SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-15-2008, 09:59 PM   #1
Jack Hidley

1993 Cobra rear brake questions

Over the years, we have run into a few customers who claim their 1993 Cobra came with different rear brakes than what Ford says were put on the car. Because of this, I'm doing a survey of 1993 Cobra owners to see if I can find any concrete evidence of this. If any of you own or have owned a 1993 Cobra, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer a few questions about the brakes. If you aren't sure about something just leave it blank. My goal is to get the most accurate possible information.

Are the rear brake rotors solid or vented?

Have you ever measured the diameter of the rear brake rotors, and if so, what were they?

If you ever changed the rear brake pads, can you give me the part number for the pads that you used?

If you have ever rebuilt the rear calipers, and happened to measure the diameter of the piston, what was it?

Of the 5,xxx 1993 Cobras built, what number Cobra do you or did you own?

Thanks for your help. I'll compile the results of what I find and post them here in a month or so.
Old 04-15-2008, 10:34 PM   #2
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Jack,

I will post this to the club's "member" mailing list to help you out with your answers as I know of some members that can probably answer this for you.

BTW, It would be nice to see MM out at our VIR event next month. Yes, I know it is a long way from CA but maybe you have some east coast representatives that can come out?

Thanks,

Tony

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 11:15 PM   #3
93KingCobra
I Love SVT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Hidley
Over the years, we have run into a few customers who claim their 1993 Cobra came with different rear brakes than what Ford says were put on the car. Because of this, I'm doing a survey of 1993 Cobra owners to see if I can find any concrete evidence of this. If any of you own or have owned a 1993 Cobra, I'd really appreciate it if you could take a minute or two to answer a few questions about the brakes. If you aren't sure about something just leave it blank. My goal is to get the most accurate possible information.

Are the rear brake rotors solid or vented?

Have you ever measured the diameter of the rear brake rotors, and if so, what were they?

If you ever changed the rear brake pads, can you give me the part number for the pads that you used?

If you have ever rebuilt the rear calipers, and happened to measure the diameter of the piston, what was it?

Of the 5,xxx 1993 Cobras built, what number Cobra do you or did you own?

Thanks for your help. I'll compile the results of what I find and post them here in a month or so.
Sorry I can't help you out but I can give you a web site dedicated to 93 cobras.....http://www.1993cobra.com/
Phil SCMC #1015

1993 Reef Blue Coupe 1 of 243
1993 Cobra Black #4265 of 4993 Born on 6/9/1993 SOLD
2003 Cobra Black #5996 of 8394 Born on 3/14/2003 SOLD
Member: "Texas Demon Hell Snakes who eat small children" secret society

93KingCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:43 AM   #4
Philcsag1
SCMC Member

Think T-Bird Turbo Coupe

The 93 Cobra rear brakes are 100% the same as the 1987 and 1988 Thunderbird Turbo coupe. (for 5000 cars I think it would have been cost prohibited to make a special set of brake)

I have had to replace calipers pads and rotors at Gingerman for a friend a few years back and Auto zone did not have a rear disc listing for 93 Mustang so I told the guy to give me all 88 t bird turbo coupe parts and they were identical

The disc were 10.07 inch vented

and these were the same as the original parts that came off my 93 Cobra # 329
1995 Cobra R #45
2012 Boss 302 LS #699
Philcsag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 08:19 AM   #5
svt2205
SCMC Member

If you go over to svtp and search for rear brakes in the 93 Cobra section. You'll find at least one thread discussing the stock rear brakes on the 93 Cobra. As it turns out some were built with solid rotors and some were vented. This topic was also beaten to death on the old SCOA message board, but the original board is long gone and so are the details.

Other then the differences of vented vs solid, in the past 15 years, I've never heard anything about different calipers.

Good luck with your quest for facts on these cars.

1993 SVT Cobra #2205
svt2205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 12:58 PM   #6
cobrabitn

I would assume the 1993 brakes would be like the 1994 brakes where there is a difference between brake pads and rotors due to solid and vented discs although I thought all GTs had drums on the rear?

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 04-21-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Jack Hidley

Henry,

I've tried doing searchs at SVT Performance for the two weeks. Apparently their search engine is messed up. No matter what I do it returns an error. I started a duplicate thread to this one at SVTP, about the same time.

As you appear to have figured out, I'm trying to determine if the rumor that some 1993 Cobras were produced with solid rear brake rotors and different brake calipers is true or not. To date, in about 5 years of looking, I have yet to find a single person who can show me any evidence of this other than the "I heard it on the internet" type of response.

The only reasonable solid rear discs that could have been used on the car are the 94V6/GT rotors. These are 10.51" x 0.55". They will not work with the 93 Cobra 45mm Varga rear caliper (D347 pad). The pads will fall out once they get 75% work out and the pads would be 1/4" from the edge of the rotor. For these rotors to have been used, the rear caliper must have been the 94+ 38mm Varga model. These will put the pad in the correct location and both calipers share the same standard 97mm bolt center spacing. I haven't looked into the offsets of the calipers and rotors to see if that would have worked without different brake brackets on the housing.

This combination of rear caliper and rotor change would have reduced the rear brake bias by 25%. That's a big change.

Then we have the small detail of bolt patterns. I don't know if Ford made the 94 V6/GT rear disc with a 4-lug bolt pattern for some other application. If they didn't, I seriously doubt that they made a small production run of special rear discs or redrilled the 5-lug discs.
Old 04-21-2008, 09:47 PM   #8
cobrabitn

94 GT rear brakes are five lugs like the 94 Cobra.

Here is what I found out concerning the brake pads. My 94 Pace Car has GT brakes on it, that's right GT brakes. It is a very low number (22) and it came with GT rear brakes.

The calipers are the same but...the pads are not. The vented discs are thicker therefore you have to have a pad with less material on it. I learned this when I was replacing the brakes on my 94 Cobra coupe with the vented discs. They gave me GT pads and they would not go on because the pad material was too thick so I had to go back and replace them with "Cobra" brake pads. I then compared the two pads and the GT had more material on it.

If some 93's did come with solid discs, you will probably have to use 94 GT pads to make them work.

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 04-22-2008, 03:17 PM   #9
asperformance

93 Cobra Brakes

I have owned probabbly 20 93 Cobras, all had Vented rear rotors, I have some off, I can measure them, Unfortunately I have not torn any calipers apart to see what size piston it had in it. I have bought new rotors from Carquest for the Front and rear and both came in Brembo boxes. same compay that made them for ford. If you have any other questions or need some pictures of the Backing plates or anti ratle brackets let me know, I have like 4 sets of 93 Cobra Brakes, they where all 4 Lung, except the 93R which had the same caliper and Brackets, but had a 5 lug Lincoln rotor. So for those of you that thought the rear where 94 Cobra they are not the same, Only thing the same on an R was the Front Rotor, Calipers where different as well. Hope this helped.
asperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 11:56 PM   #10
cobrabitn

So are you saying the rears of the 93 Cobra are definitely not the same as the 94 Cobra?

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
Old 04-23-2008, 12:06 AM   #11
Jack Hidley

Yes, the 93 Cobra and the 94 Cobra do not share any rear brake components. Axles, rotors, calipers, pads are all different.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:21 AM   #12
cobrabitn

1993 Specifications:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraspec93.php

1994 Specifications:

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/2005/svtcobraspec94.php

Mods:

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!