SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2009, 06:00 PM   #1
Z_Drifter_87

Alright. Big Question on Cooling System.

First of all, I have a 97 Cobra Convertible. I drive for a while and the water temp likes to stay on the M in NORMAL while i'm driving 45mph plus. when i'm at idle, it gets on the A in NORMAL. Now i already flushed out the system and removed the thermostat and running two gallons of antifreeze and the rest water. Now i dont know if there is air in the system and not finding the bleed valve or something or if my water pump is going out. Now it it helps, when i remove the cap from the resovoir, there is alot of pressure let out When the car is cold. So any help??? Thanks
Z_Drifter_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 03:45 AM   #2
ca01cobra

It sounds like there may be air in the cooling system. On my '01, the water temp sending unit is located in the coolant pipe assembly on top of the motor, near the alternator. I would think the air would accumulate near the top of the closed system, and that may lead to higher temper readings.

Probably best to put a new thermostat back in and refill everything. Then run the car through a few heat cycles, and check the water level each time when the motor is cold. Also, run the heater as well, maybe some air is trapped in the heater core. The cooling system may need to 'burp' out the air.
ca01cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 10:35 AM   #3
Larry95
SCMC Member

I have some experience on the '94/'95s with temp gauge issues. Don't know if the later models are the same. First the FCM (fan control module) could be the problem. It controls the two speed fan, and if it doesn't go into high speed then you can have the problem like you have. Also, the factory temp gauge is next to useless. It is not accurate at all. I had a GT that stayed on the high side of the normal and after replacing the gauge it never left the low side ever again.

'95 Red Coupe #684/4005 (going back to stock)
'95 White Coupe (track car)(378 rwhp, 394 rwtq)
'03 Red Annv Convt #711/2003 (SOLD)
'12 Boss 302 LS
'13 King Ranch EcoBoost F-150 (Eloisa's ride)
'13 King Ranch 6.7L F-250 (daily driver & tow vehicle)
Larry95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 01:32 PM   #4
pacificgreensvt

Take the plug out of your coolant cross over tube, let it run for a while, let it get hot, its that easy, it should burp its self, Your owners manual should have the step by step directions. One time I left the plug out over night & the bubble worked its way to the top on its own. OR you could have a bad switch are your fans comming on?
v1 s/trim, GT/impeller,longtubes,4:30's.424hp/412tq,race fuel & street tune by Alternative.
pacificgreensvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
VenomSVT

I would definately check the crossover tube and make sure it is full. If it is empty (air bubble) the coolant system will not circulate.

2000 BMW 540i M sport package
VenomSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Z_Drifter_87

ok

Well thanks for all your advice. As far as the fans turning on, yes but only the high speed because i had to bypass it with a relay cause i think the controller went out. also as far as the crossover tube, on the plug, the fitting fo the 1/4 in drive is stripped and is very hard for me to take off. i have to use a monkey wrench. i've tried to go to the dealer and order it but they said that they dont make them anymore, "discontinued" was the word, just my luck. So i'll try the burp thing and new thermostat thing. thanks. will update when i'm done. thanks again
Old 01-28-2009, 07:01 PM   #7
VenomSVT

Expensive but here's where you can buy a plug for the crossover tube.

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...0%201&comp=LRS

2000 BMW 540i M sport package
VenomSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
brkntrxn

Just use a pipe plug. You don't have to replace it with the stock big, flat top looking plug.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #9
puzzle13
SCMC Member

You can buy a very nice plug at most high performance parts places and they even come in colors. Won't be the exact same, but all you need is the same threading. Once you get this open, use a funnel turned into the crossover opening with some water in it. You need to run the engine until the thermostat opens and then as it runs the bubbles will come out. Keep some water in the funnel at all times! When you open the crossover tube it will be empty! Usually these years are very easy to do ... the 03 & 04's are really a lot harder. Using distilled water instead of tap water will also lower the temps a few degrees!
puzzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:59 AM   #10
brkntrxn

Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzle13
You can buy a very nice plug at most high performance parts places and they even come in colors. Won't be the exact same, but all you need is the same threading. Once you get this open, use a funnel turned into the crossover opening with some water in it. You need to run the engine until the thermostat opens and then as it runs the bubbles will come out. Keep some water in the funnel at all times! When you open the crossover tube it will be empty! Usually these years are very easy to do ... the 03 & 04's are really a lot harder. Using distilled water instead of tap water will also lower the temps a few degrees!
Yep, I generally drive the front tires up on a couple of boards or I jack up the front end. That will ensure that the crossover pipe is the highest point in the system. In addition to what Michael said, fill the system via the overflow/degass bottle until it is half full. Then close that off and continue filling the system from the crossover plug. Once full, run the engine with the heater on until up to operating temp. Let it cool, fill it again and heat cycle it again. Cap it off, run it for a day and check it again. You will be amazed at the air bubbles that will sometimes be found in the DOHC cooling system.

I run distilled water, water wetter and just enough antifreeze to make me comfortable that it won't freeze.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Z_Drifter_87

Yup

Thanks guys, problem solved. There was some air in the system and needed a new radiator cap. Thanks alot.