User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-25-2008, 07:49 AM   #1
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
04, issue with front suspension

Here is my problem, when backing up, front suspension makes noises similar to a vehicle with bad ball joints. When moving forward slowly and turning the same thing happens (only on uneven pavement). I looked into the struts for the cause (held my hand on the strut bolt and turned the wheel and could feel vibration in the strut tower. Had my girlfriend turn the wheel when I checked the other side. Almost feels like the strut bearings are loose or bad. Had the car off the ground and every thing is rock solid (no illicit movement of the suspension). My thoughts on this is leading to the steering rack or struts.

Anybody have any suggestions to offer?

Thanks.
Eric
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #2
m571032

Hey Eric,

My car has done that ever since I bought it three years ago. When I bought it the dealer had just put brand new control arms on it and new tires. To this day no one will tell me why but I am sure it was a small effort to fix this. I have put 10,000 miles on this car over a three year period and have inspected the front end several times and never found anything wrong. I am just wondering when you are backing up and it makes the noise can you seem to feel it in your feet up at the fire wall? Please let me know if you figure it out.
Thanks,
Eric
m571032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 11:34 PM   #3
Cobra4me
R&R4ever

Send a message via AIM to Cobra4me
Is the car lowered?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:14 AM   #4
1BAD04Cobra

It maybe the bushings in the rack inpinion mine made that noise to and ford dealer said they had a TSB on it.
1BAD04Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #5
ausie
Don't let the dog drive

Send a message via MSN to ausie
I placed the same post in the suspension forum...

Here are my findings and other information: Car is not lowered, stock ride height and components. The rattle (so called term) can be felt in the floor by my feet when backing up. Worse when the surface the car is moving on is not flat or when turning at relatively slow speed. More recently, I have felt the same moving forward at a slow pace. I had the car in for service for a related issue some time ago ( steering rack mounting bolts were not the correct size allowing the rack to shift back and forth causing a loud creak which was reminant of an old clunker with suspension issues). I corrected the problem with 1/2 inch bolts but that did not cure it for long. Ford replaced the mounting components for the power steering rack which cured the creak (shift of the rack). Since then, the rattle or vibration can be heard and felt in the floor by my feet. In respect to the posts that were made in the suspension forum, I had a hunch that the either the struts or strut bearings may be of concern. I was able to turn the bolt on top of the strut tower (entire shaft moved with it since I was lacking the tool to insert into the strut shaft). Doing this managed to eliminate the problem for a short time and now it is back again. The next time, I will have the tools to attempt to tighten the assembly a bit to see if that corrects the issue. If anything at all, it may be the strut bearing assembly which is causing this to occur. I do know that the chamber may play a role in this issue since the strut will swing in and out when the steering wheel is turning. Also when backing up and making a sharp turn, the tires will tend to skip or drag a bit.

Another issue (may not be related) is when braking. On the back roads that has had too much truck traffic and the asphault has been displaced by the heavy loads the car will fish around when hard braking. Sometimes this will happen on smooth roads too. Almost like driving with a loose or broken tie rod. More so related to the wide tires on all 4 corners (stock size 275/40-17). Tires are BFG KDW's. In comparrison, I have another set of wheels mounted on staggard fitment (8.5x18 and 10x18 rims, tires are toyo T1-R). With the narrow tire up front, the same issue is not noticed except for the vibration issue when backing up. However when stopping or driving slow on back roads, it is the rear end that skates around (due to the wider tires and narrow profile). On smooth pavement, highway or at the track, car is rock solid and precise. Most of this can be linked to the crapy conditioins of PA roadways.

Hopefully this can help others understand my issue and relate to it. My thoughts on this are associated with the struts (upper part that sits in the strut tower refered to as the strut bearing similar to a upper ball joint).
UPR double lock firewall adjuster
UPR GMS extreme double hook quadrant
Wheels: Ford SVT 10th anniv. wheels (track duty)
SVE 10th anniv. style 17x9F, 10x10.5R
BBS RK Plasma 18x8.5F, 18x10R (retired)

(retired) 2001 black SVT Cobra, October 2001
missed but not forgotten
ausie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:38 AM   #6
SuperG

Can the tranny mount be loose? In my old car, since reverse acts on the engine differently, I could detect odd noises and sure enough, the tranny mounting bracket had a crack in it! Replaced it and presto...no more weird noises.
2010 Shelby GT500 - Stock

http://members.cardomain.com/supergr
SuperG is offline   Reply With Quote