Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-08-2009, 07:19 PM   #1
WhiteSnake01
SCMC Member

New brake rotors?

I purchased four new brake rotors and when I tried to install the rear rotors I could not compress the brake piston in far enough no mater what I tried.
Is the answer as simple as getting the new rotors cut? Or am I missing
something?
Thanks,
Mike

2001 Oxford White SVT Cobra Coupe
JLT CAI, 3:73 Gears, Pro 5.0 Shifter, H & R Sport Springs, Maximum Motorsports Caster/Camber Plates, KOOKs Long Tube Headers & Catted X-Pipe, Magnaflow Cat Back, KONI Sport Adjustable Shocks & Struts, Russell Brake Line Kit, 03/04 Terminator Engine Upgrade, McLeod Super Street Pro Clutch Kit, McLeod Flywheel, 485hp, Custom Tuned and Built by ProDyno

2013 F-150 4X4 SUPERCREW SVT RAPTOR
Tuxedo Black Metallic
Black Interior w/Blue Accent Seat

WhiteSnake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:53 PM   #2
9Cobra9

Send a message via AIM to 9Cobra9
if you was able to get the caliper off most brake calipers on back the piston turns in a certian direction to get compressed back i cant quite remember but if it is like this then you have to turn it one way maybe this will help m,aybe you can get more replies on this good luck

SOLD: 99 Ultra White Cobra

03-04 cobra front bumper, 2 chamber Flowmasters, Mac H-pipe, 3 1/2 stainless tips, JLT CAI, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, stainless cobra pedals, cobra floor mats, Pro 5.0 Short Throw Shifter, FRPP Aluminum Driveshaft, FRPP 3:73 Gears, Pro Dyno Tune 312RWHP 316RWTQ
9Cobra9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
cfradam

I cant remember right now if the 99 cobra got the rear vented rotors or the solid GT rotors. you need to make sure of the parts you have. the vented cobrs rotors are wider and you will need to make sure you have the right pads. the GT pads have more meat than the cobra pads.
rotors different thicknesses:
GT non vented rotors = thinner
cobra vented rotors = thicker
the pads are different thicknesses:
GT = .665" thickness
cobra = .585" thickness

sometimes parts counters dont pay to much attention to the things that really matter, so make sure of what you were given

Adam
cfradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
puzzle13
SCMC Member

You need a special brake tool that you can use to turn the pistons back in so you can put the new pads on. Turn to the right to turn them in. It does take some work. Make sure you pay attention to the direction and placement of the tits that line up to allow the installation. You will understand when you look for them. Usually close to straight up and down. The tool I have is a square multi-vehicle brake tool that looks like a die with different peg patterns for different types of brakes. You can get one at any parts store for less than $20.00, but you can't do back brakes without one.
puzzle13 is offline   Reply With Quote