SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2006, 04:28 AM   #1
scootro

Anyone ever have EGR or TPS problems..

What a pain trying find out if this is my problem on my 94’ lightning.. How do you diagnose these as the culprit of my problem???? What are the symptoms??????

My truck just off idle, in gear. It just stumbles, does a slight surge and dies. This happens at startup or sometimes driving home from work at low RPM‘s. Sometimes the lightning starts right up after it dies other times I have to wait a few minutes before attempting to start it again.

Any ideas??? Should I just take it into the ford dealership and have them look at it$$$$$ I’ve never experienced this problem before so lesson learn, I guess….

My ideas of the problem is

EGR

TPS SENSOR

ignition module

Old 06-21-2006, 04:43 AM   #2
03slidewayzSVT

Send a message via AIM to 03slidewayzSVT
sounds like a air idle control valve bad.....unplug it and see if it makes a difference....If not more than likely thats a problem.....EGR will more than likely throw a engine code....TPS will likely make it stumble driving...

03slidewayzSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 08:04 PM   #3
scootro

Well I got my truck started and pulled out of the garage as soon as I reached the driveway it died and now it won’t even start at all now(it turns over fine when attempting to start but that’s it). When it did die the engine light and battery light came on afterwards.

1. Starter works fine

2. You can hear the fuel pump prime itself

3. Battery is good

I guess I’ll have to tow her to the ford service department tomorrow morning. I’m tired of screwing with it. I guess I can’t be mad cause the truck has only gave me 3 or 4 problems the entire six years I’ve owned her..

Old 06-22-2006, 06:35 AM   #4
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
IF it has issues staying in run mode after start up it may be a faulty PCV valve. If it is sticking open and not operating properly, the IAC may not be able to properly choke off the air flow. The same goes for the breather line that is plumbed from the intake. The rubber grommets may become dry and need replacement. The EGR can be faulty and not throw a check engine light if the flow is not sufficient to be monitored by the EGR pressure sensor. I had an EGR issue with a 2001 Cobra which was a bit hard to diagnose so I just decided to replace it since it was one of the components that remained untouched. The problem I had was it would idle high then drop and cut out. After replacing the EGR I heard a sound that I never heard before 5 seconds or less after starting the car which sounded like the AC clutch pulling in. Turns out it was the EGR working. During idle you should be able to hear it cycle on and off (not sure of the interval, close to about 1 to 3 minutes per cycle). IT may also be the IAC valve but to rule it out to some degree you can unplug it while the engine is running (assuming it will start) and the RPM should climb to about 2500 revs (may depend on the motor and orifice size of the IAC).
If it just stalled, some indicator lights will stay on. If the battery voltage appears fine, it may be the alternator not boosting the voltage which should reach about 14vdc at idle. The battery voltage may drop to about 10v when you are starting the motor (and probably much lower than that if you have an automatic since you are moving more mass than just a flywheel). If the engine light remains on once the motor is running would indicate a fault code has been detected.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #5
TL04SVT

I had the same starting problem with my 93 vert and my 95 cobra. Its either the Ignition control module or the stator in the dist... Both times i just bought a new distributor and it solved the problems. I also fought the rolling idle on my 93 for almost a year... lmk when you get the starting problem fixed and we will go from there.
TL04SVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:52 AM   #6
scootro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausie
If the battery voltage appears fine, it may be the alternator not boosting the voltage which should reach about 14vdc at idle. The battery voltage may drop to about 10v when you are starting the motor (and probably much lower than that if you have an automatic since you are moving more mass than just a flywheel).
that sounds like my peoblem..

thanks
Old 06-24-2006, 12:40 AM   #7
scootro

It took me $700 bucks from the ford service department to fix, but my truck is fixed and running great now,

Here is the list and details of stuff that was fixed on the receipt

A. surges and dies at times, now wont start just cranks…..

Stator assembly $65.09

Ignition module $140.13

Distributor gear $47.80

B. complete fuel system cleaning

Fuel induction kit $32.40

Fuel injection flush $21.46

A. Verified concern performed pinpoint testing IGN system loses. PIP and CKP when hot performed pinpoint testing replaced module and stator retested verified repair

B. performed fuel and air inlet system cleaning to reduce carbon buildup found during diagnostic testing.