SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > General Forums > Show and Shine
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 03:21 AM   #1
Spiney

Question Black SVT Cobra clean shine and wax advice needed

Purchased a 96 SVT Cobra about a week ago. It is Black with Black leather interior. Previous owner pampered it, kept it in a heated garage, put an average of 1.5-2K miles on a year. It has 39K miles and the pain looks about showroom new. Not one dent. He never dove it in rain. I hope to treat it the same, but right now I have a 63 Pontiac Catalina in non -running condition in the garage that must go first. We live with my Mother-in-law and the car was her husband's who passed away a few years ago and it now belongs to my brother-in-law. So until he gets it out of there I'm using a covercraft NOAH model for protection. Cobra will be garaged before winter if I have to rent a garage.

Question is with today's products what is the best way to go to clean, polish, and wax an all black vehicle? He used all Meguiars products. But looking around I see some products that say they are especially formulated for Black and the Wax has Black pigment so it leaves no white residue. I'd love to hear from other owners of all Black cars. It is due for a start from fresh cleaning and wax from me. I own a Sears random orbit buffer but I'm told by previous owner to get a better buffer and learn on another vehicle before I tackle the Cobra. Thanks, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:59 PM   #2
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
I would clay the car first. If you have access to a Porter Cable polisher, then that would be a big help. If not, there are still products out there that will help the paint.

products I would look into:
Poorboy's World SSR line for paint correction/swirl scratch remover.(there are three levels, 3, 2.5, and 1)
Poorboy's World Professional Polish
Poorboy's World Blackhole (designed for dark colors)
Poorboy's World Natty Blue paste wax
Poorboy's World Natty Red paste wax

all can be applied by hand, but a machine will speed up the process.

process:
1. wash, then clay, then wash again
2. Professional Polish
3. Blackhole
4. Either the blue or red paste wax

if you have swirls or scratches, use the SSR stuff prior to the Pro Polish
Old 07-31-2011, 02:25 AM   #3
Spiney

Thanks, I just saw those products advertised on Two Guys Garage on the Speed Channel. Is the Porter polisher the best way to go? Right now I have a middle of the road Craftsman Random Orbit Polisher the kind with handles shaped like a steering wheel and about a 9-10" pad, Doesn't spin very fast if I recall correctly. Previous owner suggested I get a polisher but practice on another one of my vehicles so I don't harm the paint on my Stang. I have several cars/trucks to practice on including my wife's Volvo Wagon which is a dark green and in need of a good cleaning. When we bought it we took it right to a detailer and we were unimpressed with the results.

Any suggestions for under the hood detailing? Today I just cleaned it up using a 50/50 mix of Simple Green sprayed on, brushed with a soft paint brush and hosed off. That was a good start but I don't know what to use on the plug wires, and rubber and vinyl pieces. Thanks, Spiney-Dave

BTW we were at a show today and asked this question to the owner of every nice looking black car. We got a different answer from everyone including from the owner of a Viper that he never washes and waxes it, he just uses Spray detailer and keeps it garaged most of it's life. A lot of people mentioned Meguiars but most said they just used the wax and said nothing of cleaning. The previous owner used Meguiar's but he would wash and wax it, including precleaning, polish, and wax every time he took it out or at least once a month. I know Meguiar's is popular as is Mother's but popular is not always the best. I whole-heartily agree with starting with a Clay Bar to clean out the impurities. I never even heard of a clay bar before I bought this car and it's my 6th Mustang and about 10th car worthy of serious attention. When I was a student and had lots of time on my hands my Father used to tell me that I was going to wax the paint right off the car because I did wash weekly and waxed at least monthly. Thanks again, Spiney-Dave
Spiney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
what you have for a polisher will work fine for now, but I would suggest a Porter Cable in the future. The only thing you really can't do with what you have, is correct swirls/scratches very well. You will, but not completely. Stick with what you have for now, and save $ for the Porter Cable.

As for under hood detail. What I do is a 50/50 mix of Simple Green, if I have some tough grease, I use paint brushes to get down in the tight areas. Rinse off with water. Then take a touchless tire shine, spray all over the engine, close hood and wait 15 minutes. Come back and wipe off any excess residue. It works really nice, and will speed up the cleaning process in the future.

You will get different techniques from everyone. My suggestions may not be the best, but they work for me.
Old 08-01-2011, 11:09 PM   #5
rpalmer

Underhood: CD2 Engine Detailer FTW
-RP

Tags
best for black, polish, wax