not washed it in a while and to get any salt and grim off the car and engine after winter. I got some water down the spark plug hole because i got to close with pressure water and it got under the coil on plug cover on the valve cover.only one is acting up when given lots of gas or slow driven 5 or 6 gear it misses and replaced all the spark plugs (time for new plugs anyways) that help alot but still misses a little on the rear cylinder passenger side bank.

First I cant find any motorcraft or ford racing parts coil on plug for the 2004 Cobra 4.6L 4V DOHC. any ideal why ? or where to get one or two. dealership found one but no motorcraft# just #12029. and $80. he didn't sound to sure if it was right part??said it was for 4v dohc 4.6L.

what is some of the best coil on plug aftermarket for the 2004 cobra?

what do you have in your cobra?

and where to find them ?
svt2004cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 08:34 PM   #2
mrpork
SCMC Member

Send a message via Yahoo to mrpork
i to wash my motor and it sounded like it was back firing. just let it dry out and you'll be fine.if you cant wait just take a air line and blow out the water.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svt2004cobra
I have a few questions. but first tell you why i need new coil on plug , so someone else doesnt make the same mistake. I washed the engine off last week because I have not washed it in a while and to get any salt and grim off the car and engine after winter. I got some water down the spark plug hole because i got to close with pressure water and it got under the coil on plug cover on the valve cover.only one is acting up when given lots of gas or slow driven 5 or 6 gear it misses and replaced all the spark plugs (time for new plugs anyways) that help alot but still misses a little on the rear cylinder passenger side bank.

First I cant find any motorcraft or ford racing parts coil on plug for the 2004 Cobra 4.6L 4V DOHC. any ideal why ? or where to get one or two. dealership found one but no motorcraft# just #12029. and $80. he didn't sound to sure if it was right part??said it was for 4v dohc 4.6L.

what is some of the best coil on plug aftermarket for the 2004 cobra?

what do you have in your cobra?

and where to find them ?

ENGINE:2.3whipple 3.25pullie,60lb injectors,spec 3+clutch,fidanza aluminum flywheel,liberty 26 splineinput shaft,fiore firewall adj.clutch quadrant kit,4lb lower, upgraded h/e,upgraded intercooler,k&n cold air kit,hyperflex ploy motor mounts.
FUEL SYSTEM:fore fuel hat,twin gt40 pumps, fore fuel rails,upgraded fpdm(stage2)
INTERIOR:cdc light bar, mgw shifter.
SUSPENSION:h&r race springs,brembo big brake kit up front,poly thru out the irs,billet flow irs brace/irs brackets.
EXTERIOR:fr500 anthracite, kdw'2(275front,295rear)
cobra billet hood vents,black out tail light tint,hid plate light.
AS ALLWAYS MORE MOD'S TO COME
mrpork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
SuperG

If I remember correctly, I bought my coil-on-plugs from an e-bay store and it's working fine. Also, it was like $35. If I can my order, I'll post it up.

Otherwise, if I need to order Ford OEM, I call Steve Tousley at Tousley Ford...just ask for him in the parts department. He is great to work with.
2010 Shelby GT500 - Stock

http://members.cardomain.com/supergr
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
svt2004cobra

mrpork.

i usaully wash the engine when i wash the car and never had any problems. but when i it miss fired for a few days , i took off the covers to check the coils and plugs and there was water droplets on the under side of the cover at rear cylinder on both covers i pull the coil on plugs off one at a time to check for water down in plug holes and found 1/4 in water in the rear passenger cylinder plug hole, plug was rusty , so i did blow it out with air compresser,with towel to catch the rusty water so it wouldn't get all over me and the engine. & soaked up any moisture left in it with shop paper towel.( with plug still in of course) bought new plugs ( was time for new plugs anyways ), cleaned plug holes out ,got the rust out of that one hole from the plug, when i pulled that rear passenger plug out you could see where it had been arching across from from coil on plg spring to the metal above the threads ( socket area). other that all the plugs was still in good conditions good sign of engine running right ( other than the one plug and coil on plug miss firing a little).

my F150 5.4L has coil on plug go out every year or so. because water drip off the cowl onto he engine right into two or three plug holes on the coils one is wosre than the others. so i put alot of dielectric grease in the spring and rubber plug boot and around it . but that only helps from moisture getting to the connections on spring boot & plug . need a cover over the coil on plugs but since they're on top of the engine you would have cover all the back half of the engine. to many wires and throttle cable in the way to put cover just over coils and seal them to keep any moisture or water splashing on them and the coil connections. or better seal between cowl and the hood. or drain hole in cowl in different place if thats the problem.
svt2004cobra is offline   Reply With Quote