SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Mustang Events - Track and Show > Upcoming Events
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Please select your preference below:
I can make it March 27, 2010 2 7.69%
I can make it April 24, 2010 13 50.00%
I can make either day, March 27 or April 24, 2010 11 42.31%
I can't make either date, I don't like cruising the Dragon. 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2010, 12:11 AM   #16
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Okay, I think we should go with our original plan of meeting on Saturday morning in Hickory and traveling to Asheville and then to a lunch stop and go in the back way to the dragon. Then maybe come back and go over the cherohala skyway and then go to the hotel and get dinner in Pigeon Forge. I think I am locked in to the Inn at Christmas Place due to compromise. Have to take the wife somewhere nice if she is going to go.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #17
SonicBlue

Edit: Didn't catch the previous post when I entered this.

Is Apr 24 - 25 decided on yet?

If you're planning on Pigeon Forge to Deals Gap and back, it would be about 110 miles, while continuing around the bottom of the Park and up through Gatlinburg would be about 150 miles. I'd be more than glad to help with directions if you need it. I've found most of the back roads and shortest routes in that area over the years.
SonicBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 01:06 AM   #18
cobrabitn

Yes, it is April 24-25, 2010

Okay, here's what I think we should do and remember the YMR is going on Friday not Saturday but anyway what do you think of this...

Meet in Hickory NC continue down I40 through Asheville, NC and eat somewhere off the Smoky Mountain Parkway, US Hwy 74, in Waynesville, NC. We can then take Hwy 74 to Hwy 28 toward the Deal's Gap store. Meet the Atlanta group at Deal's Gap store and we can then run the dragon in reverse.

Once finished, we can stop at the lake for a regroup and photo op and then run the dragon forwards to the Cherohala Skyway. Run the skyway, Hwy 143, to Hwy 360 and then proceed to Hwy 411 into Maryville, TN.

We can stay on Hwy 411 through town till we hit Hwy 338 and run that into Hwy 66, Sevierville, TN, where the YMR cruise-in is located and afterward proceed to our hotel in Pigeon Forge, TN.

Thoughts??

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:36 PM   #19
SonicBlue

Sounds like you're thinking of bypassing the I-40 rockslide. So far they're looking at reopening in March. If anyone is wanting to go to Gatlinburg from Pigeon Forge, the rockslide there is expected to be open by mid-March.
Old 02-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #20
cobrabitn

That was the plan all along, to go from the NC side rather than go to TN and then go back to NC. It will cut down on travel time by going down Hwy 28.

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #21
SonicBlue

A couple of alternatives to consider, if I may? 411 is a good 4-lane cruising road into Maryville, but not so much past town. I'd recommend taking 321 out of Maryville down to Townsend.
Or, bypass Maryville altogether and turn off 411 onto 72 just after Fort Loudon. That ends at 129 which you could take almost to the regroup spot, only turn onto Foothills Pkwy and take that to Townsend.
In Townsend, you could turn to stay on 321 through Wears Valley and into Pigeon Forge. Or you could really finish it off by going straight and drop into the Park to take Little River Rd to Gatlinburg and then up to Pigeon Forge.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #22
cobrabitn

Are you volunteering to lead?

I looked at the map and thought about the 321 route from 411 or the other route you suggested but I wanted to keep it simple. Didn't you run with us before??

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #23
SonicBlue

That makes me think of a route that would save some time while not missing anything, if you decided to take the Fort Loudon to Foothills Pkwy route.

Instead of taking 28 all the way to Deals Gap, turn onto 143 to Robbinsville, where you could pick up the Atlanta group. Run the Cherohala Skyway to Tellico Plains and head up to Fort Loudon. Drop down to run the Dragon to Deals Gap. If anyone needs to head back from there, they can. Run back up the Dragon to Foothills Pkwy and go from there.
Old 02-08-2010, 10:19 PM   #24
SonicBlue

I keep responding just after you respond to my last post.

Yes, I ran with y'all two years ago. Sonic Blue GT Vert (I guess that's obvious though). If I was to even think about leading, I'd have to find a Termi to drive. But then it would have to be a Sonic Blue Vert too. Got an extra one laying around?

Actually, I think the idea in my last post simplifies it quite a bit. Let’s see, starting from I-40 in Asheville, your suggested route looks to be about 275 miles and 6.75 hours drive-time (not counting traffic & stops).

So, what do you think of this? From I-40 in Asheville W to 74 through Waynesville, to 28 to 143 to meet the Atlanta crew in Robbinsville, W on the Cherohala Skyway (143/165) to Tellico Plains, either 360 to 411 or 68 to 411 N to Fort Loudon, to 72, S to 129 down the Dragon to Deals Gap and back up the Dragon to Foothills Pkwy, to 321 E through Townsend and Wears Valley into Pigeon Forge, then N up 441 to 66 to the YMR cruise-in and back S to Pigeon Forge. Simple, huh? The only back-tracking would be on the Dragon and between Pigeon Forge and Sevierville, and folks could stop at their hotel before heading to the cruise-in if they wanted to. That comes out to about 260 miles and 6.5 hours. Nice route all the way, too.

The Dragon calendar says the Georgia Chapter of the SCMC will be there April 9-11. ???
Old 02-15-2010, 10:55 PM   #25
cobrabitn

The GA chapter will be there on the 24th as stated in this thread. We need to get that changed on their website to the right weekend. I like the route except I think we should do the double dip on the dragon first since I think we will be meeting in Robbinsville/Deal's Gap store at 2:00 p.m. which I figure would take an hour to run and then leave us the skyway. How long do you think that would take to go around? I didn't want to run the dragon at night. The GT vert would be a good leader, too many cops on the road to get going wide open and maybe you can keep these guys in line.

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-16-2010, 12:40 AM   #26
cobrabitn

Just made room reservations at the Inn at Christmas Place. We've been wanting to stay there for years so we'll give it a whirl!

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-16-2010, 09:38 PM   #27
WhiteSnake01
SCMC Member

So what is the word? Do I need to make hotel reservations?

2001 Oxford White SVT Cobra Coupe
JLT CAI, 3:73 Gears, Pro 5.0 Shifter, H & R Sport Springs, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, Maximum Motorsports Sub-Frame connectors, KOOKs Long Tube Headers & Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back, KONI Sport Adjustable Shocks & Struts, Brimbo Big Brake Upgrade (front), Russell Brake Line Kit, 03/04 Terminator Engine Upgrade, McLeod Street Extreme Clutch Kit, McLeod Flywheel, 485hp, Custom Tuned and Built by ProDyno

2013 F-150 4X4 SUPERCREW SVT RAPTOR
Tuxedo Black Metallic
Black Interior w/Blue Accent Seat

WhiteSnake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:03 PM   #28
cobrabitn

I'll be sending out a club message to go over more of the details, but if you plan to spend the night, you can reserve a room at the Inn at Christmas Place. Rates run from $129.00 to $299.00 a night but they give you a 10% discount if you are a AAA member. Robbie and I discussed more details today via telephone so we'll put more out in a mailbox message.

Thanks,

Tony

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:34 AM   #29
SonicBlue

Okay, starting from Deals Gap at 2:00, running the Dragon and back to Deals Gap in an hour makes it 3:00. Dropping down 129 to the Cherohala Skyway (143/165) should get to Tellico Plains around 5:00 with a short stop. From there, taking 68 to Madisonville, 411 to Maryville, 321 through Townsend to Pigeon Forge and then up 441 would get you to Sevierville around 7:15-ish - plus stops. The YMR will have left the Cruise-in by then, from what I've read. The sun goes down at 8:15 that night.

Going through Townsend is only about 15 minutes or so longer than the 411/338/66 route and it's more scenic. The Foothills Parkway version would add another 15 minutes on top of that - plus stops.

I'm glad to help with the route, but I'd feel awful odd leading a Cobra club around by the nose in a GT.
Old 02-17-2010, 01:35 AM   #30
cobrabitn

We don't care about what kind of Mustang you drive, we just want to have some fun. I think maybe try to start an hour earlier. The problem is lunch, maybe we can have it in Robbinsville? Is there a good place to eat there?

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!