SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #1
BillHyco

99 Cobra w/ 03 Eaton Supercharger Question!?!?

Working with a 99 Cobra, typical bolt on upgrades, CAI, full exhaust, UDP's, Tri-axx, 4:30 gears, and recent custom tune via Dan the man. Here is my question...I have found a 03 factory cobra supercharger with the blower, plenum, fuel rail and injectors, 90mm mass air, intercooler, all plumbing, T/B, and 2.8 pulley. Outside of a upper intake gasket set, what else am I going to need to install this on my 99??? Well of course other then a lot of patients and wrench tossing. Anybody tried this?? Any pros/cons I should know about? Anyone have a good instructional on something like this!?!?!? I am all ears!!!
BillHyco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #2
blk04cobra1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillHyco
Working with a 99 Cobra, typical bolt on upgrades, CAI, full exhaust, UDP's, Tri-axx, 4:30 gears, and recent custom tune via Dan the man. Here is my question...I have found a 03 factory cobra supercharger with the blower, plenum, fuel rail and injectors, 90mm mass air, intercooler, all plumbing, T/B, and 2.8 pulley. Outside of a upper intake gasket set, what else am I going to need to install this on my 99??? Well of course other then a lot of patients and wrench tossing. Anybody tried this?? Any pros/cons I should know about? Anyone have a good instructional on something like this!?!?!? I am all ears!!!
It's a very difficult conversion to do, but if you have the time and want to put in the effort, by all means. IMO, you'd be better off going single turbo or Vortech/Paxton/Procharger route...we've never done the conversion, but ive been told there's a lot to move around and change out.
blk04cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
BillHyco

so by a lot of conversion, a lot to move and change out, have any examples other then the obvious? Got a great deal on this kit so i think we will take the time to make it work just not sure exactly what all we are getting into. Also, next question is, lets say next year I wanna put a better blower on, say a vortech or whatever we decide with.... how difficult will that be to switch over??

Thanks for the help...much appreciated!

Bill
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 PM   #4
99cobra~

I have a whole bunch of parts like the lower intake / intercooler mounting brackets to move your alternator. and a bunch of other things if you want to buy them.

you need to change your pistons/connecting rods because the compression on the 99 cobra is 9.85:1 and on the 03 its 8.5:1

I was thinking about putting a taller head gasket on mine and trying the swap.
02 Sims
BBK Cold Air

95' 5.0 GT
X-pipe (no cats)
MAC Cold Air
Underdrive pullies
Diablo Sport 2 Chip
99cobra~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #5
BillHyco

I may be interested in buying some misc parts so I will definately contact you if so...thanks.

about the compression, i think that will be just fine, i know the 99 ran a higher compression then the 03 but it should be just fine. i will take all the compression i can get to a point. should be able to get 460rwhp with that blower on a 99 cobra...so we are aiming for.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:49 PM   #6
tcrews

It's much more difficult (and costly) than you would think. A few on the corral have tried, some have succeeded while most gave up. The few that were successful on their first run (dyno) toasted their engines because of the higher compression ratio and lack of forged internals.

You nickel and dime yourself to death and since the roots style blower makes instant boost you really need to lower your compression and forging the engine isn't a bad idea either.

Those who have done it has shown (with parts and labor price breakdowns) that even getting the blower unit for free it still costs more than trading the buying a '99/01 specific blower kit from Vortech, Paxton or KB.....substantially more.
1997 Cobra Coupe #3672, SCMC #82
571 rwHP
462 rwTQ

-------
1998 Cobra Convertible
264 rwHP
268 rwTQ

Tom's SVT Cobra Page
tcrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:22 AM   #7
blk04cobra1

Here's a short list of what you will probably need to buy...
1)upper and lower intakes, along with blower
2)03-04 timing cover
3)relocate alternator and wiring
4)mount heat exchanger and purchase one

i know there's more, just can't think of them off the top of my head...
blk04cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 06:01 PM   #8
99cobra~

I have the upper/lower intakes and intercooler

I have 3 brackets with pullies to move the alternator I believe.

I also have the heat exchanger and the plumbing needed
02 Sims
BBK Cold Air

95' 5.0 GT
X-pipe (no cats)
MAC Cold Air
Underdrive pullies
Diablo Sport 2 Chip
Old 09-25-2006, 06:50 AM   #9
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
a few other things come to mind,

you may need the 03/04 fuel tank and lines since the 99/01 has a returnless fuel system and would not be suitable for feeding a supercharger. Also the fuel sending unit along with the dual fuel pumps (usually comes with the fuel tank?).

Also, after replacing the bottom end with forged internals, you will also have to obtain the proper cams since there is a difference in cam lobes for the supercharger applicaiton. Probably better off replacing the heads and headers with that of an 03/04 since the flow rates and floor design were greatly improved over the 99/01 model year. The Eaton plenum should fit the 99/01 since you can place a 99/01 plenum on an 03/04 motor. Next would be to determine if there is enough hood clearance for the supercharger since the snout does stick out far enough and may interfere with the curved drop in the hood. The 03/04 hood is raised similar to the 2000 cobra R hood when compared to the 99/01 hood which is more flat.

There may be a miss-match in the EGR location an may require a bit of tweeking to make it fit properly.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 06:03 PM   #10
99cobra~

I was also told that I might have to have my computer reprogramed but who knows
02 Sims
BBK Cold Air

95' 5.0 GT
X-pipe (no cats)
MAC Cold Air
Underdrive pullies
Diablo Sport 2 Chip
Old 09-25-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
BillHyco

99cobra...sent ya an email...I think. Very interested in what you have! not a lot of OEM stuff laying out there. Seems most guys just junk it all when they go aftermarket. Get with me some of the details and pricing...thanks!

Billhyco@hotmail.com

Bill
Old 09-25-2006, 09:51 PM   #12
99cobra~

I will do I will call back home and have my uncle send me pics of some of the stuff I have at home.. I brought the brackets and stuff with me to college because I was going to clean them in the parts cleaner.
02 Sims
BBK Cold Air

95' 5.0 GT
X-pipe (no cats)
MAC Cold Air
Underdrive pullies
Diablo Sport 2 Chip