User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2010, 04:17 PM   #1
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
SCT X3 tune for stock pulley

I orderd an SCT X3 hand held tuner with a custom tune specific for my 04 Cobra. The only mod to my car is an SLP cat-back exhaust. I opted not to have the traction control turned off since the button does the job and wanted to keep that function. Over the winter I would crank up the engine and let it run for a while at least twice a month so the battery would not die on me which happend last year resulting in a few issues. Last night the weather was cooperating a bit. Warmed up the engine for a while before loading up the new program. Note, my car is essentially stock (except for air filter, plugs, and cat-back). Loaded up the new tune which was an easy task. Had to move the wife's car out of the way and took a test drive. Unfortunately, it started raining but not much to pose an issue since the roads were still dry. I took it easy until the engine was at optimum operating temperature. I did notice the fan control was different. The exhaust sounded healty. The road surface was still dry and when I got to the highway time to open up.

Not sure exactly what gains there are if any, but dang, I should have done this long ago. I was quite used to the factory tune and acceleration but I was not prepared to feel a difference. Was really contemplating changing the rear gears as if it was not needed now. The reason for the tuner was for the gear change and the ability to do some minor data logging. I was not expecting my backside to feel the difference
My trip was to go to the local store and pick up some items my wife asked me to get. Of course it turned out to be a 20 mile trip but well worth it. After getting out of the store, the rain became more abundant and the roads were wet. (took me a long time to figure out that chicken stock is kept with the soup, plus I was on the phone with a buddy of mine giving him an update on my plans to mod my car). Time to see how the traction control responds. It did not seem to be a hinderance, unfortunately my tires were hooking up like glue on the wet surfaces, WTF? More road time will be necessary just to see if there are any differences with the traction control on and getting it to trip into active mode (the old spit and bogg with loss of power and fear of getting hit by another car while pulling out into traffic mode).

So far I am impressed with the differences. Is there anything I sould be concerned with? The tuner said the tune will be safe if I drop the pulley to a 3.1". Before I make any pulley changes, I would prefer to have it dyno tuned to be safe.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #2
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
A good dyno tune to fine tune it would be the safest way to go. Your hp has probably increased by 75 rwhp. WTG with your new found power.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:53 AM   #3
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
I doubt that I have gained 75rwhp with just a custom tune on a stock motor (still have the pulley which is ? 3.6"? However, the difference I felt was about the same when being used to driving an 01 cobra and moving over to the 04.

I will wait for a pulley swap since the cost for dyno tune is around $800.00. I plan to stay conservative and only drop to a 3.2 inch. I believe when the time is near I will swap the pulley and have the A/F checked and tune if necessary.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote