SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > '03-'04 Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-24-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
cobr50

Need some advice on 03 Cobra

Hello everyone, my name is Steve and I am new to your website.
I was hoping that you might be able to help me. After owning many Mustangs over the last 20 years, including a 95 Cobra, I am thinking of buying my first modular stang, a 2003 Cobra. The car is original owner, and all stock, but with 63,000 miles. The owner wants 20,000 for it. Is it a good deal? And what things should I look out for with these Terminators?
Thanks everyone!!
Steve
cobr50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 05:43 PM   #2
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
I think the price is around the right range. Are you sure the car is all stock? Most Cobras take on a little modifications over time, usually exhaust, cold air intake, that type of thing. If it is stock, then you have come across a rare breed, as far as no mods.
Old 01-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #3
red04svtcobra

Make sure it doesn't have the head tick, with 63K it should have already had it if it was going to. As Mike was saying, I think the price is pretty good, although I would try to get it alittle lower. Thats alot of miles for a cobra if it has had a hard life but if very well maintained then should be able to get alot more out of it.
1993 Chevy camaro Z-28 (SOLD)
1970 VW Bug W/ 1776cc (SOLD)
2007 autofair pics http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15621
Drag racing pics: http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...vtcobra/drags/
red04svtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 06:57 PM   #4
mfelice03

If you're serious about buying it, you should take it to a Ford dealer for an inspection. Did you check out E-bay? I've seen some low mile 03 Cobras for decent prices. Also, it's still winter (depending on where you live) so I'd definitely offer less than $20k.

Good luck!

2003 Terminator - 627 hp @ 18 lbs boost, 563 ft-lbs torque.
Kenne Bell 2.6L Supercharger and supporting stuff...

mfelice03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 08:13 PM   #5
cobr50

Thanks guys for your help, I truly appreciate it. After knowing all the ins and outs with the 5.0 mustangs, this should truly be a learning experience for sure.
Thanks again.
Steve
Old 01-24-2008, 08:51 PM   #6
Shane361

If the car is in great shape and has never been abused then sure not a bad price. Keep in mind you can find low mileage Cobras for 2,3,4,5 grand more. Try all the websites like www.SVTPerformance, www.Unitedstangs.com, www.ricekiller.com, www.lonestarstangs.com, www.usamustang.com and the list goes on and on.-Shane

2004 Competition Orange KB Cobra
Shane361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
blueblazes

Send a message via MSN to blueblazes
20k is bit high for that ive seen some 60-80k mile cobras for around 18 on svt performance. I have mine up for sale with 1/2 those miles and whipple and all the supporting mods.

1) I would suggest you have a leak down/compression test performed on it.

2) Check for cage bolting points <behind front seats> Look on bottom side of car for 3-4 bolt holes in small area just behind where seats would be. This will tell you if its had a cage.

3) Check to see if the stock pulley has scars or scratches on back of it, this comes from pulley pullers pulling on the pulley to pull it off. This will tell you if the pulley has been off or not.

4) Also check the rear-end seal on the car to see if its leaking. These cars are notorious for that, every one ive seen has had a leaking gasket.

#1 is the most important on 60k mile cobra imo
blueblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 09:54 PM   #8
FWT0310th

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane361
If the car is in great shape and has never been abused then sure not a bad price. Keep in mind you can find low mileage Cobras for 2,3,4,5 grand more. Try all the websites like www.SVTPerformance, www.Unitedstangs.com, www.ricekiller.com, www.lonestarstangs.com, www.usamustang.com and the list goes on and on.-Shane
20K is not a bad price if the car is in good shape. Depending on where you live, there are probably lots of cobra's for sale within driving distance. If you want a mostly stock Cobra then you know what you are looking for. If you would eventually mod it, it may make sense to buy a modded one. I bought one last year that already had most of what I wanted (let the previous owner pay for the upgrades). Before I bought it, I brought it to a reputable tuner(not a dealer!!) and he checked it out. He found a leak in the rearend, and needed new pads. Seller fixed before sale. If I were you I would pick one up with about 1/2 the miles and pay a little more...but that's me.

Good Luck. These really are great cars and it's easy to make them greater!!

Ported Eaton/Accufab Big oval TB, Plenum/2.8 upper/Big Shot MAF/K&N Intake/Mac Long Tubes,H-pipe, Magnaflow Catback/ KB Boost-a-pump/LFP Dual pass HE & Res.Tank/Subframe Connectors/Irs Brace/Irs Bushings/Steeda Sport Springs/Hurst Short Throw/Rapter shift light/air-fuel and fuel press gauges/The rest is stock/ 505 RWHP/520 Ft-Lbs
FWT0310th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
cobr50

Thanks everyone for taking the time to chime in and help. I really appreciate it.

Steve
Old 01-26-2008, 04:24 AM   #10
JayTee
SCMC Member

COBR50, I want to assume that price is not as important to you as quality. The average mileage for the 03 Cobra is half of what that car has on it. Price aside, you could keep looking and easily find a much lower (average) mile Cobra. Sorry if this is offensive, but holy cow ! 63,000 Miles???
Old 01-26-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
blk04cobra1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee
COBR50, I want to assume that price is not as important to you as quality. The average mileage for the 03 Cobra is half of what that car has on it. Price aside, you could keep looking and easily find a much lower (average) mile Cobra. Sorry if this is offensive, but holy cow ! 63,000 Miles???
Im actually seeing more and more of these popping up lately...we cannot forget that some have had their cars now for nearly 5 years...I know a lot of people do not drive these cars for their daily, but they still put some miles on them...That being said, I think $18k would be closer to the actual value of this particular car...as others have said, you can find some with half the miles for the low-mid 20's...good luck with your search.
blk04cobra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 03:38 PM   #12
cobr50

Thanks guys. After speaking withthe owner again, I found out that this car was hit in the drivers door 2 years ago by a girl running a stop sign, which I didnt know before. Also, the build date on this cobra ws Aug. of 2002, which I assume makes it one of the first produced? I had heard that the computer and cylinder heads are less desireable on this early model? Is this true?

Thanks again
Steve
Old 01-26-2008, 05:03 PM   #13
tazzracing1
SCMC Member

You can have the brain check to make sure the program is updated it should have a sticker on it or labeled as updated, I will have to get the # later. The cyl. head issue is on both years so it don't matter as stated before if it was going to get the tick it would more than likely have it already.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EMflETVOMvM
2003 S/C Cobra(born 6/10/2002 #439 of 8394)
2.93 pulley/Cold air intake
X-pipe with cats/Magnaflowcatback
Strut tower bar and subframe connectors
MGW shifter second to none/best of the best
Billetflow pullies with snub pulley
1997 Cobra(retired)

www.michiganmustang.com
tazzracing1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
cobr50

Hate to bother you guys again, but after making an appointment to see the car this week....which is a 2 hour drive for me, the guy told me that the car has the signature cobra "clunk" when shifting, and that it has had it since new. What is he talking about? He said all 03 cobras to his knowledge have this.
Is this an issue?
Thanks
Steve
Old 01-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #15
RF Cobra

Stock 03/04 shifters are all like that. They shift great but sometimes the clunks can be a little unsettling. It's not anything that hurts performance or reliability though. It's not like when you grind gears or anything that would actually be causing damage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobr50
Hate to bother you guys again, but after making an appointment to see the car this week....which is a 2 hour drive for me, the guy told me that the car has the signature cobra "clunk" when shifting, and that it has had it since new. What is he talking about? He said all 03 cobras to his knowledge have this.
Is this an issue?
Thanks
Steve
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote