Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2006, 05:05 PM   #1
tones688
SCMC Member

Brake Fluid Replacement in a '94

I'm sure this is elementary to most here, but if you don't mind, how about laying out the best sequence for changing the brake fluid in my '94 coupe. I've only ever bled the brakes before one at a time so i'm a little unclear about how best to accomplish a complete fluid change. Best I can come up with is to remove all four wheels while jacked up and suck fluid out of the master cylinder using a syringe or similiar suction device and open the bleed lines on all four wheels and let gravity take it from there. Shut the bleed lines, fill resevoir with new fluid and bleed each wheel one at a time.

There's gotta be a better way.. lol
Old 03-23-2006, 06:01 PM   #2
Hazman

DO NOT DO THAT!!!!!

Remove all four wheels while jacked up and suck fluid out of the master cylinder using a syringe or similiar suction device. Then refill the master cylinder with fresh fluid. You will need a clear bottle and a piece of clear tubing. The tubing should have an inner diameter small enough that it fits tightly over the brake bleed valve. Have a friend sit in the car and press firmly on the brake pedal. With a closed end wrench (metric 10 or 11) open the brake bleed valve slowly until you see fluid rise into the tube. Allow fluid to continue until the friend in the car says the pedal is almost to the floor, then close the bleed valve. Allow the brake pedal to rise and repeat. You need to do this until you see fresh fluid in the tube and no bubbles of any size. The order to do thes is first bleed the passenger rear, then the driver rear, then the passenger front, and finally the driver front. Make sure you check the master cylinder about every five pumps on the brake pedal and add fluid as needed, The worst thing you can do is get air in the master cylinder.
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:06 PM   #3
tones688
SCMC Member

Thanks Haz I take it that it will be obvious when new fluid comes out of the blled line then? And also, when I suck the old fluid out of the MC, should I leave some amount in there so as not to get air into the MC as you warned above?
Old 03-23-2006, 06:53 PM   #4
Hazman

The old fluid should be darker and more opaque. I doubt you can get ALL the fluid out but yes do leave a little. Take your time and make sure after you close the bleed valves you wipe the caliper down good with a damp cloth to remove any brake fluid.
Hazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:50 PM   #5
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
I'm not trying to scare you or anything but if you let the fluid run out and you get air where the ABS block is then you will have a much bigger problem on your hands. Make sure you do not run out of fluid in the MC or you'll be making a trip to the Ford dealer to get them to fix it for you....

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Sonic Blue
retired ff/pm

http://www.trackhaus.com/brake-bleeder-3-ctg.htm

Best money I ever spent.

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra](Gone but not Forgotten)

Candy Red 2011 GT
6 speed manual
Brembo package
electronics package
comfort and security
3:73 gears
Sonic Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 04:41 PM   #7
bat-stang

Also if you don't have a partner to help you, I purchased a set of speed bleeders so I can do it myself ( Russell makes them and also this other company--can't remember the name but Oreilly auto carries the item. Ask for speed bleeders). Yes I have to get out and look at the clear bottle n stuff but they are very convenient. 2 bits worth.

Batman
1993 Cobra #3591: 306, Long tubes, UPR front suspension, '04 Cobra Brakes, '01 / 04 Hybrid hard tail IRS subframe, Trick Flow Goodies under hood, HP Design 5 spoke wheels, yada, yada, yada...
bat-stang is offline   Reply With Quote