Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2008, 11:47 AM   #1
SuperG

An Observation about Mufflers

Mufflers really....

Muffle

don't they?

I finally had the Magnaflow mufflers installed on the '03 and WOW! I can't believe my ears!!

Now I can hear a squeak coming from beneath the car...and I can also now hear that the power steering pump needs replacing!

Cool, huh?
2010 Shelby GT500 - Stock

http://members.cardomain.com/supergr
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 PM   #2
mfelice03

I also have the magnaflows and love the sound. It will definitely grow on you especially as you put that HP to use!

2003 Terminator - 627 hp @ 18 lbs boost, 563 ft-lbs torque.
Kenne Bell 2.6L Supercharger and supporting stuff...

mfelice03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
Gary,
I had issues with my 04, in terms of the steering rack. Actually it was with the rack mounting pins and bolts. I did a temporary mod by installing 1/2" diameter bolts (replaced the factory bolts which were too small and would come loose allowing for the rack to shift from one side to the other when turning the wheel). Recently I removed the mod and installed the factory bolts back in place and took the Cobra to ford to have them check it out. Almost thought the steering rack when bad. They replaced the mounting pin and bolts with updated parts and never had the issue return. I also noticed the EATON was whinning at idle which sounds like a bad steering pump. I relieved the pressure in the gear case on the supercharger which helped stop the noise with the Eaton. At first I thought the bypass valve was getting stuck but that was not the case.

Changing the exaust on the 03/04 Cobra's really wakes up everything. However, I have experiemented with the old 2001 exhaust I had left behind which is slightly louder than the stock 04 catback (the 01 exhaust does not provide as much back pressure as the factory 04). The 01 exhaust gave it that exotic european sound and felt strong on acceleration however was missing that roar that a free flowing exaust provides. With the SLP loudmouth on the car, the engine seems to have more power as well as more sound from the supercharger when compared to a catback that has an increase in back pressure. I have had a few years of track time with the SLP on the car but may try it with the 2001 exhaust to see if there is an improvement or reduction of performance.

Nice wheels by the way.
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #4
SuperG

Thanks Eric! The magnaflows are certainly quiet, but they sure come to life at higher rpm's!

Turns out the PS reservoir was low...I added more fluid and bingo. But I never noticed it before the muffler install!!

Regarding the steering rack, I had to do something similar that you did on my previous car. I might get in there and take a look...
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote