SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > Suspension Tech
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-31-2004, 06:52 PM   #1
Hazman

Question 18x9.5 rims on '97 Cobra

Has anyone put the 2000 Cobra R 18x9.5 rims on a '97 Cobra?? I am wondering if these will clear? Would make a great track setup if it does. What do you folks say??

Rick
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2004, 08:06 PM   #2
Hazman

Anyone??
Old 09-07-2004, 05:25 PM   #3
Tnmustcobra

Why do you want to run the 18 x 9.5 rims??? Tires for 18" rims are more expensive and the sidewall height would be less and would make for a rough ride. I have a 1997 Mustang Cobra and have ran 17 x 11 rims on the rear with 315/35 x 17 Kumho's and 17 x 10 rims on the front with 275/40 x 17 Kumho's and I had to take the quad shock off for clearance. Traction and wheel hop is not a big problem with the wide sticky tires in the rear, but when I put on a smaller set for the street, I get a whole lot of wheel hop. I believe if you run 275/40 x 17 tires on all 4 corners with 17 x 9.5 rims you will handle just fine and you can rotate your tires front to back. That is what the American Iron cars with the NASA group run on their cars and they handle pretty good. I have also ran 17 x 9 Cobra R on all 4 corners with 255/40 x 17 Kumho's and the car handled just fine. I could run with most other cars with the larger tires and I could rotate the tires front to back for greater wear. Are you going to run HPDE with the NASA group or have you already put some track time on the car? Do you plan on racing the car at some point? Give me some more information on what you plan to do with the car.

David
1997 Mustang Cobra
1988 AIX Kenny Brown Equipped Mustang
Old 09-07-2004, 06:08 PM   #4
Hazman

The only reason I was considering these was someone had a set I could get for a good price. I currently run 2 sets of '98 Cobra rims (17x8) with 255/40x17 Kumhos for street/wet and 255/40X17 Toyo RA-1s for the track/AX. I have run to track events (Gingerman & CMP) and two AX events at 411 Speedway with the club. I am headed back to Gingerman in 2 weeks and next month to TWS. I hope to run a NASA HPDE next year because I have heard great things about them from the AI/AIX folks. From what I hear you have quite a bit of seat time and experience in the Cobra (Jeff Miller is my source). I would like to get with you sometime and talk car setup, etc.