Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > General Forums > Kill Stories
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2005, 10:49 PM   #1
venomnous99
SCMC Member

Thought the GTO had more, who knew!

To set up, I live in Tennessee and was heading to a project in Michigan. It was about 2:00 P.M. I was on IH75 North, about halfway through Cincinnatti when I encountered the blue 2004 GTO. I noticed him coming up at a pretty high rate of speed. And wouldn't you know it, he had to slow down to match my speed and cruise next to me, broadcasting the dare. We played a little cat and mouse going through town, but nothing serious (way to much traffic). Just a little jousting. However, about halfway to Dayton (those who have traveled this route know this was a long dare session ~20 min) the traffic cleared. We had about 1/2 to 3/4 mile completely clear. The jockeying for position started, then suddenly he pointed his finger in front of him pointing to go. I could hear him revving the engine. We both knodded and dumped it. We ran from about 60 mph to 110 to 115 mph. We then both let off hard, I guess neither one of us wanted to endanger anyone else, and we were coming up on traffic at a pretty good clip. And at the end, his nose was about a foot from my rear bumper. My car has no serious add-ons for power, YET!!! Dynoed at Parkway at 271 tq and 274 hp rear wheel. I guess I expected alot more from the GTO (350 vs 320 hp), I figured I would see just how fast he was, and how close I could hang to him, but I never really expected to walk him. Either he couldn't drive, or the car is not all it was made to be. According to the numbers I have seen, he should have won, not by much, but still win. Although at 60 my car was at 4,000 rpm in third (right in the torque band highend), so maybe I just had alot more than him at that speed. Anyway, enough of the boredom. He pulled up next to me, knodded and gave a thumbs up, and pulled in behind me as if to bow his head in defeat. He followed me the rest of the way into Dayton and got off the highway. For at least that day, my head was high and I was "King for the Day!!!"

"BOOST"...And they say crack is addictive!!!
venomnous99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 PM   #2
venomous
Polk County Redneck

Send a message via AIM to venomous Send a message via Yahoo to venomous
Nice Kill!
~1995 "Rio Red" Cobra #3379 of 4005
2.2 Kenne Bell Blowzilla/ Flowzilla Supercharger (12# Boost), AFR 165 Aluminum Heads 61cc, TMoss Port Matched Cobra Lower, Trickflow 1.7 Roller Rockers, Crane 2031 Camshaft, 3/8" Intake Spacer, 60# Injectors, Accufab 75mm Throttle Body w/ Blank Spacer, DynoJet Wideband Commander, MSD Pro Billet Distributor, MSD Blaster Coil, SCT Big Mouth Meter BAF 2400, JLT Custom Cold Air intake, Deleted EGR/ Smog, Mac Chrome Radiator Pipes, Mac Ceramic Coated Shorty Headers, Mac O/R H-Pipe, Flowmaster Cat-Back, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Ford Racing 3:73 Gears, H&R Sport Springs, Chrome Cobra R Wheels
Pro Dyno Tuned to 498 RWHP 497 RWTQ
venomous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:59 AM   #3
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
what is with these new "GTO" owners? I was going to Winston Salem one day, and I passed this red one, not intending anything other than getting by him. I look in my mirror, and he is all over the highway trying to get around cars. I knew what he was doing. My exit was coming up so I got in the right hand lane, he pulled next to me, and then sped off like he had won the Daytona 500. All this as I was pulling on the exit ramp. Like his car is worthy of anything. It is the typical GM shoe
Old 01-10-2005, 06:40 PM   #4
crunchit

Great kill v~99!

Steeda T56 shifter
Steeda Springs
477.9 RWHP (std)
511.4 RWTQ (std)
Modena ROH 3 piece Wheels 19x10.5 (r), 19x9(f)
Old 01-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #5
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
Great kill, Cool! I figured you would have won anyway.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2005, 10:40 PM   #6
venomnous99
SCMC Member

So Aussie, why do you believe I would win anyway. Of course I could have my numbers confused, which has happened before. But from what I have read, the GTO has more Hp, Torque and is quicker in the 1/4 mile. Am I wrong? If I am, please let me know. But to be honest, he really didn't stand a chance, at least not from the outcome of our small spurt. I had a car length on him, and was still pulling him when I braked. Please if you have any info, please share. Maybe I am thinking it was a bigger kill than it really was!

"BOOST"...And they say crack is addictive!!!
venomnous99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 08:00 PM   #7
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
It was an even match if you consider hp to weight ratio's. There was a good article on the MAch 1 vrs GTO in MM&FF (June 2004). The mustang had the faster ET's but the GTO may have been faster in the long haul. As it may sound the GTO probably needs a little help at the low end too. It is good that the little ol 4.6 took charge of the bigger 5.4 . I would call it "the LS1 that didn't"

I wan't my turn, but I cannot find any GTO's to play with. not yet anyway.....
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote