Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > '03-'04 Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 05:04 PM   #1
puzzle13
SCMC Member

Electric Fan replacement

Has anybody with a Terminator replaced their stock fan with an aftermarket or alternative? My fan went out last weekend while running at VIR and now I am looking to replace. Anybody used a Flex-A-Lite? Just curious as I have heard that the stock fans are quite whimpy. Also, does anybody know what the resistance unit that is wired into the fan loop is for.

Thanks
puzzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 08:30 PM   #2
03graysvt
SCMC Member

Send a message via AIM to 03graysvt
fan

i just replaced my fan about 2 months ago when i got my car back ive got a DSG 03 with 65,000 i had the head tick issue and the fan went out when my car was in the shop im not sure what that resistor is for but i can ask my mechanic and see if he know
03graysvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:19 PM   #3
cfradam

stay away from flex-a-lite unless you like an under hood BBQ. if you want to upgrade, a Mark VIII fan is a good choice. I think there is some wiring needed but nothing that some basic skills cant handle
cfradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:17 PM   #4
puzzle13
SCMC Member

Well, I found out what the resistor was for ... it lowers the amperage/voltage to run the fan at a lower speed, hence the 2 speed fan. I looked into the Mark VII fan as I was told it pulled a ton of air, but was warned of electrical problems as the Lincoln electronics run at a much higher amperage than the Ford stuff. I was informed that fan can pull up to 70 amps at times and the fuse running the stock fan is only a 50 amp fuse. In the end I installed a Flex-A-Lite Black Magic universal fan and wired it directly to the stock system. Works great so far, even withstanding a lapping day at VIR full course with speeds up to 145 mph on the back straight. Now the test will be the track in May through September!
puzzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote