SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Kenne Bell vs Vortech?
Kenne Bell Blowzilla w/ flowzilla inlet tube 11 52.38%
Vortech VS SQ Kit 10 47.62%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-15-2004, 06:14 PM   #1
venomous
Polk County Redneck

Send a message via AIM to venomous Send a message via Yahoo to venomous
Question Kenne Bell or Vortech?

I am torn between the two superchargers. I am able to get a great deal on a Polished Vortech VS SQ kit ($2638.99 to my door) but the kenne bell's I have heard do much better on the street? Which one of the two would be the best? Which of the two would make more HP or TQ? Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks Andrew.
~1995 "Rio Red" Cobra #3379 of 4005
2.2 Kenne Bell Blowzilla/ Flowzilla Supercharger (12# Boost), AFR 165 Aluminum Heads 61cc, TMoss Port Matched Cobra Lower, Trickflow 1.7 Roller Rockers, Crane 2031 Camshaft, 3/8" Intake Spacer, 60# Injectors, Accufab 75mm Throttle Body w/ Blank Spacer, DynoJet Wideband Commander, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster Coil, SCT Big Mouth Meter BAF 2400, JLT Custom Cold Air intake, Deleted EGR/ Smog, Mac Chrome Radiator Pipes, Mac Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Ford Racing 3:73 Gears, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Cobra R Wheels
Pro Dyno Tuned to 498 RWHP 497 RWTQ
venomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 06:57 AM   #2
Hazman

This is kinda an apples to oranges comparison. KB will give you better gains at low RPM and the Vortech will give you more up top. Vortech will give you the most HP gains overall. You can run an intercooler with the Vortech, but I don't think there is no intercooler option for the 5.0s. So for all around driving I wuld go with the KB since you get good power gains across the entire powerband. If you are going forged internals and want moster HP #s then the Vortech with and intercooler is the way to go.

Good Luck!!
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 08:29 AM   #3
cobrapace94

Send a message via AIM to cobrapace94
I do like the KB for the lower rpm torque. The Vortec will make the most peak power. One thing to consider on the Vortec is when cruising around, no boost will be present & gas mileage will not be effective, untill you get into boost. The KB looks good under the hood, imo. On street tires the KB will have traction problems, more so than the Vortec. With my little Powerdyne I can break traction through 3 gears with no problems. That price on the Vorted is good. If it were me, I'd get the Vortec. But you cannot go wrong with the KB.

1994 Cobra Indy Pace Car Convertible # 591 of 1000
2001 Cobra, #2001 of 3384 verts, Black on White, Born on 6/01/01
cobrapace94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:27 AM   #4
venomous
Polk County Redneck

I was wanting more of the lower rpm stuff and the car is for just cruisin around, but I am wanting to keep the car "looking stock". Not really wanting to give up my upper intake. So this is where I am stuck. I am having to do some heavy research to try and convince myself! Thanks for the replys!
2.2 Kenne Bell Blowzilla/ Flowzilla Supercharger (12# Boost), AFR 165 Aluminum Heads 61cc, TMoss Port Matched Cobra Lower, Trickflow 1.7 Roller Rockers, Crane 2031 Camshaft, 3/8" Intake Spacer, 60# Injectors, Accufab 75mm Throttle Body w/ Blank Spacer, DynoJet Wideband Commander, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster Coil, SCT Big Mouth Meter BAF 2400, JLT Custom Cold Air intake, Deleted EGR/ Smog, Mac Chrome Radiator Pipes, Mac Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Ford Racing 3:73 Gears, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Cobra R Wheels
Old 12-16-2004, 09:29 AM   #5
venomous
Polk County Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrapace94
One thing to consider on the Vortec is when cruising around, no boost will be present & gas mileage will not be effective, untill you get into boost.
Will gas mileage be affected and will boost always be present with the KB?
Old 12-16-2004, 05:28 PM   #6
redsnake99
SCMC Member

Two reasons I went with the Vortech:

1. has an aftercooler, really needed on road racing or in long runs through the Tennessee mountain roads. My setup added 200 RWHP to the stock 290.
125 from the blower and 75 more with the aftercooler. Helps protect the engine by running cooler. I have 120,000 miles on my 99 Cobra, about 95,000 of it with the blower.

2. It's my daily driver and I did not want bunches of boost at low rpm. I drove a 91 Mustang LX 5.0 for ten years and because of the low-end torque on rainy days, I often had traction problems. The Vortech lets me ignore that it's there in normal driving circumstances. I get up to 25 MPG on the highway, drops down to 4 MPG on the track.

However, at 3500 rpm or higher she takes off like a rocket ship.

Old 12-16-2004, 05:58 PM   #7
venomous
Polk County Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsnake99
Two reasons I went with the Vortech:

1. has an aftercooler, really needed on road racing or in long runs through the Tennessee mountain roads. My setup added 200 RWHP to the stock 290.
125 from the blower and 75 more with the aftercooler. Helps protect the engine by running cooler. I have 120,000 miles on my 99 Cobra, about 95,000 of it with the blower.

2. It's my daily driver and I did not want bunches of boost at low rpm. I drove a 91 Mustang LX 5.0 for ten years and because of the low-end torque on rainy days, I often had traction problems. The Vortech lets me ignore that it's there in normal driving circumstances. I get up to 25 MPG on the highway, drops down to 4 MPG on the track.

However, at 3500 rpm or higher she takes off like a rocket ship.

I don't believe Vortech has an aftercooler for the 94-95 5.0 motors. My car lives most of its life uner a cover, but when I am out to play, it will be on the streets. My car will never see a track. Wouldnt the KB be easier on my motor since it doesnt take as many RPM's to get boost as the Vortech? Just curious. Thanks.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:28 AM   #8
Butcher
Feel the Rush...

Send a message via ICQ to Butcher Send a message via AIM to Butcher Send a message via MSN to Butcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by venomous
I don't believe Vortech has an aftercooler for the 94-95 5.0 motors. My car lives most of its life uner a cover, but when I am out to play, it will be on the streets. My car will never see a track. Wouldnt the KB be easier on my motor since it doesnt take as many RPM's to get boost as the Vortech? Just curious. Thanks.
Not many comapanies do. unless your doing research or spending 10k to get involved with their research. These are generally NMRA cars, which lose the passenger seat for the ice coolers if thats where your heading. These Open Track guys may have a direction for their coolers. Different track.

Jimmie
Butcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:06 PM   #9
FearTheSnake

Venomous

I thought Vortech did have an aftercooler for the 5.0s? I have a 92 LX 5.0 with the Intercooled Procharger w/ 14lbs boost. I can say the air to air Intercooler has helped as I ran almost 70K Miles and never have a heating problem with alot of mods to the car(that's until warped the crank when the dampner broke) Now currently installing a stroker 347 motor in place.

Still avg. right at 20-22 miles on the Highway with 3.55 gears. I don't know a thing about the KB system though, just the Procharger. Reason I went w/ Procharger was the price when I purchased the supercharger back in 94. The entire kit cost less than 2500. and it was polished. To me had gobs of low end all the way up to 6400 rpm..

Just something to think about, may want to give the guys at Procharger a call and talk with them. I've never had a problem with their setup.

David S.
FearTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 PM   #10
crutch95
SCMC Member

Send a message via AIM to crutch95
you are right they do not make an after cooler for the 94 95 cars i have a 95 with a vortech and i love it. im thinking about going to a t trim blower just so i can build boost faster. I have one with 15 pounds of boost on it now with a built motor. i do have some photos of what it looked like when i had the factor intake on and the blower.if you send and email address i well send them to you. It was a good look. I get about 20 MPG on the highway just cruising and about 10 MPG in the city playing around. hope this helps.
Heads are Edelbrock performer
Vortech fuel rails
Mac long tube headers
Mac off road H-pipe
Speck stage 3
4:10 gear
Light bar
TKO 600 Trans
crutch95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
FearTheSnake

Crutch95

That's pretty impressive w/ 500 rwhp on your 95. What all have you done to the Block/Lower end? I noticed you have ported to 308 Block?

I doubt my '92 will be ready next month for the Dyno day in N.C. I would love to have it ready though because I want to see what type of power it will be making. One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need some help tuning this Car once I get the motor back in, so looking for some help from you guys in N.C. on the board here.

David S.
FearTheSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 PM   #12
InfamousSVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearTheSnake
One thing is for sure, I'm gonna need some help tuning this Car once I get the motor back in, so looking for some help from you guys in N.C. on the board here.
http://www.modularmadness.com/

Go to these guys for all your needs, they will treat you right and not blow smoke up your @ss!

1994 Chevy S-10 - DailyDriver
InfamousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 05:48 PM   #13
venomous
Polk County Redneck

Well I think I am finally ready to buy amy blower. I talked to Kenne Bell and they said that I should go with the standard version instead of the blowzilla. Where is the sheapest place to find a kenne bell blower BTW?