SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > General Forums > Pics and Video
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2008, 11:02 PM   #1
red04svtcobra

took some pics of a friends cobra today

Went out and bought a new lens this weekend and decided to do a little photoshoot of Kevin's cobra. This was taken with a Nikon 70-300 VR lens and was not the best lens for the application do to some tight places but I was wanting to try it out. The rolling shot was just to play around with to see what shutter speed will be needed for when we do some shots on the highway!! Also some of the shots are a little darker than others because I was messing with the settings and adding filters to change the exposures, again just playing around. Well here they are hope ya like them.

1993 Chevy camaro Z-28 (SOLD)
1970 VW Bug W/ 1776cc (SOLD)
2007 autofair pics http://www.svtcobraclub.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=15621
Drag racing pics: http://s214.photobucket.com/albums/c...vtcobra/drags/
red04svtcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:18 PM   #2
red04svtcobra

Heres 2 more.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #3
RF Cobra

If you had gone bowling with us today you could have taken pics of several Cobras and a Shelby.

A polarizing filter will get rid of a lot to all of the glare and reflections you are getting on the cars so that you will get the car's color and not the grassy hill etc.

Here's a pic without the filter:

And here is one with the filter.
RF Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
kevinflick03

they turned out great
Steeda 2.8 pulley and idler pulley
Metco 4 lb lower pulley
Ice Box
Autopower 4pt roll bar
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel
Short throw shifter
BBK Long tube headers

[u]2010 Grabber Blue Mustang gt[

kevinflick03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 11:59 PM   #5
red04svtcobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by RF Cobra
If you had gone bowling with us today you could have taken pics of several Cobras and a Shelby.

A polarizing filter will get rid of a lot to all of the glare and reflections you are getting on the cars so that you will get the car's color and not the grassy hill etc.

Here's a pic without the filter on:

Pics didn't show up Allan, must be a redfire thing. J/K As far as the glare, I kinda like when it shows the shininess (is this a word) of the car. Again, I was experimenting with exposures, filters, and everything else. I did use a polarizer filter on most of the shots BTW. Alot had to do with it was taken around 3pm and had to park the car in some shade and out of the direct sunlight. This is a learning experience for me and can only get better . Thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:08 AM   #6
red04svtcobra

Quote:

I see the pics now. I don't really like that to much, makes it look dull I think. #1 looks like the guy took time to wax it and really stands out (pops) and #2 well, its boring. No pop at all.
Anyways, I always try and put the polarizer filter on and/or -0.7 for exposure in sunlight and have had great results.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:14 AM   #7
RF Cobra

Umm they were in the post when I just looked at it and they are also in your reply.

It's not the shininess I was referring to. Being able to get rid of the distracting reflections like the reflection of the grass on the door in the one shot. The reflections tend to detract from what you are doing, which I think looks great and think the reflections are drawing attention away from what you are doing with the shots.

In the shot I took without the filter you can see the reflection of the silver truck parked next to it down the side of the black one, which is distracting. The second shot, with the filter, gets rid of the reflection and being able to see the black paint of the truck looks much better without the reflection of the other truck.

If for some reason you can't see the pictures here you can see them here

Quote:
Originally Posted by red04svtcobra
Pics didn't show up Allan, must be a redfire thing. J/K As far as the glare, I kinda like when it shows the shininess (is this a word) of the car. Again, I was experimenting with exposures, filters, and everything else. I did use a polarizer filter on most of the shots BTW. Alot had to do with it was taken around 3pm and had to park the car in some shade and out of the direct sunlight. This is a learning experience for me and can only get better . Thanks.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:16 AM   #8
kevinflick03

Quote:
Originally Posted by red04svtcobra
I see the pics now. I don't really like that to much, makes it look dull I think. #1 looks like the guy took time to wax it and really stands out (pops) and #2 well, its boring. No pop at all.
Anyways, I always try and put the polarizer filter on and/or -0.7 for exposure in sunlight and have had great results.

i agree, the filter sucks. i like the reflection, but what do i know.
Metco 4 lb lower pulley
Ice Box
Autopower 4pt roll bar
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel
Short throw shifter
BBK Long tube headers

Old 07-13-2008, 12:20 AM   #9
kevinflick03

Quote:

bowling sucks unless it's on the wii.lololol
Metco 4 lb lower pulley
Ice Box
Autopower 4pt roll bar
Spec stage 3 clutch
Fidanza flywheel
Short throw shifter
BBK Long tube headers

Old 07-13-2008, 12:50 AM   #10
RF Cobra

You do lose something in the compression when converting them to jpgs. Not to mention monitor settings affect it as well. On my desktop, which has I can adjust the color setting better, it is glossy black. On the laptop, which has a different video card, it doesn't show up as well. But for the conditions they were taken in, rain and heavy cloud cover, that does influence the overall look as well. In the original shot taken using the Nikon format the paint has a glossier look. Also, had there been better lighting, yes, the black would have had even more of the shininess to it you are referring to. The main idea was to show the effect of the filter and it's ability to remove or tone down elements that can be distracting to the overall shot. This shot was taken with the full effect of the filter as an example of its capability, and it could have been adjusted to allow some reflection without the reflection being overpowering.

In the shots I was referring to (the first two) with the reflection on the door, the filter could have been used to tone down the reflection of the grass so that it didn't overpower the paint on the side of the door to the point that it looks like it was painted on the door like a mural. You could still have the reflection, but it would look more like a reflection on the door. I thought it was a little too strong for the rest of the picture and was a minor distraction in a good shot.

If I wanted to, I could always adjust the picture with the imaging software and you wouldn't even be able to tell that it was taken on a cloudy and rainy day. But I didn't want to do that because we had a great turnout for the GA show this year, and that was in spite of the bad weather conditions. I didn't want anyone looking at the pics and thinking we had good weather and that was why we had a good turnout.

You were shooting during what is probably the hardest time of day to shoot, and still got good pictures. Full sun and shots with full sun and shade in them are tricky, even for the pros.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
RF Cobra

Actually it's pretty funny to watch our SCMC group since we have a mix of a few that have bowled in leagues, and then you have the rest of us that typically only bowl when we do an SCMC bowling event. It can make for a comical event to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinflick03
bowling sucks unless it's on the wii.lololol
Old 07-13-2008, 01:11 AM   #12
RF Cobra

Photography is like any other art form, it's subjective and your personal tastes and what you like will vary from what someone else likes. That doesn't mean you are wrong or that you don't know what you are talking about.

Chris appeared to want other's opinions (or maybe I was wrong about that).

I wasn't saying to completely get rid of the reflections, I think they look great in all but the first two that have the grass on the doors. The filter could have toned down the grass reflections some so that the reflection was more like the reflections in the other shots, more transparent than solid.

My example was originally done to show someone the full effect, and may not be the best example in this case for what I was trying to convey. But it was all I had on hand that I could come up with at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinflick03
i agree, the filter sucks. i like the reflection, but what do i know.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:12 AM   #13
red04svtcobra

Allan no offence taken at all, I appreciate the CC. Are these pics the best, NO. Are they acceptable, YES? I did make one mistake and that was on the circular polarizer I had on. I never turned it, never knew I could until a few hours ago while reading about them. I know the best time to take pics are early am or late evening but, we tried to work around with what we had. Next time I told Kevin we will do it later so we wouldn't have these problems with the sun. But overall I think they turned out fairly good considering the time of day we were working with. Here are a couple pics of my car that same day but at 10am or so. There is a big difference in what the pics will look like at different times of day.

Old 07-13-2008, 10:02 AM   #14
RF Cobra

As long as you see what I was saying. I definitely wasn't trying to offend. Just trying to pass along some of what has been shared with my by those that know a lot more than I do to help take what would otherwise be ok pictures and make them look closer to being on the level of the pros. I'll be the first to tell you that overall my pics still don't always meet those standards in my opinion and I've been doing it over 20 years now.

I agree the one's of yours are much better because you had better lighting due to the time of day and the reflections don't hide the car. Your polarizer can help make the pics taken later in the day look more like the ones you took in the morning as its purpose is to filter out stray light and make the colors of the subject matter more true and vibrant. I wont go into how frustrating it can be for me when I take pictures at our shows and end up having to take them during the worst part of the day on a bright sunny day.

A glossy shine and some reflection can be great, a mirror like reflection that overpowers the car to the point you can't see the car, not so good.

A pro (think it was my father-in-law) once told me that if you make the effort to invest in good equipment, you don't want to end up with results that aren't any better than someone with no experience took with a cheap disposable.
Old 07-13-2008, 10:10 AM   #15
nckissfan
Everyone hates a winner!

Send a message via Yahoo to nckissfan
pictures look real good, Chris! Who is that friend? We never see him out anywhere?