SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Regional Forums > South Central
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
Mephisto

F1 US GP in Austin Texas, are you kidding me?

Formula One returns to the United States Formula One World Championship Limited and Formula One Administration Limited (together, the F1 Commercial Rights Holder) and Full Throttle Productions, LP, promoter of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™, announce that a historic agreement has been reached for Austin, Texas to serve as the host city of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ for years 2012 through 2021.

“We are extremely honoured and proud to reach an agreement with the F1 Commercial Rights Holder. We have been diligently working together for several years to bring this great event to Austin, the State of Texas and back to the United States. All parties involved have a great amount of trust and confidence in each other and are committed to establishing the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in Austin, Texas as a prestigious global event,” stated Tavo Hellmund, Managing Partner of Full Throttle Productions, LP.

Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group stated: “For the first time in the history of Formula One in the United States, a world-class facility will be purpose-built to host the event. It was thirty years ago that the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ was last held on a purpose-built permanent road course circuit in Watkins Glen, NY (1961-1980), which enjoyed great success. Since then, Formula One has been hosted by Long Beach, Las Vegas, Detroit, Dallas and Phoenix all on temporary street circuits. Indianapolis joined the ranks of host cities in 2000 when they added a road course inside the famed oval. Lewis Hamilton won the last Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ in 2007, signalling the end to eight years at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. This however, will be the first time a facility is constructed from the ground up specifically for Formula One in the US.”

Mr. Hellmund added: “This is a case of the right timing in the right place. As many Americans know, Austin has earned a reputation as one of the ‘it’ cities in the United States. Austin features that rare combination of ideal geographic location and beauty. Its fine dining, world-renowned hospitality and excellent transportation infrastructure make Austin ideally suited to host and manage an event of this magnitude. Few cities if any in America could rival the connectivity of all the key elements needed for hosting a Formula 1 event as well as Austin. Now, many people around the world will have the opportunity to experience a world-class event, facility and city.”

“We are pleased Texas has the opportunity to be involved with Formula 1 and that an event of this magnitude is coming to Austin,” said Susan Combs, Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts. “It has been a pleasure working with Full Throttle Productions, LP and Mr. Hellmund on this project. Their tradition of producing successful major events coupled with a thirty year relationship with Mr. Ecclestone has us looking forward to this worldwide event and the benefits it will bring, including local job creation, increased tourism and a significant economic impact added to our state economy. The visibility and prestige of this event will spotlight our state on an international stage.”

Texas Governor Rick Perry conveyed his enthusiasm for the project, explaining “Texas’ relatively strong economy continues to draw both national and international attention and I commend Comptroller Combs for her work in bringing this exciting event to the Lone Star State.”

City of Austin Mayor Lee Leffingwell continued the positive sentiments, adding "The City of Austin will be proud to host this magnificent event and I look forward to welcoming the participants and fans of Formula One to our City."

Full Throttle Productions, LP acknowledges with great appreciation the efforts of all parties involved including Bernie Ecclestone, President and CEO of the Formula One Group, and the local and state officials of Texas.

“It has been a shared vision and monumental task to reach this agreement. We realize that over the last 30 years there have been one or two missing pieces from the previous editions of the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™. We have a tremendous opportunity at hand to do it right - to feature Austin as the backdrop and produce the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ as one of the great sporting events in the world,” stated Hellmund.

In addition to the State of Texas being the 11th strongest economy in the world, it has more Fortune 500 company headquarters than any other state. Key features of Austin include:
- State capital nicknamed ‘Silicon Hills’ for being one of the most important regions in the US for the Technology Industry;
- USA’s 15th largest city and is located 145 miles from Houston (4th largest US city), 70 miles from San Antonio (7th largest US city), and 180 miles from Dallas (8th largest US city), population in this triangle is over 22 million;
- perfectly located geographically for North, South and Central American visitors;
- over 130 daily departing international flights within 180 miles;
- over 250,000 hotel rooms within 180 miles;
- desirable year-round climate, with an average annual temperature of 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 Celsius);
- geographically located in the Texas Hill Country, easily the most beautiful city in the State, and considered one of the most in the US;
- hotels/downtown/Formula 1 circuit/airport located within close proximity of each other, which is nearly impossible for any other large city in the US;
- world class night life entertainment along renowned ‘Sixth Street’; and
- large film industry presence - many movies filmed in the area.

Austin’s National Recognition
- Known as “The Live Music Capital of the World”
- Voted “Greenest City in America” (MSN)
- Voted “Least Stressful Large Metro” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Two “Best Cities” in the United States (Money Magazine)
- Voted Top Three “Hippest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Five “Safest Cities” in the United States (Forbes)
- Voted Top Ten “Sports & Fitness Cities” in the USA (Sports Business Journal)

Full Throttle Productions, LP is an Austin, Texas, special event and sports production company that provides event conception, event project management, day of event oversight, staffing and volunteer services, venue planning and logistics support.

More information on the Formula 1 United States Grand Prix™ will be forthcoming shortly. In the meantime, all queries should be directed to info@fullthrottleproductionslp.com.

FOUNDING MEMBER OF THE TEXAS HELL SNAKES WHO EAT CHILDREN AND DO OTHER THINGS TOO
Mephisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 05:56 PM   #2
Bartman01
Eat my shorts

My first thought was that this was some kind of prank/hoax - but it is on the official F1 web site as news. Hope they don't have it in the summer, the 'average' temp stat was a bit optimistic.
#3230 of 3867
Bartman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 12:34 AM   #3
jimmysidecarr
The new LIVER MOD ROCKS!!

I saw this and though skeptical, I am still optimistically hoping they pull this off.
Not only would it be cool as hell to be close to an F1 race again(Syracuse to Watkins Glen circa: 1970s) but think of the other road race(and open track) potential for a brand new track of that caliber.

MYSTICHROME #539<-The AWESOMENESS is fade resistant.
Jr. Technical Support Engineer with *Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants<-and LOVING it!
*The Performance Oil that Outperforms®*
If you love ADRENALIN LIKE I DO and haven't tried this yet,
YOU NEED TO TRY THIS!!!---->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0
Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jim...-Mustang/mods/
jimmysidecarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM   #4
Andy M
SCMC Member

Guys,

I just happen to be in Austin now on business and this was the top news event on the evening broadcast here locally last night. There is a ton of excitement here over this. What I learned is this is in motion but there are a few moving parts which must be handled before it becomes a reality. The wheels are in motion to make it happen though.

They expect a $300M or more economic boost to the region per year. They are expecting 150,000 people coming to the event and said it would fill every hotel room in and around Austin all the way to Temple and possibly spilling into the Houston area.

Count me in for tickets to the first event!!

Also, not sure where it will be but they are planning a brand new road course specifically built just for the FIA and F1. Of course, you know what that means for us track warriors? - A world class facility right in our back yard!!!

SCMC #521

'03 Cobra Coupe - #3067 of 8394 Coupes (1 of 992 in silver metallic)
'02 F250 SD Powerstroke 4X4 Crew Cab - my daily driver and Cobra hauler
'13 BMW 28i X3 - Angela's daily driver
'06 Jeep Liberty LE - daughter #1's car
'11 Mazda 3 Touring - daughter #2's car
'00 Cobra R - #155 of 300 - SOLD!
Andy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:16 AM   #5
Admiral
Got Track?

Smells like smoke and mirrors to me, another Liberty Motorsports Park? No way they can build it and be ready to race by 2012.
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (race car)
1990 Spec Miata (race car)
1966 289 Cobra (V8 go-kart)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 09:04 PM   #6
Bartman01
Eat my shorts

This news was the highlights of all Speed's F1 coverage this weekend. They interviewed the head of the company that is building the facility and Bernie E. (head of F1). From what they said, this deal has been mostly done for some time and they are not starting from ground zero. They didn't make the deal public until it was pretty much a certainty and everything was in order for a 2012 opening. The city government has green lit the project and committed to fast track any remaining permits that may be necessary. While not a 100% certainty, this is a 99% certainty at this point.

Hermann Tilke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hermann_Tilke) will be designing the final track layout.
#3230 of 3867
Bartman01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM   #7
Andy M
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
Smells like smoke and mirrors to me, another Liberty Motorsports Park? No way they can build it and be ready to race by 2012.
Mike,

If this were just another road course, I would agree with you. However, this is F1 man and they have very deep pockets with huge sponsors. I really think this will happen. Not sure where exactly the course will be located, but with enough money, you can get this done in two years.

I sure hope it happens. It was big news this past weekend as I watched the Turkish GP race.

SCMC #521

Old 06-02-2010, 06:21 AM   #8
Admiral
Got Track?

Andy,

Much like tracks in the past I have no real incentive to wish against them, I'd love to race at a brand new FIA rated track. I hope to be in the grandstands buying you a beer when the red lights go out in 2012, time will tell.
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (race car)
1990 Spec Miata (race car)
1966 289 Cobra (V8 go-kart)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:44 AM   #9
Andy M
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral
Andy,

Much like tracks in the past I have no real incentive to wish against them, I'd love to race at a brand new FIA rated track. I hope to be in the grandstands buying you a beer when the red lights go out in 2012, time will tell.
Mike, you're on buddy!! I sure hope this happens man! TX provides a great venue for this type of sport. It sure would be nice to have a world class road course right in our back yard! Say a prayer with me brother!

SCMC #521

Old 07-28-2010, 07:04 AM   #10
Larry95
SCMC Member

track site http://www.statesman.com/business/fu...ed-825045.html

'95 Red Coupe #684/4005 (going back to stock)
'95 White Coupe (track car)(378 rwhp, 394 rwtq)
'03 Red Annv Convt #711/2003 (SOLD)
'12 Boss 302 LS
'13 King Ranch EcoBoost F-150 (Eloisa's ride)
'13 King Ranch 6.7L F-250 (daily driver & tow vehicle)
Larry95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:39 AM   #11
Andy M
SCMC Member

Rock and Roll!! Can't wait to see it, smell it, and most importantly, run open track on it!

SCMC #521

Old 09-01-2010, 11:09 AM   #12
gfcobra
SCMC Member

The track layout is out. Just go to the website, click the news tab & click Austin circuit layout revealed.
Gary.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #13
jimmysidecarr
The new LIVER MOD ROCKS!!

WOW It is materializing!
MYSTICHROME #539<-The AWESOMENESS is fade resistant.
Jr. Technical Support Engineer with *Royal Purple Synthetic Lubricants<-and LOVING it!
*The Performance Oil that Outperforms®*
If you love ADRENALIN LIKE I DO and haven't tried this yet,
YOU NEED TO TRY THIS!!!---->
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03ALG6pN_R0
Mods page http://www.gotstang.com/webpages/Jim...-Mustang/mods/
jimmysidecarr is offline   Reply With Quote