Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Regional Forums > South Central
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2007, 01:15 PM   #1
Levi
Hooked On Track

New York Preview: Mystery Mustang is Shelby KR

Autoblog reported earlier this week that Ford will be debuting a new special edition Mustang this week live on television during the Barrett-Jackson Auction in Palm Beach. The first one in a series of 500 will be auctioned off with proceeds going to the Carroll Shelby Children's Foundation. While we're sure Ford wanted to keep it a secret until the weekend, Car and Driver is reporting that Ford will debut the 2008 Ford Mustang Shelby KR at the New York Auto Show next week, leading us to believe this Shelby special edition will be the one on sale at Barrett-Jackson this weekend.

The original KR dates back to 1968, when a special edition of the '68 GT500 was sold as "King of the Road", complete with a set of extra flared nostrils. The new model, according to C&D, will unfortunately not feature a version of the long awaited "Boss" motor that's slated to become a HEMI-killa in the Ford lineup. Not much else is known about the Mustang Shelby KR, except that it will likely feature a honkin' pair of intakes on the hood. Here's hoping they're functional and not just for show.

While we're happy the mystery Mustang isn't something so expected as a Shelby GT Convertible, which was our guess, we're a little disappointed it's not the Bullitt edition, too.

[Source: Car and Driver]
Old 03-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #2
97CasperCobra
GOT SVT??

Send a message via AIM to 97CasperCobra
500 limited run....probably be about $150-200K at the auction. Hopefully they'll show the whole car, interior and engine at the auction. I wonder if the motor will make an appearance in a future 2009 model...maybe a BOSS???

I'll be sure to set the Tivo to record the auction.
Old 03-29-2007, 04:30 PM   #3
Levi
Hooked On Track

I think Saleen has built the prototype for the Ford 302. The heart of the Parnelli Jones Edition is its Boss 302 engine. Ford wants the Boss label for a future project, so although the 302 appears in oddly familiar script around the vehicle, the word Boss is nowhere to be found. That's ok. We see the similarities. In place of the 4.6-liter SOHC V8 of lesser 'Stangs, the PJ has a true 302. It starts out as a 4.6, but Saleen strokes and bores it to make it a Five-Point-Oh. They also add bigger injectors, ported aluminum heads, performance camshafts, forged-aluminum pistons, forged-steel connecting rods, a forged-steel crank and dual exhausts with *****in' big oval tips. Oh, and that huge Shaker scoop up top.
Old 03-29-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Let me see if I get this straight...Ford is having financial problems and they want to have a limited edition Mustang that will command big dollars? What is the sense in that? The only people making money off those cars are the dealerships, not the company.

I hope they come around and try to go out and sell new cars instead of having limited edition SVT Cobras. (Dubbed Shelbys)

Here's an idea...produce John Coletti's SVT Cobra, sell it for less than a Shelby GT 500, sticker price I might add, and watch all of the buyers line up. The company will then make the money for mass producing them and the dealers can make the money off the trade ins. Everyone wins! Ford gets their sales, dealerships get their used car money, and we get our Cobras. Even still, only make 4000 Shelby's and ask a higher price for them but produce 10,000 Cobras a year and sell them at MSRP!

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
redlinedesire

Send a message via Yahoo to redlinedesire
i wonder if its the same car they keep talking about thats gonna be shown on barrett jackson car auction on saturday. mark fields and carrol shelby suppose to bring a new mustang to the show on sat . i read it at stangnet.
redlinedesire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
97CasperCobra
GOT SVT??

Some pics from another board:

"Launching next spring, the 2008 Ford Shelby GT500KR model features a 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 with a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack that boosts engine output to an estimated 540 horsepower.

Produced in a limited edition of 1,000 units, the Shelby GT500KR coupe comes with a custom carbon composite hood with scoops and stainless steel twist-down hood pins, a lower front air dam with chrome-trimmed functional brake ducts and large 14-inch Brembo front brakes. The suspension has been modified with an emphasis on race-inspired handling.

Drawing inspiration from the classic 1968 KR model, the Shelby GT500KR also features 40 th Anniversary exterior badging, unique striping and a distinctive interior with Carroll Shelby-signature embroidered seats and a 40 th Anniversary numbered dash plaque."

I love it!!!
Old 03-30-2007, 02:34 PM   #7
blue92

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabitn
Let me see if I get this straight...Ford is having financial problems and they want to have a limited edition Mustang that will command big dollars? What is the sense in that? The only people making money off those cars are the dealerships, not the company.
You think that's stupid at the LA auto show a few weeks back Ford unveiled their Italian redesigned Mustang, they gave the designer 500 grand to build it. They supplied him with a 500hp Shelby engine to put in it. It's a fastback that features a solid piece of glass starting from the back of hatchback all the way to the hood (windshield included), and it's painted Lamborghini orange. It's priced to compete with Ferrari.

white 92SHO "da Cracka"
92 rare blue SHO MTX died 7/17/08 to a red light runner.

you guys won't admit it but your all a bunch of fordbastards too
http://www.fordbastards.com/
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:06 PM   #8
cobrabitn

I want to see Ford get back to making millions but they should reevaluate the direction they are going and cut some of the waste. (fat) They should think more about producing better, more fuel efficient, affordable cars so they can get their sales up.

I do think that GT 500 KR looks sweet though!

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 03-31-2007, 07:24 AM   #9
Big Daddy

Send a message via AIM to Big Daddy
Actually if you watch speed chanel tonight and watch the Barret Jackson Auction the first one of these is going up for sale!

Kenny Brown '01 Cobra S
Serial # 01-047C
True Blue Performance Forged Short Block
FR500 Heads & Cams, Fluidyne Radiator
McLeod Clutch and aluminum flywheel
Aluminum Driveshaft, UPR adjustable clutch cable
GT40 Fuel Tank & pumps, Kenne Bell Boost-a-Pump, 60lb injectors,
Vortech T-Trim W/After Cooler, 2.9" RR Pulley
Anderson Power Pipe, Accufab Throttle Body (USELESS IMHO),
MGW Shifter with the blue handle
KB Oil Cooling system, KB Differential Cooler
Autometer Phantom boost and fuel pressure guages
Kenny Brown Aero Kit, Kooks LT Headers
H-Pipe with H-flow cats, Bassani Cat Back
Snow Boost Cooler
T56 Six Speed Tranny
MGW BLING-BLING interior stuff
645RWHP and 558RWTQ
Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2007, 09:33 AM   #10
cobrabitn

We ain't got no Speed Channel. We don't even have cable Internet...just plain ole dial up.

I forgot I was in the South Central Forums.... I better watch my P's and Q's or I'll be Texas mince meat if I step out of line.

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 03-31-2007, 10:18 AM   #11
Admiral
Got Track?

As much as I like a good Shelby stripe or two, I have to go off on a bit of a rant here. This car will sell north of $60K I bet, way too much $$ for too little car IMHO. Sort of like my 06 Mustang GT lol.

2 TONS and 5.4L supercharged = King of what?? King of nose heavy?? I don't get it, why Ford can't go back and make a quick, nimble, LIGHT version of a GT350 type Mustang that has few luxuries, priced reasonably, but PERFORMS well is beyond me. These high HP numbers are great but when the car is a whale it isn't going to outperform the Z06 - maybe even the C5 Z06 which can be had for about $30K these days lol.

Bring me the pushrod Boss 302 please, hold the upgraded interior sound deadening package, the Mach 10gazillion stereo package, and let the pony RUN!!!!!!!
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (race car)
1990 Spec Miata (race car)
1966 289 Cobra (V8 go-kart)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:14 PM   #12
ORANGE CRUSH

They should have put that hood on the GT 500.

2012 Comp Orange BOSS
Mods
Track Key, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow AB, FR-P springs, MM CC plates, FR-relo Brackets, J&M LCA, J&M adj-Panhard bar, MGW shifter
ORANGE CRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:45 PM   #13
Firme
track deprived

I like the looks, they could have done a little better meeting the "KR" description, as Mike said.
~#2743 of 3867 Born on 8/6/01
- Magnaflow Catback, Magnaflow X-pipe, 03 Bilstein Shocks/Struts, MM front Coil-Over kit, MM STB, H&R rear Race Springs, MM IRS bushing, MM upper and lower rear Control arm bushings, Custom SFC. MGW shifter(replaced the p.o.s Tri-Ax), a whole slew of MGW pieces

Founding member of the "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society
Firme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:51 PM   #14
AustinSVT

Send a message via AIM to AustinSVT
The Shelby on barrett jackson was the 1st GT-H Hertz Convertible of 500 that will be following the Coupe GT-H.

The GT500 KR is not exactly a direct Ford offering, it is like the Shelby GT Mustang in that it'll be a GT500 and shipped to Vegas and have the make over for the KR.

Have an SVT in or around the Austin TX area? Check out Austin SVT at www.austinsvt.com
AustinSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 05:53 PM   #15
97CasperCobra
GOT SVT??

couldn't agree with you more Mike!!! The KR could have very well been the next R model had they stipped the interior and options and put that money towards some track modifications!!!