SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Shelby Forums > Shelby GT500 Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2006, 07:28 PM   #1
bbrence
Registered User
 
bbrence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Vancouver, Washington
Posts: 50
So you want a new 2007 GT 500????

Save your money......in my humble opinion. See the July issue of "Car and Driver". I quote, "In the end, we wish the GT 500 had more horses to go with it's lofty price. The last [2003-2004] SVT Cobra only cost $35,000......AND WAS JUST AS QUICK!!!! This thing will not beat a stock C6 Corvette in a drag race......it would be hopelessly outclassed in a road race. And if you manage to avoid humiliation from a C6........there is always a Z06 waiting at the next stoplight. Save your money........take care of your 03/04 SVT Cobra. The GT 500 is a "Shelby" in name only. Ford needs to go back to the drawing board and find a way to chop off about 300 pounds.....plus engineer the aluminum block for the motor. I disagree with Car and Driver. The car doesn't need more horsepower, it needs less weight and better weight distribution. I'll gladly keep my 2004 with IRS.
__________________
2004 Screaming Yellow, SVT Cobra Coupe
Mods:
K&N air filter
Various billet interior pieces
Cobra floor mats
Cobra trunk mat
Cobra stainless Laser-cut pulley cover
Billet gas filler door
Stainless polished letter inserts
Cobra sport bra



2003 Windstar SEL
bbrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:30 PM   #2
redsnake99
SCMC Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: NV, NY, SC
Posts: 1,258
I'm getting ready to tell my dealer to insert his Shelby GT500 price where the sun don't shine. If anyone else wants a Tungsten coupe with the interior upgrade, here's how you can get one:

Sticker is $43,500
My deposit was $5000
Dealer "stick it to the buyer" additional cost is $20,000
something for my trouble and years of anticipaiton is $5000

Total amount to send me ASAP is $ $73,500. I'll then take delivery and sign the car over to you. Got to do this quickly before I lose my place in line (#2 at Capital Ford in Raleigh).

Anticipated delivery is Mid-October.

__________________
Dave Stanfield - SCMC 424
redsnake99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:36 PM   #3
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!
 
nckissfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Browns Summit, NC
Posts: 2,849
Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
ouch
__________________
nckissfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:21 PM   #4
tomsgarage
SCMC Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chapin,SC
Posts: 76
John Colletti wrote an article in the SVT Magazine a few years ago talking about the "Horsepower Wars" that were developing between Ford, GM and Chrysler. His answer to how much horsepower Ford was working on for the next generation Cobra was not about the horsepower, but how to get the weight out of the cars. His thinking being that once you get over 500 Horsepower in a production car that anyone can buy, you start to draw the attention of the Insurance Companies, Safety Experts and the Federal Government!

Of course he is no longer with Ford, and we all know about the weight issues on the new Shelby!

Anyone remember 1971?

I'm keeping my 2003 Cobra for as long as I can!
__________________
03 Mineral Grey Coupe
Build Date 6/14/02
# 589 of 8394
1 of 302 Mineral Gray Coupes
Maximum Motorsports Frame Rail Connectors
Steeda Cat Back Exhaust
Steeda Cold Air Intake
MGW Shifter-Red Handle
Kenny Brown Brake Cooling Kit
2000 Cobra R Front Brakes
Maximum Motorsports IRS Subframe Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates
Maximum Motorsports Steering Rack Bushings
Maximum Motorsports Differential Bushings
Steeda Sport Springs
tomsgarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 01:36 AM   #5
Firme
track deprived
 
Firme's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Missouri City (Sienna), Tx
Posts: 5,556
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsgarage
John Colletti wrote...
He was SVT IMHO.. now its a marketing stradegy. Hopefully they will wisen up and follow the path Colletti started down.
__________________
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupe
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces
 

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 08:24 AM   #6
ProfChaos
Registered User
 
ProfChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsgarage
John Colletti wrote an article in the SVT Magazine a few years ago talking about the "Horsepower Wars" that were developing between Ford, GM and Chrysler. His answer to how much horsepower Ford was working on for the next generation Cobra was not about the horsepower, but how to get the weight out of the cars. His thinking being that once you get over 500 Horsepower in a production car that anyone can buy, you start to draw the attention of the Insurance Companies, Safety Experts and the Federal Government!

Of course he is no longer with Ford, and we all know about the weight issues on the new Shelby!

Anyone remember 1971?

I'm keeping my 2003 Cobra for as long as I can!
Does anyone happen to have handy the weight-gain factor from the first 4.6 L Modular Cobra to the 5.4 L GT-500, and how much of that weight might be attributable to the 5.4 L engine versus the 4.6 L?

My Florida title for the '96 Cobra coupe lists the estimated weight at 3401 lbs. (I think that includes all fluids and a full tank of gasoline).

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
ProfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
ausie
Don't let the dog drive
 
ausie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 1,883
Send a message via MSN to ausie
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfChaos
Does anyone happen to have handy the weight-gain factor from the first 4.6 L Modular Cobra to the 5.4 L GT-500, and how much of that weight might be attributable to the 5.4 L engine versus the 4.6 L?

My Florida title for the '96 Cobra coupe lists the estimated weight at 3401 lbs. (I think that includes all fluids and a full tank of gasoline).

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
I believe the dry weights for the 99/01 was 3430lbs (3560lbs convertable). It was not until the 03/04 model year that the Cobra got fat with 3665lbs (210lbs in iron and some in the rear end for the mods to the IRS cradle.) As for the GT500, the coupe weighs in at 3920lbs (convertable 4040lbs) which is only a 255lb increase from the 03/04 model. Some of the increase in weight is from the body and not much is added from the weight of the motor. If you add in the wight of the IRS assembly, increase total weight by Not sure what the first 4.6L Cobra weighed in at. The door jam on my Cobra lists Gross Vehicle Curb Weight at 4450lbs. I would assume that means full tank of gas and 700lbs of people+ luggage in the vehicle which is the maximum payload of 785lbs.

In comparisson (using conservative SAE #'s) the GT-500 (500hp)has 7.84lb/Hp, 03/04 Cobra (390) is 9.39lb/hp [reality will prove differently assuming that the 03/04 produces closer to 420hp the number drops to 6.88lb/hp], and the 2001 Cobra (320hp) has 10.71lb/hp.
__________________
2004 SVT Cobra, Silver, February 2004
SVT Build # 2485 out of 3768
SLP Loudmouth Cat-back
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)


(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:44 AM   #8
beerkat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Myrtle Beach, SC
Posts: 476
The last time Ford stuck a truck motor (5.4) in a Mustang they called it the Cobra R.Yes I know that there are some differences between the engine in the GT500 and my Lightning but not that much.

Our local dealer is asking $63,000 and change for a GT500. For $64,000 and change I have my '01 Lightning and my '03 Cobra. Two is better than one.
beerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 10:39 PM   #9
ProfChaos
Registered User
 
ProfChaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Tampa Bay Area
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbrence
Save your money......in my humble opinion. See the July issue of "Car and Driver". I quote, "In the end, we wish the GT 500 had more horses to go with it's lofty price. The last [2003-2004] SVT Cobra only cost $35,000......AND WAS JUST AS QUICK!!!! This thing will not beat a stock C6 Corvette in a drag race......it would be hopelessly outclassed in a road race. And if you manage to avoid humiliation from a C6........there is always a Z06 waiting at the next stoplight. Save your money........take care of your 03/04 SVT Cobra. The GT 500 is a "Shelby" in name only. Ford needs to go back to the drawing board and find a way to chop off about 300 pounds.....plus engineer the aluminum block for the motor. I disagree with Car and Driver. The car doesn't need more horsepower, it needs less weight and better weight distribution. I'll gladly keep my 2004 with IRS.

With all the bells and whistles + gas-guzzler tax, the car should sell for $44,760 (before state sales tax, which can sometimes be bypassed). That includes Sirius radio package and 1000 Watt "Shaker" Audiophile System. The dealers who are gouging people who do not want to wait a little while for a customer-ordered GT500 to come in at MSRP---well, you know that some dealerships are not that far removed from that shifty guy who buys junk at the auto auction and then preys upon the unsuspecting. ...It wasn't too many months back that the same scoundrels were gouging people on 2005 Mustang GT's--which are now (2006 GT's) selling below MSRP in some cases.

I was told by a dealership several months back that I might have to wait for a few months for the Shelby to come in, but they would agree in principle to sell me one at MSRP. (The guy even wanted to write the order form, without a deposit, because he was confident that the car would move even if I backed out of the deal.) He also made note that at that price they would still be making about $6-9K on the deal. Why should we fall prey to "spiritual morons" who see others as a means to an end? I would just wait a little while for the feeding frenzy to end, or I would just call dealership-after-dealership, until I found a dealership on the up-and-up.

cheers,
--Professor Chaos
ProfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 10:55 AM   #10
99SVT3753
Registered User
 
99SVT3753's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beerkat
The last time Ford stuck a truck motor (5.4) in a Mustang they called it the Cobra R.Yes I know that there are some differences between the engine in the GT500 and my Lightning but not that much.

Our local dealer is asking $63,000 and change for a GT500. For $64,000 and change I have my '01 Lightning and my '03 Cobra. Two is better than one.
Agrees!

If I got the new GT500 - I'd order it without the engine or warranty cuz I can build the same engine and still save over $20,000!
__________________
Tim
99 Cobra #3753
SCOA 2043
SVTOA 531376
SCMC 01047
SCT Pro Advantage v3.0 Software User
http://www.f4fbbs.com/SVT
http://www.midweststangs.com/members/99-04/99SVT3753
99SVT3753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:23 PM   #11
flynfink
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 1,014
Send a message via AIM to flynfink
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99SVT3753
Agrees!

If I got the new GT500 - I'd order it without the engine or warranty cuz I can build the same engine and still save over $20,000!
True, but ya better build two motors, cause there's no warranty
__________________
Jeff F.
AKA FlynFink
07' Porscha Cayman S
99' Rio Red Cobra Vert. #203 of 4055
94' Black Cobra Coupe #4971 of 5009

"Drive it like ya stole it"
flynfink is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2017 SCMC, Inc