SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Shelby Forums > Shelby GT500 Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-21-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
nospeedlimit

Shelby Cobra for $35K, not a penny more

Hi, I'm a newbie here and the last Ford I owned was a Ford Tempo 1984 (bought used in 1987). So I'm not really a Ford fan. Some of my dislikes for Ford could be attributed to my own ignorance about the Ford Line (can you blame me, after the Tempo experience I did not want to hear Ford any more) and the "uglification" of the Mustang over the past 30 years. However, I have been drawn to the new Mustang (like just about everyone else) in the past year. I did some limited research and realized that I wanted more power than the current GT. I decided that the 07 Cobra (or whatever they are calling it) would be my next car.

I then stumbled on to this site and realized that the rumors are for a huge markup by the "stealers". $100,000? For a Ford?

Not even for the GT. Get real.

I have made the mistake of buying a first run edition twice in the last 5 years. I got my PT Cruiser the first month it came out (piece of crap car even after I put a turbo stage II on it) and I currently own a 2003 Chevy SSR Vin#1725 . I got both at sticker since I had put my name on a list 2 years in advance.

The Cobra 07 is not really a first run but can be treated as one. From experience, I will tell you that the "stealers" will jack the price up 10K initially (remember the TB) but many will sell at sticker. In a year they will be selling it at a considerable discount. Only car enthusiast would want one, the rest will get a GT version of the Mustang. I love my SSR and will probably keep it for a few more years. It still turns heads but I wish I had waited for an 05 to get the extra ponies. (heck it's cruiser not a racer, I keep telling myself)

But to pay 50K for this car is insane let alone $100,000. The C6 Z06 is just around the corner with better performance. The new BMW M5 is coming out next year for about $75k if you need a 4 seater. Lets not talk about the E55 AMG by MB with a price tag around $80K. There are so many many cars I would considerer if I wanted to spend 100K. A Mustang is not one of them.

Now having said that, I would love to own one of these new cobras for 35K and I bet I will get one one year post production.
nospeedlimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2005, 11:10 PM   #2
bobbys97r

wow why are you on this site

1997 COBRA
Mods
Alu Driveshaft
BBK CAI
BBK twin 65mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
O/R X-pipe
40 series flowmaster
Battery relocation
Tokico Adj Drag struts
Eibach lowering springs
CC plates

needs installing BBK ceramic longtubes and shorty X
bobbys97r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2005, 12:05 AM   #3
Cobra4me
R&R4ever

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4me
your on the wrong forum. Do a search on pt cruiser forum
Cobra4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:12 PM   #4
bbrence

$35K Cobra

To bobbys97r:

You Sonny, are not only rude, "you're" illiterate. It's "you're" or "you are", not "your". The guy [unlike you] makes a lot of sense. Ford is fully aware that $50K-100K is out of the question for a Mustang. The car was never designed for that market.....even the Cobra. Be honest, it is a great performer for the money, but in no way, does it have the fit and finish necessary to compete in that price range.

Bottom line: The 2007 Cobra, GT 500, SVT or whatever, is "NOT" a Shelby in any sense of the word. Shelby was paid a few bucks for the use of his name, and a few photo-ops. Shelby didn't design it or build it!!!!! It's a Ford Mustang with a supercharged engine and a bit more attention paid to the drive train......a bit more attention to the quality of the interior. YOU would be a total idiot to pay much more than $40k. Racing stripes and a supercharger are not worth an extra $15,000. My guess is that MSRP will be set at $39K and change. Ford knows it's market!

I bought a new 2004 SVT Cobra for $29K. I Bought a 2004 Premium GT for $21.5K $7.5K for IRS, DOHC supercharged, better built engine, better leather seats, better wheels, better tires, better brakes...... seemed like a fair price to me. But $40K???? Thats pushing the limit!!!!
Various billet interior pieces
Cobra floor mats
Cobra trunk mat
Cobra stainless Laser-cut pulley cover
Billet gas filler door
Stainless polished letter inserts
Cobra sport bra

2003 Windstar SEL
bbrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:29 AM   #5
jjraiser

bbrence, amen, brother! The car is good, but it just won't be that good.

Besides, there isn't a soul out there that's going to pay 100,000 for a GT500 (If so, they'd be the biggest moron north of the South Pole). Ford dealers know this too. I agree, there will be a considerable mark-up, just like we're seeing on the Mustang GTs and even V6s. Is the car worth the mark-up? I don't think so, but many do, so they'll sell at the higher price. How much? Probably at least $10K higher, but who cares?

I know this, if someone pays $100,000 (or close to it) for a GT500, they better save a bit of that money to get their head examined.
Red Brembo 355mm Gran Tourismo front brakes, High-temp brake cooling ducts, Red Ford Motorsport rear calipers with matching Brembo rear slotted rotors and hawk pads, K&N Filtercharger, Borla cat-back (w/ heat wrap at the diff), Bosch Platinum Plus-2 plugs, Eibach Pro Kit, Red Sparco alcantara seats (w/ custom lowered seat racks), rear seat-delete, KB strut tower brace, Kirban shifter, Black Saleen-style rims (18x9 / 18x10), Goodyear F1 GS-D3s (255/285), Steeda battery relocation kit, Steeda Oil Separator, Steeda race wing (black w/ aluminum side plates), Shinoda front chin spoiler, Steeda clutch quadrant and firewall cable adjuster, Silverstar headlamps/foglamps.
jjraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 09:26 AM   #6
kilroy

Send a message via AIM to kilroy Send a message via MSN to kilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrence
To bobbys97r:

You Sonny, are not only rude, "you're" illiterate. It's "you're" or "you are", not "your". The guy [unlike you] makes a lot of sense. Ford is fully aware that $50K-100K is out of the question for a Mustang. The car was never designed for that market.....even the Cobra. Be honest, it is a great performer for the money, but in no way, does it have the fit and finish necessary to compete in that price range.
I agree with your pricing point bbrence - Edit: I was embarrassed by bobby's post.

Nospeedlimit, expect ~$40k out the door. There are always dealerships who mark up +$5k for the right to have the first on the block. The new "Shelby GT500" will be no exception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrence
Bottom line: The 2007 Cobra, GT 500, SVT or whatever, is "NOT" a Shelby in any sense of the word. Shelby was paid a few bucks for the use of his name, and a few photo-ops. Shelby didn't design it or build it!!!!! It's a Ford Mustang with a supercharged engine and a bit more attention paid to the drive train......a bit more attention to the quality of the interior. YOU would be a total idiot to pay much more than $40k.~
In this day & age, it most certainly is a Shelby. Carroll was brought in as a consultant & allowed FoMoCo to leverage his name as a result. It's not just a Mustang with stripes & a blower as you suggest. Because of Shelby's input, it's a bit more.

Shelby History
I guess the 68-70 Shelbys aren't really Shelby's either, by your definition. I'm sure A.O. Smith would disagree...
Old 09-10-2005, 06:24 PM   #7
bobbys97r

1997 COBRA
Mods
Alu Driveshaft
BBK CAI
BBK twin 65mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
O/R X-pipe
40 series flowmaster
Battery relocation
Tokico Adj Drag struts
Eibach lowering springs
CC plates

Old 09-10-2005, 06:25 PM   #8
bobbys97r

1997 COBRA
Mods
Alu Driveshaft
BBK CAI
BBK twin 65mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
O/R X-pipe
40 series flowmaster
Battery relocation
Tokico Adj Drag struts
Eibach lowering springs
CC plates

Old 09-10-2005, 08:33 PM   #9
RF Cobra

If you can't carry on a civilized conversation then you need to continue it off the board either through email or PM.

I believe this thread is about the 07 Shelby GT 500 and pricing...keep it on topic without the personal attacks guys.
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 08:40 PM   #10
bbrence

A "Shelby"?

Well, if it makes you happy to call it a Shelby, go right ahead, BUT the original Shelby group that engineered and built the Cobra and customized the Mustang GT 350R, NO LONGER EXISTS!!! So called "Shelby continuation cars" are built by an entirely different company in Texas. Shelby "consulted" [whatever that means] on the 2007? This concept car was completely designed and built "in house" at Ford Motor company.....as will all the production models. Calling it a Shelby doesn't make it one.......it's called "Marketing"! It's not a bad car, may even be a great car.......but it's a Shelby in name only!
Various billet interior pieces
Cobra floor mats
Cobra trunk mat
Cobra stainless Laser-cut pulley cover
Billet gas filler door
Stainless polished letter inserts
Cobra sport bra

2003 Windstar SEL
bbrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2005, 10:08 PM   #11
bobbys97r

1997 COBRA
Mods
Alu Driveshaft
BBK CAI
BBK twin 65mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
O/R X-pipe
40 series flowmaster
Battery relocation
Tokico Adj Drag struts
Eibach lowering springs
CC plates

Old 09-10-2005, 11:02 PM   #12
RF Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbys97r
poor old guy I didnt mean to make him that mid life thing is rough I hear
Oh, I guess that was supposed to make me mad and join in your flame war dribble. Sorry.

It'll be over a decade before I'm even close. It might help if you knew what you were talking about when you posted. I just think it is funny that the 2 year olds I teach exhibit more maturity than those who are a lot older and supposedly smarter that get into petty flaming/arguments and name calling over nothing.

You may want to try www.svtperformance.com I hear they have hundreds of people with nothing better to do than to start silly flame wars and name calling contests. I only wish I had that much spare time on my hands...
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2005, 10:17 AM   #13
bobbys97r

1997 COBRA
Mods
Alu Driveshaft
BBK CAI
BBK twin 65mm TB
Pro 5.0 shifter
O/R X-pipe
40 series flowmaster
Battery relocation
Tokico Adj Drag struts
Eibach lowering springs
CC plates

Old 09-11-2005, 11:41 PM   #14
kilroy

Send a message via AIM to kilroy Send a message via MSN to kilroy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Cobra
It might help if you knew what you were talking about when you posted. I just think it is funny that the 2 year olds I teach exhibit more maturity than those who are a lot older and supposedly smarter that get into petty flaming/arguments and name calling over nothing.
own.T
Old 09-12-2005, 01:51 AM   #15
Firme
track deprived

absolutely no personal attacks will be tolerated on these forums. If people want to call other people names, please do it elsewhere.

This is my only warning. Please treat others with respect, or you will post here no more. The SCMC member forums are to remain friendly, mature, and family oriented. We also promote camaraderie.
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote