Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2004, 09:23 AM   #1
JenRem

Send a message via AIM to JenRem
Intake recommendations

I want to upgrade my intake, so what options do I have? I think most people go with a cold air induction setup, but is there something better with a reasonable cost? I know RAI is an option, but are they better than CAI, and how much are they? I’ve done some research on cold air induction and I found a Roush Racing kit for about $200, that a couple of people have recommended. Anyone have any experience with these? I’ve been told they are better than the MAC and K&N kits, and I know they don’t cost nearly as much as the BBK kit. I don’t need a polished tube anyway, because I want it for go, not show. What do you all think? Thanks!!!

Jen

2001 Mineral Grey Convertible
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:18 PM   #2
NewFoundPower

Send a message via AIM to NewFoundPower
Try www.jlttruecoldair.com. They have one of the best CAI and it is very affordable. On the Terminators there is a gain of about 20rwhp!!! Great bang for the buck.

-D-
#2470 of 3768

JLT CAI in Silver
MGW T-56 Shifter
Bassani Cat-back
MAC H-Pipe with Hi-flow Cats
SS Bumper Inserts
Kenny Brown Springs
Kenny Brown C/C Plates
Kenny Brown IRS Bushings
DS-G3s
NewFoundPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
Try www.jlttruecoldair.com. They have one of the best CAI and it is very affordable. On the Terminators there is a gain of about 20rwhp!!! Great bang for the buck.

-D-
I actually had an RAI painted mineral grey that I bought from JLT that I have to send back because it will not go on the car with my MM strut tower brace.

Another really nice system I found was the Tunable Inductions (aka Densecharger ) they seem to get really good gains also.

WMS is another to check out.

on the flip side, the Mac, BBK, and K&N I would not recommend, and I have honestly never seen anyone run or heard anything good about the Roush unit for an 01 Cobra
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:22 PM   #4
Abneriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenRem
I I know RAI is an option, but are they better than CAI, and how much are they?
I was thinking about picking up an RAI from JLT simply due to the heavy rains + the fact that I'll just pull the headlight when I go to the track anyway...but on their website it says it might rub...something to think about before purchasing.

www.jlttruecoldair.com has the prices on theirs. Many cobra owners claim they're the best when it comes to CAI/RAI's.

street racing is
Abneriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
Cobra4me
R&R4ever

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4me
cai question

I noticed you mentioned the tunable induction system, What do you think about the meter forward system or do you recommend the full length system? By the way I too have 01 mineral gray coupe like yours but with less mods
Cobra4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2004, 09:55 PM   #6
Lumpydogs

2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupes ROCK!

www.lumpydogmotorsports.com
Lumpydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 10:43 AM   #7
JenRem

Send a message via AIM to JenRem
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I actually ordered the Roush kit, and it came in yesterday. When I tried to install it I realized that it would not work because the opening in the throttle body is oval, and the kit had a round piece. The guy at the store said it only came in round??!!? So back to the store it went. On the way home, I saw an '03 - no - I HEARD an '03 pull into a gas station so I followed him in. He had a Bassani system on the car and a bunch of other goodies, and he was on the way to get the car dynoed. He said that Roush filed for bankruptcy last year or so and that is why he would not buy anything from Roush. By the way, I am recruiting anyone I can to the website!

So...now I have a store credit and I will see if they carry any of your suggestions. They also suggested lowering springs, etc, but I want to get my horsepower-goodies before I do anything that is simply cosmetic.

Hey now...don't forget the mineral grey VERT!

2001 Mineral Grey Convertible
JenRem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 11:40 AM   #8
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Hey now...don't forget the mineral grey VERT!
Mineral Grey 01's OWN this thread

Quote:
I am recruiting anyone I can to the website!
SWEET, you rock
now you need to start recruiting them to become members of the club itself and help grow it

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, guys! I actually ordered the Roush kit, and it came in yesterday. When I tried to install it I realized that it would not work because the opening in the throttle body is oval, and the kit had a round piece. The guy at the store said it only came in round??!!?............ He said that Roush filed for bankruptcy last year or so and that is why he would not buy anything from Roush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firme
on the flip side, the Mac, BBK, and K&N I would not recommend, and I have honestly never seen anyone run or heard anything good about the Roush unit for an 01 Cobra
Well the round opening means that is was a cold air for the GT not the Cobra. Almost ALL Roushs are GT's.

Quote:
So...now I have a store credit and I will see if they carry any of your suggestions. They also suggested lowering springs, etc, but I want to get my horsepower-goodies before I do anything that is simply cosmetic.
Lowering springs are cool, but get whatever you want, not what they recommend. What store is it, we might be able to help find you more go fast goodies, even if it ain't a CAI. Btw, thats messed up that they gave you store credit instead of a full refund since they misled you into buying something without knowing if the product would even work on you vehicle. I mean not bothering to check if it a GT kit or a Cobra kit is a big indicator of incompetence on their part.
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Old 12-31-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
Abneriel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firme
Mineral Grey 01's OWN this thread
I feel so left out

street racing is
Abneriel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2004, 12:04 PM   #10
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abneriel
I feel so left out
I've got a can of Mineral Grey paint, lets get to work

alright, alright, we'll make you an honorary mineral grey owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk17th
I noticed you mentioned the tunable induction system, What do you think about the meter forward system or do you recommend the full length system? By the way I too have 01 mineral gray coupe like yours but with less mods
sweet car man

Their meter forward system is really nice (the System # 4: Part # 960246MF) which is the "densecharger" to the old school guys. The full lenth is ideal, but marginal since there is prolly only gonna be a 2-3hp difference. The 85mm Pro-m MAF is a big piece to that puzzle too, it will up your gains. A little birdy told me that a 90mm for the 01's might be on the horizon, but you can always get that later after buying the CAI now.

Another option you can get from em is the Metco type setup. Its not an in fender like the system above, but its a under hood with an exposed filter. The filter shield might come out in the future for the 01's also, as right now they offer the Metco CF one for the 03/04's http://www.demolet.com/img/sys10-11-206s.jpg

Old 12-31-2004, 11:54 PM   #11
Cobra4me
R&R4ever

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4me
now confused

well if you can only get 2/3 HP for the densecharger full length system then what are you going to get out of a meter forward system. What i am looking for is a CAI that will give me results, not cost an arm and a leg. and will not take me awhole day to install. HELP
RobK
Cobra4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 12:54 PM   #12
NewFoundPower

Send a message via AIM to NewFoundPower
Firme, what don't you like about the K&N FIPK? Lately I have heard really good things about it and it makes the same hp claims as the JLT with an easier install and maintenance.

-D-
#2470 of 3768

JLT CAI in Silver
MGW T-56 Shifter
Bassani Cat-back
MAC H-Pipe with Hi-flow Cats
SS Bumper Inserts
Kenny Brown Springs
Kenny Brown C/C Plates
Kenny Brown IRS Bushings
DS-G3s
NewFoundPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2005, 03:43 PM   #13
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewFoundPower
Firme, what don't you like about the K&N FIPK? Lately I have heard really good things about it and it makes the same hp claims as the JLT with an easier install and maintenance.

-D-
On an 03/04, yes the FIPK has shown good results and is a competitor, but we are talking about a N/A 2001 Cobra, and I have seen mixed reviews there, and the gains were not as much as the others. Couple that with the fact that K&N filters, although real popular in the aftermarket, have had test showing it is really not as good a filter as the S&B or the Green Filter (Don't take that the wrong way, its still a great filter overall but its not 1st choice, also, is it just me or did K&N change from lifetime 1 million mile warranty to a 10 yr 1 million mile warranty? kinda odd). JLT and WMS use S&B, Tunable Induction uses Green Filters. I mean I am speaking strictly of my opinion, what I have seen 1st hand, and experienced, be assured there is other opinions out there:

Old 01-01-2005, 03:56 PM   #14
Firme
track deprived

Quote:
Originally Posted by robk17th
well if you can only get 2/3 HP for the densecharger full length system then what are you going to get out of a meter forward system. What i am looking for is a CAI that will give me results, not cost an arm and a leg. and will not take me awhole day to install. HELP
RobK
See the thing that makes this all so difficult is there are too many variables. Your overall mods make such a big difference on how a single mod gives you gains. Its a "combo" that yields results instead of 1 single piece.

(sticking to N/A here) If you have a bone stock Cobra, and you stick a CAI on it, it can give you 5hp 3rwtq. You might be dissapointed. Then you go out and get exhaust that is supposed to give you 7hp 10rwtq, and you end up gaining 15hp, 13rwtq. Did the exhaust exceed expectations? no, not really, its the exhaust coupled with the CAI that yielded the results. The CAI was not showing its true gains till you freed up the exhaust. (hypothetically speaking of course)

Same goes with someone, with a ton of mods, putting on a CAI and getting 12hp out of it.

So answering your question is kinda difficult. You could see up to 9-12hp from the meter forward kit as opposed to 12-15 with the full, but that depends on your overall combo. The MAF also plays a role once you get mods on there. Especially on a 01, the meter is more of a restricution than the 03 due to the design change.

What I look at is people that get results with combo's and what they run. Tunable Inductions, WMS, and now JLT are some that always appear on a mod list of guys showing big power. I have also seen custom made CAI do the same, so, base your picks off design, coupled with what you think looks good on your engine if you care about that. Alot of these companies are similar with 1 or 2 things different. One might have a better under hood kit, and the other have a better in Fender...etc. At the most, you will be 2-3 h.p. off down the line. Just remember, the metal tubing can hold heat, unlike the Tunable Induction and the JLT.

FYI, there is JLT vs. Tunable Induction shootout comming soon from what I hear.

Old 01-01-2005, 04:21 PM   #15
smashedheadcat

Send a message via AIM to smashedheadcat
I'm not a fan of the densecharger system. My reason is this: The maf is designed to meter air coming from the filter..... not through the filter, in a tube, around the corner, and then into the engine. The only CAI kit I like is the JLT cai, and the old morpheus powerpipe (out of business). These kits are put the MAF in the fenderwell where the airfilter can attach directly to it. Thus elimiating crappy idling, and tuning difficulty. On my '03 cobra, I went with the MAC straigh shot cai. This has a heat shield, (not needed IMO, but whatever), a 4 inch MAF (again, not needed), and a big open filter. I'll add the JLT RAI to it to give it a nice big filter, 4 inch maf, and 4 inch piping going all the way to the throttle body. I've yet to pull the headlight, but the CAI kit gave me almost 3mph gain at the 1/8 mile track..... Consistantly.

Granted, this is an '03 cobra, but they work the same.

2003 Oxford White Cobra Coupe
Twin Turbo
Solid Axle
Automatic
Return Fuel System

1997 Triple Black Cobra Convertible
Forged and Blown. 511rwhp 398 rwtq
*Sold*
smashedheadcat is offline   Reply With Quote