SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > SVT Cobra R
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2004, 07:04 PM   #1
cowboyharry

Thumbs up Which One ?

I am going to install a Cobra R front end on my 99. Either a Steeda of factory Ford???? Not sure which one to get. Any of youins have any thoughts on this?? Thanks, Harry.
cowboyharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:12 PM   #2
Firme
track deprived

I'm sure the R n steeda front end owners are gonna chime in, but a couple of things... is the steeda front end as low to the ground as the R one? Also, would you want it to be removable or not???

some thought that might help you decide..
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 08:39 AM   #3
NJ2000R
Certified FORD Fanatic!

Send a message via ICQ to NJ2000R Send a message via AIM to NJ2000R Send a message via Yahoo to NJ2000R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firme
I'm sure the R n steeda front end owners are gonna chime in, but a couple of things... is the steeda front end as low to the ground as the R one? Also, would you want it to be removable or not???

some thought that might help you decide..
definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...s=7744#content
2013 Grabber Blue Boss 302 #0003
2000 Cobra R #262 of 300
1995 Cobra R #223 of 250 (IMSA "Hacker Express" #00)
1993 Cobra R (SpeedVision World Challenge "Program Motorsports")
2014 Raptor - Ruby Red SE
1977 Bronco
1968 Mustang 428CJ
1966 Fairlanes - 500 and Squire
1936 Ford 5-window 'The Hot Rod'
NJ2000R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 PM   #4
cowboyharry

[QUDang , It's always something , aint it. I had the body shop order me a Ford R front end. Thanks for the suport tips. I never new there was any problems with them. Harry.OTE=NJ2000R]definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...s=7744#content[/QUOTE]
Old 03-17-2004, 01:29 AM   #5
kevin

if you plan on using the splitter for cosmetics only (slow cruising or car shows) there's no real need to support the front fascia area. if you plan on taking your car to 130mph very often or for extended periods (i.e. on a race track) you will most definetly require the front fascia support. even with the support the splitter will "flutter" but at least it won't tear your front end off (ask me how i found out in 2000).

the fascia suppoer will be needed for either splitter given the aboce criteria. however, the steeda splitter can't really be removed . i have scraped mine in just city driving (you defiently need to remove it to put the car in a trailer and strap it down.
http://www.isaacdirect.com/images/Users/Darth.jpg
kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
cowboyharry

My front nose piece has some damage and I am going to replace it. But after hearing about the trouble you all have had with the R front end I think I will cancel my order and replace it with the stock Cobra front end that is on the car now. I have never had any trouble from my regular Cobra front end (except the gash where it got squished, dont know how that happened, I think my 16 year old might have done it in the garage but he denies it).

I am aware that the R front end is low . I do not drive that fast very often ( I do like to get to the speed limit first). In 2 yearss my car has seen 140 mph only once. I dont think I want to go to the trouble of putting a new R front end on and having to go to the trouble of fabicating supports for it. Looks like Ford would have done a better job on it. Thanks for sharing your knowlage wit me. Harry. Some words were not misspelled, they were wrote with a accent.
Old 03-17-2004, 11:41 PM   #7
NJ2000R
Certified FORD Fanatic!

Send a message via ICQ to NJ2000R Send a message via AIM to NJ2000R Send a message via Yahoo to NJ2000R
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyharry
Some words were not misspelled, they were wrote with a accent.
hmmmm, I thought I recognized that accent....I bought my truck in Loudon
2000 Cobra R #262 of 300
1977 Bronco
1968 Mustang 428CJ
Old 03-18-2004, 12:00 AM   #8
cowboyharry

Kool.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:09 PM   #9
sssvtcobra
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2000R
definately something to consider is the ground clearance issue....more so if you have a car that's been lowered....and another is the loose fit of the front fascia on your car as it comes from the factory, which will need added reinforcement regardless which splitter you add....the front of my R use to scrape bottom all the time, and at high speed, would actually flutter....in fact, if you go out to your car, put your hand in the front openings below the bumper, you can probably move it up and down an inch or more....eventually at high speeds it will rattle loose and possibly even break the headlight supports....I will supply a link to pics of the reinforcements that I've added....a few others have done similar reinforcing with similar results....one advantage to going with the ford splitter is that it can be removed, either for loading onto a trailer, or if you have a steep incline into your driveway, or gas stations, stores, etc, if that condition exists where you live....link to reinforcements: http://www.superford.org/registry/ve...s=7744#content
I was also thinking about putting an R front splitter on my car, I have an '01. I saw this and thought I would ask a quick question. Do you know of any reinforcement kits that I could purchase for the Ford R splitter? I don't really plan on doing any real high speeds at a track or anything, I just don't want to worry about it. I do alot of highway driving at speeds of 65-90 mph for extended periods of time.

Thank you in advance
Jeff
C/D and slotted rotors
Hawk HPS pads
S.S. Brake lines
MM C/C plates
MM Fr. & Rr. coilovers
'00 R shocks
Bilstein race valved struts
KB rear shock tower brace
MM Full Length Sub's
Custom rear seat delete
MGW Shifter
Steeda Bumpsteer kit
Steeda X2 Balljoints
sssvtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2004, 12:22 PM   #10
NJ2000R
Certified FORD Fanatic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssvtcobra
I was also thinking about putting an R front splitter on my car, I have an '01. I saw this and thought I would ask a quick question. Do you know of any reinforcement kits that I could purchase for the Ford R splitter? I don't really plan on doing any real high speeds at a track or anything, I just don't want to worry about it. I do alot of highway driving at speeds of 65-90 mph for extended periods of time.

Thank you in advance
Jeff
Jeff, at normal highway speeds you should be fine....there is no kit available that I know of....most of us have fabbed something up ourselves....
2000 Cobra R #262 of 300
1977 Bronco
1968 Mustang 428CJ
Old 04-06-2004, 09:03 PM   #11
cowboyharry

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2000R
Jeff, at normal highway speeds you should be fine....there is no kit available that I know of....most of us have fabbed something up ourselves....
But what is normal?????
Old 04-08-2004, 03:04 PM   #12
Cobra-R
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Cobra-R
55 MPH, of course.

Brian

PS: They don't seem to have a problem under 120 mph.
2011 BMW M3
2010 Camaro SS
2008 Corvette Z06
2000 Cobra R #131 of 300
1995 Cobra R #23 (AV8SS and NASA AI #23)
I'm out of my mind, but feel free to leave a message...
Cobra-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 08:43 PM   #13
bolt-on
WingNuts

Send a message via AIM to bolt-on Send a message via Yahoo to bolt-on
Splitter Support Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssvtcobra

Thank you in advance
Jeff
Sean Hyland Motorsports catalog lists two splitter support kits, one for the Cobra and the other for the Steeda. www.seanhylandmotorsport.com The catalog description states, "The kit includes a durable aluminum/plastic honeycomb plate and T6061 aluminum support rods which attach to the bumper rebar. All hardware included."
1997 Rio Red GT Convertible (MCA show pony)
2007 Vista Blue California Special (her summer daily driver)
bolt-on is offline   Reply With Quote