Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > General Forums > Show and Shine
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-27-2003, 12:22 AM   #1
BOOMER23

Send a message via AIM to BOOMER23
Wicked waterspots

I have got some really bad waterspots on my car that I can't seem to shake to save my life, I have heard that using well water when washing the car is a bad thing but I am kinda cornered into it. I used to have a white V6 mustang and never noticed any of these spots when I was washing it but I dont know if its cause my red cobra just shows it more or if the well water had something to do with it because I used to wash the V6 at a local do it yourself car wash but when we got a new well punched due to a lack of water, I had access to enough water to wash my car. This was around the time I got the cobra and I dont know if its the color of the car (and Im sure I pay more attention to the cobra than I ever did the V6) or if its the well water. Ill admit I do have a tendency to wash my car on pretty hot days which I have also heard is not really the best time to, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions or new practices that I could do to rid myself of this ugly problem and also my dad and I are considering getting the car buffed soon, mainly to get rid of this problem. Still I would like some feedback cause I dont want to get it buffed and looking good only to just haul off and be washing it wrong and have the spots apear again. Thanks for any possible help. I mean I know these things are fast and all but I gotta have it look good also when Im handing all of my friends in rice burners their asses.

Thanks
Ashton
BOOMER23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 10:57 AM   #2
tcrews

Claybar the car and you should get rid of all the waterspots....you'll have to wax/polish the car right after though as the claybar will pretty much remove everything off the paint.

Also do you let your car air-dry or do you dry it off after washing? This will eliminate waterspots from forming in the first place. Wipe it down with 100% cotton towels (to prevent any scratching) or use a California Water-Blade to knock 95% of the water off and then hit it with the 100% cotton towel.

I use a combination of a water blade, the Absorber and 100% cotton towels to dry my car every time I wash it.
1997 Cobra Coupe #3672, SCMC #82
571 rwHP
462 rwTQ

-------
1998 Cobra Convertible
264 rwHP
268 rwTQ

Tom's SVT Cobra Page
tcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:28 AM   #3
STANGBUM
"Love that Boost"

Send a message via AIM to STANGBUM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by tcrews

Also do you let your car air-dry or do you dry it off after washing? This will eliminate waterspots from forming in the first place. Wipe it down with 100% cotton towels (to prevent any scratching) or use a California Water-Blade to knock 95% of the water off and then hit it with the 100% cotton towel.

I use a combination of a water blade, the Absorber and 100% cotton towels to dry my car every time I wash it.
[/QUOTEI

I also use Absorber and 100% cotton towel combo. and never let my car air dry, also to lose the water spots on your windows try Zaino Z-12 Clear-View glass polish. I had tried alot of stuff and this took them of with a little bit of elbow grease. great stuff.

http://brmcoa.org/

1997 Cobra #3843
Born 3/18/97
2-chamber Flowmasters cat-back
Vortech S/C V2
MSD DIS4
Autometer Phantom Fuel Pressure & Boost Gauge
FMS 4:10 ring & pinion
Kenny Brown Subs
MM Caster/Camber Plates
Eibach Pro Kit
Pro 5.0 shifter
401 RWHP & 396 TORQUE
STANGBUM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 03:17 PM   #4
BOOMER23

I do make sure that I dry my car off with a good clean towel but for some reason or another I still have the problem. I think more water has a chance to dry than it should since like I said I tend to wash it on pretty hot days. Tell me a little bit more about the claybar, I've heard a little about it but Im not really very educated on those things, are they like they sound, a bar that you basically rub on the car kinda like you wax a surfboard. Also where would you get these things. It sounds to me, in regards to the zaino on the windows, like I should buy stock in this company, I have yet to try any of their stuff but it sounds like everyone on this board is pretty much sold on thier products. Thanks again guys.

Ashton
Old 08-27-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
tcrews

It's almost exactly like it sounds........you can get them at Pep Boys and probably any other Auto-store (Autozone, Advance). I know you can get them at Pep-boys. It's a bar of clay and usually a spray that you use to keep the area you are working on lubricated so that they claybar glides over the paint and doesn't stick to it. You work in small areas at a time using circular motions with the claybar and it picks up all the crap out of your paint (things that sometimes even look like they are under the clearcoat). To do the entire car takes quite a long time and would be best to do in a cool area and not direct sunlight. You'll have to polish/wax afterwards (wash the car right after claying) as the claybar will remove everything.

Zaino sells a claybar as well....

http://www.zainobros.com/ is their website....excellent stuff.

You'll want some Z1 (pre-lok), Z2 (polish-clearcoat), Z6 (detail spray), Z7 (car wash...love this stuff) and anything else you would like to add (tire dressing, window cleaner, leather cleaner/treatment, etc....).
571 rwHP
462 rwTQ

-------
1998 Cobra Convertible
264 rwHP
268 rwTQ

Tom's SVT Cobra Page
Old 09-04-2003, 07:31 AM   #6
Steve Treece

To the extent practical, you should avoid washing or applying polish/wax on a hot surface. Move the car to a shaded area and let the surface cool before doing either one of those.

When you wash the car, do you wash the body and then the wheels and tires? Doing it this way will increase the liklihood of water spotting because water will have the opportunity to dry on the car while you're down on the wheels. Reduce the chance for spotting by starting with wheels/tires first. Don't wet down the whole car, just the wheels. Wash the body after you've completed the wheels. This will reduce the amount of time water is laying on the surface. You can also reduce the amount of water to get off the car by taking the nozzle off the hose and letting the water run over the surface...this will produce a sheeting action that leaves less water on the surface for you to remove.

Water spots are often caused by the minerals left after water has evaporated. There are cases where white vinegar will remove the spots since it will dissolve the minerals. You can use it straight or dilute about 50%...the vinegar will not harm your finish. It may be necessary to rub the spots a little to remove them, but the white vinegar is worth a try.

Tcrews also suggested clay bar. Clay is an awesome cleaning tool that will get the surface absolutely clean and slick. Anything left on the surface after claying is etched into the paint and will require the use of an abrasive product for removal. The keys to using clay are keeping the surface well lubricated, use light to medium pressure, and straight line motions. It isn't hard to do, it just takes a little time. Read more about clay bar in the "Tips and Tricks" section at www.zainostore.com.

Charlotte, NC
Email:cashine@juno.com
Steve Treece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2003, 08:52 PM   #7
BlackCoupe

Something else to consider is the amount of washing solution you are using. I have noticed if I use too much, I get soap spots. And I agree with the previous posts: Never wash your car hot or in the direct sun or you will for sure get spots regardless.
BlackCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:01 PM   #8
94venom

the best thing i have found is the zaino water spot remover....i tested it on one small corner of my rear window, and that is the only part of the glass on my '94 that is without spots. 02ws6 and i used it on my snake...the stuff is wonderful....
#1820 out of 5009
March Ram Air/Underdrive Pulleys; K&N Filter; BBK Shorty Headers; BBK Off Road X-Pipe; Dynomax Mufflers; SVO Side Exhaust; Ford Racing 3.73 Gears; Auburn 8.8" Differential; Hurst Short Throw Shifter; GT-40 Aluminum Driveshaft; King Cobra Clutch; Steeda Lowering Springs; Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms; Ford Motorsport Strut Tower Brace
94venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2003, 02:11 PM   #9
02WS6

Quote:
Originally posted by 94venom
the best thing i have found is the zaino water spot remover....i tested it on one small corner of my rear window, and that is the only part of the glass on my '94 that is without spots. 02ws6 and i used it on my snake...the stuff is wonderful....
Yeah the Z-12 works great on glass but don't use it on the paint or the tinted side of the window (if they are tinted..... It will cause horrific swirl marks.

To get the water spots off the paint use a claybar then a good wax to protect the paint. Zanio has all this stuff. Make sure to dry the car with a white cotton towel or an absorber. Don't I repeat don't use a water blade! Esp if you have a dark color paint. Never let a car air dry.... it just a bad idea.
Old 09-07-2003, 01:35 AM   #10
BOOMER23

Why not a water blade

Im curious about the water blade why do you feel that it is a bad idea? Im just trying to make sure I get this all done right
Old 09-07-2003, 10:59 PM   #11
94venom

I can't speak for 02ws6, but the experiences I have had with one haven't been that good or bad either way. I have found that with a water blade, if there is any type of particulate matter on the paint that for some reason didn't get washed off, it can get trapped on the blade and scratch. That isn't to say that it will happen, but I have had it happen to me.
#1820 out of 5009
March Ram Air/Underdrive Pulleys; K&N Filter; BBK Shorty Headers; BBK Off Road X-Pipe; Dynomax Mufflers; SVO Side Exhaust; Ford Racing 3.73 Gears; Auburn 8.8" Differential; Hurst Short Throw Shifter; GT-40 Aluminum Driveshaft; King Cobra Clutch; Steeda Lowering Springs; Steeda Upper and Lower Control Arms; Ford Motorsport Strut Tower Brace
94venom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 09:22 AM   #12
02WS6

Re: Why not a water blade

Quote:
Originally posted by BOOMER23
Im curious about the water blade why do you feel that it is a bad idea? Im just trying to make sure I get this all done right
a water blade is just like a windshield wiper.... It can pick up tiny particles in the edge of the blade and you probly won't even notice them until its too late. The particles WILL scratch your paint... (esp a clearcoat)

Of course this can happen with a towel or an absorber so you really have to take special care of anything that will touch your paint. but to enhance my point... have you ever riden in a car that hasn't had the wipers changed in a while.... Ever notice the scratches on the glass where the wipers go back and forth over the same area..... the water blade can make the same marks in your paint. It is made of a harder material than an absorber or a towel so common sense will tell you that it is more likely to scratch the surface of the paint.

Once again.... this is only my $.02 not the gospel from the show car gods. But if you use it becareful!
Old 09-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #13
BOOMER23

Ahhh I gotcha. Thanks for the heads up guys.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:26 PM   #14
tcrews

A waterblade is pretty far from a windshield wiper blade....

I've used them on black cars, red cars, white cars, blue cars......no scratching/markings period. I usually only dry my car after I wash it so typically there isn't anything on the car that would scratch it

I swore against them until I had too many people with incredible paint on their cars tell me how great they are. They work very well and reduce the amount of effort in drying the car.
571 rwHP
462 rwTQ

-------
1998 Cobra Convertible
264 rwHP
268 rwTQ

Tom's SVT Cobra Page
Old 09-08-2003, 11:01 PM   #15
BOOMER23

Figured Id give an update

I have done a whole lot of research on this whole thing and I have had so many different opinions it has just about made me go crazy. I'll admit that I have gotten a little bit impatient with these waterspots, they absolutely have made my car look like a very uncared for car with an early 90's paintjob instead of a nice fairly glossy finish that should be on a cared for 99. I figured that it couldnt hurt to experiment a little and try some stuff, both techniques and products alike. I did try the white vinegar idea and that did a fairly good job, but I was soon ready to move on to the next try. I gave the car a really thorough wash and the day before had finally bought a california water blade, chammois cloth and a bottle of Zymol cleaner wax. I was determined to get some zaino like everyone says but I read a really good report that said that Zymol did quite a good job as well so I figured what do I have to lose. My father helped an awful lot and we undertook the task of giving the car a really good wax to see if it would take some of them out. It took some really really hard elbow grease but it did wonders for my car. Its not 100% perfect yet but it looks about 40 times better. I think it'll hold me over until I can order some of those God-sent Zaino products I hear about. I really do need the window cleaner cause my windows of course didnt get waxed so they look like you are looking out of a screen door, but so far its well on its way. I really wanted to enter the show at Autofair but I think I may just attend as a spectator. Mainly cause I havent done that engine cleaning that I have been avoiding for a while and I dont want to embarrass myself after seeing some of the entries at the Parkway show a little while back. Im still very new to the car show scene and havent gotten my feet wet yet.