SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
SVTSnak

Question Funk on the window...what from?

Hey all...

I've actually cleaned all my windows on the inside with straight ammonia because they were kinda funky (like a streaky haze) when I got the car. I figured it was either smoke or possibly they used chemical glass cleaner or something (like in the can, not like Windex).

I tried Windex several times, but a soon as I'd wipe it dry, it seemed to almost only smear the streaks...that's why I did straight ammonia. The only way I got it to work was wipe it quick with ammonia on a paper towel and then take a separate dry paper towel and rub it dry/clean. Not wipe...but almost rubbing it dry.

However, I've noticed after a few days to a week, the haze comes back. I also am getting two "long" streaks from the bottom of the windshield going up towards the top at the right and left sides where the ends of the defroster vents are in the dash. I'm thinking this usually happens when I have the AC on. Also remember it's been 105+ out here and the car sits out all day long in the sun when I'm at work.

I've heard rumors this could possible be the leather still "gassing" because it's hot in the car. Is that possible considering it's a '96? It's a one owner car (well, two now. LOL) out of Oregon, but I don't know if it was consistently garaged or what.

The rear window also gets "hazy (along with the side windows) after a while.

Could this mean any type of problem with the AC? Like it's leaking or something when it's on or is it just a wonderful combo of 105+ temps and me cooling it down with the AC?

Any help would be appreciated.

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Plate: SVTSNAK
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
SVTSnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 12:41 AM   #2
kng9nothing

Do you notice any odd smells (like antifreeze)? Usually one of the first signs of a heater core that is leaking is either the smell of antifreeze or the "fogging" of the inside of the windshield. It could be something completely different, but I would check this out.
1997 Cobra #3704/6961
Rio Red w/Saddle Cloth Interior
MGW Shifter
Steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster
kng9nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:57 AM   #3
SVTSnak

Hey there Mike,

That's the first thing I thought of too, but no strange smells. It smells fine..either with the AC on or off. No sweet smell like most times you get with antifreeze.

I'll try and look up where the heater core is for the car and try and look at it if I can...but I don't smell anything wierd and I haven't seen any leaking inside or outside of the car.

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
Old 07-20-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
oldguy

Not sure if a film that heavy is caused by plastic gassing (dashboard etc), but it is possible. I use Invisible Glass by Stoner. It works very well and it appears to keep the inside glass cleaner for a much longer period. I first started using Invisible Glass in my 96 (168K mile) Taurus because the inside of the windows always looked like they had cigarette smoke on them. As you know it has a huge dash, and wind shields, so lots of chance for plastic gassing. Of course always make sure that the glass is cool when you clean it to make it easier on yourself.
oldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
SVTSnak

Thanks for the info, Oldguy.

That's exactly what it looks like...cigarette smoke on the windshield. After cleaning it before with straight ammonia, it has gotten a bit better.

it took longer for the "haze" to come back and this time I just used Windex and it cleaned it better than before. So, I don't know if the straight ammonia helped cut whatever was on the windshield before or what, but it still seems to happen here and there.

Plus, it's WAY hotter here than in Oregon and as clean as the car is, the person probably kept it in a garage mostly, so it's possible because of the extreme heat here and it sits outside in the sun (even though I put a sunshade in the windshield when I'm at work), maybe the plastic and/or leather is still gassing because of the more extreme heat out here. I don't know.

But hopefully I can keep cutting the stuff with Windex...I admit one of my petpeaves is being able to look through a nice clean windshield...it drives me nuts if it's dirty/smokey/hazy. LOL

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
Old 07-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
It sounds like outgassing of the composit materials used to manufactur the interior parts. I smoke but never in my cars and I get the same film. Even my girlfriends car has it and she is not a smoker. The soft vinyl will condinue to emit gasses that will film up on the windows (that is until it drys out completely). Also some vinyl cleaners may contribute to the film build up. I reduced the amount of times I use the protectant sprays on the dash and the film does not appear as quickly.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote