Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2008, 09:51 PM   #1
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
some new pictures of the Cobra

Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 AM   #2
red04svtcobra

Nice Mike, I will be taking a few of mine this weekend if the weather allows. Need to try out the new camera.
1993 Chevy camaro Z-28 (SOLD)
1970 VW Bug W/ 1776cc (SOLD)
2007 autofair pics http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15621
Drag racing pics: http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...vtcobra/drags/
red04svtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM   #3
SVTSnak

Some nice shots there. I really like #3. You did good with the background and composition of that shot.

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Plate: SVTSNAK
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
SVTSnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

yeah, that one is my favorite, as well. Unfortunately, there was a vagrant, in the bushes across the tracks, calling my wife "sweetie" as she was trying to take the pictures. So, we moved on to the parking deck.

Thanks for the compliments. I want to do a night shot in the same location, and try and do a time elapse with a train going by.

something like this, only the Cobra in the foreground. What you are seeing is a through freight(trailer train) streaking by the idle yard engine
Old 07-02-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

the above train picture was Tina's first attempt at a night shot. We did not have her tripod with us, so we used our Ford Escape as a tripod
Old 07-02-2008, 06:24 PM   #6
red04svtcobra

Nice Mike, I am waiting for a storm to roll in so I can try some lightning shots. I wish I could find something like that around here to take a shot at. I will bw trying fireworks this Friday!!
Old 07-02-2008, 08:31 PM   #7
97whitevert
well, maybe....

Send a message via AIM to 97whitevert Send a message via Yahoo to 97whitevert
NIce!!! Very nice! Is the red one Tina's new car?
97 white convertible #99
Born on 1/28/97
03 sonic blue coupe #323
Born on 6/4/02
86 SVO Mustang track beast-
The older brother of the SVT !
99 green BAT
95 laser red F150
06 sonic blue Escape

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -- Mahatma Gandhi
97whitevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 08:55 PM   #8
SVTSnak

NC...I was thinkin' of the same thing with the train, but a day shot. However, the night shot would look great. Just remember to keep your white balance in check so the colors come out right for the car. That'll really make it stand out! But good idea.

I'm actually not sure where the darn rail yards are around here, so I have to do some searchin'. LOL However, it's definitely best to use a tripod and a timer on the camera for that shot. The less shake, the better. You want all the motion blur to be sideways instead of up and down (which happens if you manually press the shutter button). This way only the train moves and not the car. (just tryin' to help)

Chris - Lighting shots would be cool as well. Definitely wanna see those if you get some done. I'd have to wait about 10 years here to get lighting shots (never rains and when it does, it's NOT thunderstorms). LOL

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
Old 07-03-2008, 04:27 AM   #9
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97whitevert
NIce!!! Very nice! Is the red one Tina's new car?
no, not Tina's. A guy on SVTperformance.com requested some help with pictures. So, I offered Tina's skills. I am still working on him joining the club.

SVTSnak, as far as doing a day shot with a train rolling in the background, I want to do that, too. But, what I want, is the streaking of the train going by, I was thinking of a time elapse shot. I don't know how to do that, but I really want to try it. The Ford Escape was stationary when we used it for a tripod.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #10
red04svtcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by nckissfan
no, not Tina's. A guy on SVTperformance.com requested some help with pictures. So, I offered Tina's skills. I am still working on him joining the club.

SVTSnak, as far as doing a day shot with a train rolling in the background, I want to do that, too. But, what I want, is the streaking of the train going by, I was thinking of a time elapse shot. I don't know how to do that, but I really want to try it. The Ford Escape was stationary when we used it for a tripod.
Don't quote me on this Mike but to get the train streaking and everything else sharp you will need a tripod and set the shutter speed slow like 30s or 60s depending on how much streak you want. I will be trying some panning when me and Kevin decide to do some rolling shots on the highway. I am having so much fun with this new camera I can't believe how some of the pics turn out.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:08 AM   #11
97whitevert
well, maybe....

Send a message via AIM to 97whitevert Send a message via Yahoo to 97whitevert
Quote:
Originally Posted by red04svtcobra
Don't quote me on this Mike but to get the train streaking and everything else sharp you will need a tripod and set the shutter speed slow like 30s or 60s depending on how much streak you want. I will be trying some panning when me and Kevin decide to do some rolling shots on the highway. I am having so much fun with this new camera I can't believe how some of the pics turn out.
Yes- If you want the train to appear moving, with everything else still, use a slow shutter speed. Probably can hand hold if use a 60, but any slower than that you would want to use a tripod.

Chris- what camera did you get? I am always on the fence, and everytime I decide, a new model has come out! Maybe I will just go back to my old 35mm
97 white convertible #99
Born on 1/28/97
03 sonic blue coupe #323
Born on 6/4/02
86 SVO Mustang track beast-
The older brother of the SVT !
99 green BAT
95 laser red F150
06 sonic blue Escape

"Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever." -- Mahatma Gandhi
97whitevert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:32 AM   #12
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

I figured it had to do with shutter speed. I am going to get Tina to start playing with that idea. It sounds like fun.
Old 07-03-2008, 03:30 PM   #13
SVTSnak

Yup, depending on how much blur you want, I would run around 1/30th shutter speed. Adjust your aperature to help compensate for the exposure. This way you keep your shutter speed constant. Definitely have it on a tripod for a night shot. Also, you'll have to use a higher ISO...at least 400, if not even 800. There will be grain in the shot, but sometimes you can run it through a "cleaner program" afterwards to help reduce the noise/grain.

Plus, try and adjust your white balance to the lighting that is surrounding the car. Otherwise, most times the picture will turn out more yellow than you want it. You want to try and get the coloring of the car right, more than anything. Try an incandecince (spelling?) white balance setting. It usually works better than AWB (Auto White Balance). That's the one with the little light bulb on it. It should help compensate for the yellow cast done by the lights themselves.

But, also remember, you don't want to go too slow on the shutter speed either otherwise it'll only be a blur and you won't be able to tell what's going by (unless that's your intention, that is). I wish I had some examples that I could post up along with the settings.

Basically play around with it and enjoy it. :-) Also remember, the pics on the back of the camera screen won't look half as good as when they are viewed full rez on the computer monitor...so don't always judge the look of the shot by that screen...trust me on this one.

Hope this helps a bit. :-)

Mat
1996 Black SVT Cobra
SCMC# 1969
Totally Mod-Free
South Bay Photography
Old 07-03-2008, 03:47 PM   #14
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

thanks for the advice. I will try those tips. I think it will be a cool shot, when I get it down.

yes, I never rely on the little screen for much, other than verifying it being centered.

I read a lower ISO was needed, I will try both. I have plenty of time to experiment.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:56 PM   #15
red04svtcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97whitevert
Yes- If you want the train to appear moving, with everything else still, use a slow shutter speed. Probably can hand hold if use a 60, but any slower than that you would want to use a tripod.

Chris- what camera did you get? I am always on the fence, and everytime I decide, a new model has come out! Maybe I will just go back to my old 35mm
Got me a Nikon D80.