User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2006, 12:16 AM   #1
mojosvt
SCMC Member

Send a message via AIM to mojosvt
A few pulley and tuning questions

I currently and running a bassani catted x-pipe and SLP loudmouth catback. I will be installing my JLT CAI tomorrow. All my other mods are suspension. I know that I will be needed a tune soon. But how soon? I know that I will be running a little lean, but will it be safe for a little while?

Secondly, I will be looking into a pulley swap, with a tune. I really have no idea what I am going to need. I don't want to go too radical, so I was thinking 2.93...? I assume that I am going to need a new belt? I see that a lot of people run and idler??? Or aux pullley tensioner???? Pros/Cons???? Can I install it all myself?

In terms of tuning, can i just order a handheld tuner, and get it programed and then hook it up? Do I have to take the car somewhere?

What is recommended by all of you who have done this. I want to do it the right way, and the safe way for the car. Thanks everybody for any input. I know that there have been a ton of posts about bits and pieces, and I have been searching, but just thought that I would start a new post to see if I could get the whole deal. Thanks again, Mike

1996 Mystic Cobra Coupe, Griggs and MM track ready SOLD
2003 Mineral Gray Cobra convertible #466, 1 of 152 SOLD
mojosvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 01:43 AM   #2
InfamousSVT

You can install the CAI with your current mods without a new tune, I would suggest that you don't go WOT (wide open throttle) until you get it checked on a dyno to check the a/f ratio.

For tuning and a pulley I'd contact Amazon Tuning Solutions, they will be able to hook you up with everything you need.
www.amazonracing.com

You will be able to install everything yourself, but for the pulley swap you will need a pulley puller (which aren't cheap) or have a shop do it that has one already.

Good luck.

1994 Chevy S-10 - DailyDriver
InfamousSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 09:26 PM   #3
Pro-Dyno
Super Moderator

Thumbs up

You should get it on a Dyno some of these cars are lean and some are rich you never know which you have until you check it. I tuned 2 this week end the stock one was in the mid 12's like 12.5-12.6 afr at wide open. This is with no mods cold air would have definitely leaned it out to extremely danger’s levels.

As for the pulley's the difference from a 2.8 to a 2.93 is minor as far as were on the car the only down fall of a 2.9 is telling your self dame I should have went with the 2.8

Good Luck