SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > Autocross/Open Track /OTC updates
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2005, 02:29 AM   #1
kdm_usa

I'm about to take my Cobra on the track

Hey guys,

This is my first post on this forum. I just bought a '97 Cobra a few days ago.

I'm an avid fan of track days and roadracing. I'd like to take this car to a few track days. Have there been any problems reported with guys taking stock Cobras on the track? Any reliability mods that I need to do beforehand?

I've done many track days with my '88 supercharged MR2, and it's totally stock. However, a good friend of mine blew up his Porsche 944 the first time he took it on the track. Apparently the 944 doesn't have good baffeling in its stock oil pan, so his engine ran dry in the corners. This is the sort of thing I want to avoid!

What are the best street/track brake pads? My car's a daily driver. I'm just looking for pads that will resist fade on the track but still be good for street use.
kdm_usa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Hazman

Since you have done this before you know the regular stuff like change oil, trans & diff fluid, bleed brakes, check coolant, etc.

Specific to the Cobra you should install braided stainless steel front brake lines or 99 and up brake lines. We require these on 96-98 Cobras for our track events. The front brakes on these cars get really hot at the track and there have been cases where the stock lines failed.

If you really want to help the front brakes put on some cooling ducts. You can remove the fog lights and us the openings as intakes and route some duct around to the wheels. Several of the folks on here have done this and it helps. There are some post here on this as well as some folks who are making kits now.

As for Pads I run the Autozone Performance Z pads since they have a lifetime warrenty and I get free replacements! Another good pad is the Hawk HP+. For every day use on the street go with ceramics. They fade too much for track use but they generate little to no dust so you don't have to clean the wheels every day.

What trak events are you planning for you and the Cobra? Depending on your location you should join us at Gingerman this fall.
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 10:55 AM   #3
kdm_usa

Thanks for your advice!

What are the best vendors for stainless steel brake lines?

I'm in LA, so I'll be going to Willow Springs and Buttonwillow. I've gone out with the LA Shelby club and the So Cal Cobra clubs in the past with my Toyota, so I'll try to hook up with them again now that I actually own a Ford!

Cheers,
Karim
Old 04-05-2005, 11:05 AM   #4
Firme
track deprived

I have these for my brake lines..
http://www.maximummotorsports.com/bhknew.asp
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #5
Hazman

Karim
You cannot go wrong with the lines or anything else from Maximun Motorsports. They are great folks with good products.

You should get in touch with our other members in Cal.

http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/f...splay.php?f=57

I would like to get out to CAl. to run some of the tracks someday!
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 04:31 PM   #6
kdm_usa

Thanks guys for all your help! I hope to see you at the races sometime. For those of you who haven't been to Willow Springs, it's a fabulous track with high-speed corners and long straigts--perfect for our cars.

Cheers,

Karim