User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
cbrown9064
SCMC Member

Brake noise

Hey!

I searched this forum for "brakes" and looked at all the posts about noise. I could not find anything that matches up with my issue.

I have a constant squeak "eak-eak-eak" (how is that for a technical sound?) when driving at lower speeds (25mph). It is not real loud, but you can hear it. Especially when there is another car next to you (echos back).

I pulled the calipers off and everything looks good. The brakes were redone a couple of years ago with Ford parts. This is on the front. I rotated the rotor by hand it is seems like there is a bit of runout, but within tolerance. So, the pads must be dragging a bit causing the back and forth vibration.

Here is the deal. The stock pads have those "circle clips" that solidly lock the pad into either the pistons or outside caliper housing. They cannot move back and forth at all once installed. The factory "spring clips" (on the top of the inside and outside pads) are the only thing that seem like they may be making the squeaking noise.

I got some of the CRC "Disc Brake Quiet" orange goop and put it around where the spring clip locks on the pad. That didn't fix anything. I am hesitant to smear this goo around the backs of the pads since they lock in with the little circle clips so tight that I don't think it will do anything besides make a mess for later.

I know this is very hard to diagnose over the internet, but any thoughts on this? Thanks in advance.
Chris

#7188 of 7496 Born on 6/20/96
1 of 725 Black/Saddle
cbrown9064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #2
cfradam

dont be afraid to put some of the disc quiet on the back of your pads.if you look close at the back you can see where the pad rests on the caliper.in some cases the pad will still have small movement that can create the noise you describe.if you lightly step on the peddle and the noise goes away then most likely a littlr lube on the back of the pad will help.if you step on the brake and the noise doesnt go away it may be time for a new hub.

Adam
cfradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 11:26 PM   #3
cbrown9064
SCMC Member

Hi

OK, I will give that a try. Right around the "circle clips" would be a good place?

If you step lightly on the pedal, it does go away.

CB
Attached Images

#7188 of 7496 Born on 6/20/96
1 of 725 Black/Saddle
cbrown9064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:39 PM   #4
cfradam

your pads came with a thin piece of plastic to stop the rubbing but I always put a thin coating of disc quiet over that.you only need to lube where the caliper touches.dont lube the clips, but the rest of the back of the pad is ok
cfradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #5
ROC REV

I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM AND HAVE LOOKED EVERYWHERE FOR AN ANSWER. My brakes don't squeak when I use them, but as you are rolling down the road there is a spot where the rotor hits the pad (at least I think that is what it is) and so the faster you go the faster the "beep" is. It's pretty loud and crazy annoying. Are you guys saying that putting the noise cutting goop on the back of the pads can help this? Seems to me the bigger problem is the fact that my brakes are dragging in spots. Any other thoughts?
ROC REV is offline   Reply With Quote