Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-07-2008, 04:06 PM   #1
8paws1snk
8paws1snk

Track event upgrade questions

Looking for input on what mods provide the maximum bang for the buck in terms of added HP, suspension and braking, with the goal to attend future track events in my ’01 ‘Vert, currently stock except for a K&N Cold Air kit, 40k original miles. Tires are BF Goodrich G-Force on the optional factory chrome SVT rims. This is not a daily driver although do wish to maintain a comfortable road ride. Specific upgrades under consideration are:

Cold Air kit – installed>>

4:10 rear – to be installed>>

4-Point bolt-in roll bar (verified with VIR this is acceptable) >>

Sub-Frame connectors (welded) – do they help?>>

Magnaflow Catback system>>

Springs – not looking to drop the car more than 1” front, Ύ” rear, just personnel preference>>

Struts/Shocks – worth a change or will OEM work for now, or?>>

> >

Tires – what is the protocol for running street tires, okay or to be avoided at all costs?

> >

Ideally include an estimated cost for any suggested mod to put everything in perspective. Thanks.>>
Old 09-07-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
Lumpydogs

Depends what you are planning to do with your cobra.

If you are preparing for racetrack events, seat time is tops, tires next then aggressive brake pads. HP is the least of your priorities.

I know don't know dink about dragstrips, sorry.

www.lumpydogmotorsports.com
Lumpydogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 04:03 PM   #3
brkntrxn

My answers are assuming you are talking about Open Tracking:

- Horsepower upgrades are not needed. I open track our 01 whenever the 99 is broken (way too often this year) and I am rarely ever left with the thought "I need more power". The faster you are in the turns, the less horsepower you need in the straights.

- Street tires for the first 3-5 open track events is highly encouraged and almost mandator with some groups. Street tires give a LOT of feedback before they ever let loose and you will be able to learn the threshold much easier. Sticky tires will hide any mistakes you make in the beginning. You need to learn how to drive first and the best way to do it is on street rubber. I run BFG KDs on our 01 vert and ran them for years on the 99.

- I wouldn't buy suspension parts until you have at least 3 or more events under your belt. Whenever I get back in our bone stock 01 (K&N, Centerforce clutch and Magnaflow catback), I still have a blast and still learn something every time I take it out. In fact, I would say that I learn more and have more fun with that car that the fully capable and fully modified 99.

- Install the gears if you have them, absolutely install the roll bar as it is mandatory with most groups (make sure you install it correctly and get proper SFI padding for the track) and install the full length subframes if they are not already in (and yes, that is your best bang for the buck mod on a convertible - I need them on mine but all our money goes in the 99).

- Brakes... for the first event, I suggest simply flushing your brake fluid with new synthetic (you will need to do this before any event) and using your stock pads as long as you have more than a 1/3 of a pad. After that, you can upgrade your pads to a better compound. Carbotech makes great compounds (I use XP10s on the front and XP8s on the rear of the 99). Hawk, Performance Friction and EBC all make good pads as well.

- Brake cooling ducts... not long after you put on upgraded pads, you need to consider getting cooling ducts for the fronts. Our cars are heavy pigs and stopping them puts a lot of heat in the pad and rotor. I know a guy that makes kits on the side, so when you progress to that point, let me know.

- Rotors... don't get caught up in needing cross-drilled and slotted rotors. Brembo OEM replacement blanks are all you need . Tire Rack usually has pretty good prices. Again, you won't need these until you get into having track compound pads. You usually need to marry a track pad to a rotor as different pad compounds are sometimes not compatible.

In the beginning, you are going to be learning the track layout, braking zones, turn in point, apex, track out point, acceleration zones, etc. You will be concentrating on that stuff so much, that your car will have more potential that you in the beginning. Only upgrade a part when you have a demonstrated need for it to improve your driving or a specific area (braking, cornering and lastly acceleration).

Hope this helps... and saves you a few dollars along the way.

If you are talking about drag racing:

Put the roll bar in it, slap some drag radials on it, pull the front sway bar, 1/2 tank of gas, lower the rears to 18psi, up the fronts to 40psi, burn the tires and launch at 4000rpm while slipping the clutch. If it wheel hops, let off. Speed shift by using the clutch and shifting as fast as possible at 6700 rpms, without lifting the gas. You gotta be good not to break parts, but you will get a good time.
Old 09-19-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
Philcsag1
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8paws1snk
Looking for input on what mods provide the maximum bang for the buck in terms of added HP, suspension and braking, with the goal to attend future track events in my ’01 ‘Vert, currently stock except for a K&N Cold Air kit, 40k original miles. Tires are BF Goodrich G-Force on the optional factory chrome SVT rims. This is not a daily driver although do wish to maintain a comfortable road ride. Specific upgrades under consideration are:

Cold Air kit – installed>>

4:10 rear – to be installed>>Not necessary

4-Point bolt-in roll bar (verified with VIR this is acceptable) >> Plus 5 or 6 point harness Hans Device and SA 2005 helmet are mandatory

Sub-Frame connectors (welded) – do they help?>>Not necessary

Magnaflow Catback system>>Not necessary

Springs – not looking to drop the car more than 1” front, Ύ” rear, just personnel preference>> Install H&R Super Race Springs

Struts/Shocks – worth a change or will OEM work for now, or?>>Koni Yellow SA

> >

Tires – what is the protocol for running street tires, okay or to be avoided at all costs?
Kumho MX and Hawk HP Plus brake pads & S/S braided brake lines, never run tires more then 3 years old

> >

Ideally include an estimated cost for any suggested mod to put everything in perspective. Thanks.>>
Spend lots of money on seat time not the car
1995 Cobra R #45
2012 Boss 302 LS #699
Philcsag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 08:57 PM   #5
puzzle13
SCMC Member

Yes, don't start doing mods until you really know what you want to do. I started with my 03 vert and replaced the springs, subframes, rollbar, and some more power. Just about everything has been changed since then with extra money spent. You must have the roll bar, so that has to be done prior to your first event. 5 or 6 pt harnesses & a Hans device is not mandatory, but safety is key. You are only required to go to these when much more advanced or going into time trials.

Do at least 2 events on stock tires, suspension, and brakes. There is no need for more to begin with. The subframes are a big big plus on a convertible even for street driving and I highly recommend them. The gears in the back are great for lower horsepower cars, but you will run out of gear on any track with any length. I have run into many with 4.10's in the rear and if the straight has any length (even VIR south) you will run out of gear in 4th.

After you have some track time under your belt, and you know that you want to do a lot more of this and go even faster, then seat time, suspension, brakes, and tires are the first things to go with. Lots of slow cars go really fast through the turns and eat up much faster cars. A Taurus gave us all hell in Texas last year and that car was slow! The driver was good and knew how to drive his car. Remember ... when you add track tires, track brakes, and better suspension you will be putting a lot more stress on your car. If you change the suspension, look into MM coil overs with matching shocks & struts. Much better than just spring changes. But remember ... you can spend a lot of money going faster.

Seat time is key!!! Spend money on driving and then proceed with care. There might just be a bottomless pit in weekend track events!

Most of all have fun!
puzzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote