SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM   #1
Z_Drifter_87

Overheating problem

Alright, I've had my radiator cleaned cause it was clogged. A new 160 thermostat. and new hoses. The car seems to heat up to about 200 degrees. The gauge marks on top of the "L" on "NORMAL". And there is alot of pressure on the upper radiator hose on the resovoir. Now a mechanic is tellin me that its a head gasket. Is that true??? I really need some help here. I would greatly appreciate it. And by the way, I have a 1997 Cobra. Thnx for the help and replies.
Z_Drifter_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
If you have air bubbles coming to the top of your coolant level in your radiator then you may have a blown gasket. Remove the radiator cap and see if air bubbles come up to the top.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2013 Race Red Boss 302 Coupe - track car!

No mods yet!

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Boss 302 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 10:53 PM   #3
Philcsag1
SCMC Member

you need to bleed all the air out of the system to get it to properly cool

You need to remove the plug in the crossover tube while filling the engine with coolant.

the engine will come upt to 227 degrees then the fan will turn on

the fact that you put a160 thermostate in will not change that.

Phil
1995 Cobra R #45
2012 Boss 302 LS #699
Philcsag1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #4
Z_Drifter_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philcsag1
you need to bleed all the air out of the system to get it to properly cool

You need to remove the plug in the crossover tube while filling the engine with coolant.

the engine will come upt to 227 degrees then the fan will turn on

the fact that you put a160 thermostate in will not change that.

Phil
Ok, so normal operating temp is around 220? Would you recommend that i go with a higher temp thermostat? Also would i remove the plug in the crossover tube while its on and add water through there or the resovoir??
Old 03-03-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
Z_Drifter_87

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrabitn
If you have air bubbles coming to the top of your coolant level in your radiator then you may have a blown gasket. Remove the radiator cap and see if air bubbles come up to the top.
Now would the bubbles be coming out where the plug for the crossover tube is is, or where the resovoir cap is?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
Z_Drifter_87

Hey

So let me ask you all another question, Are my sensors for the temp sensor and temp sender out since my gauge is marking really hot??
Old 03-03-2009, 03:45 PM   #7
cfradam

I would recommend that you go with the stock thermostat. the 160 is most likely not allowing the rad to do its job efficiently enough if it doesn't stop the flow long enough to cool properly.

the cross over tube is just to let trapped air out of the system, and not to fill. if you let the air out a few times over a couple of heat cycles, you should not see anymore. if you do continue to see bubbles from either the cross over or the reservoir then you might have a head gasket problem

the idiot gauges that Ford put in these cars is very inaccurate. you may want to find someone that has another mechanical temp gauge you can hook up to get an accurate reading and go from there. a hot garage wont cause any gauge problems since its reading the water and not the ambient air.
cfradam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:21 PM   #8
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

The thermostat probably isn't helping or hurting you but it will make the engine run better if you put a stock 192 back in it.
We've had this discussion many times with these cars. Unless the car is spewing coolant, IT'S NOT OVERHEATING.
What makes you think it is overheating? A stupid Ford gauge pointing to L means nothing. Pressure in the radiator hose? That's normal. First step is to get a real aftermarket gauge. Find a gauge pod you like. Analog or digital...doesn't matter. Mechanical or electric...doesn't matter. Just get a good gauge. I used the crossover tube plug/fitting and recommend it. In case you haven't heard, the oil pressure gauge doesn't actually do anything either.
Jimmy Bost #00539
American Iron #16 Ford Mustang Cobra
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 02:08 AM   #9
Z_Drifter_87

Well...

All of the posts that everyone has responded with really help me alot. I just had one more question. What is the temperature supposed to continually be at? Especially on a normal day, like down here in the valley, it reaches the high 80's and low 90's. Should it be at around 220?? I didnt use a mechanical gauge, but i have this laser gun that is very accurate and it seems to stay between 190 and 205 degrees. Is that normal or is that hot??
Old 03-04-2009, 07:21 AM   #10
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

220 is starting to get hot but again, unless it is spewing out coolant or not running right, it's NOT OVERHEATING. With a 192 thermostat, the temp should stay above 192. That's it's job. 195-205 is perfectly normal. 220 is still not too hot but I would say 230 is pushing it. I think the the high speed on the fan doesn't even come on until 230. When I first started road racing, my coolant temp would slowly creep up during the session. After about 5 or 6 laps, the temp would go past 230 and then I would slow down and let it cool for a lap. I've seen temps around 240 on track and still not had it spew coolant or act up. But that's definitely too hot.
Also, your laser temp gauge isn't the most accurate gauge either. Sure it is accurate at measuring surface temps but you don't know what the temp is on the inside.
Cover all the basics first:
1. Get a real gauge.
2. Make sure everything on the car is working properly (two speed fan, no leaks, flush the system, right coolant/water mix, add water wetter, etc)
3. Then think about mods to fix things (bigger radiator, manual fan switch, etc)
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 03-06-2009, 04:40 AM   #11
Z_Drifter_87

Alright

Well i bought a new autometer water temp gauge and it shows that it doesnt go over 180. So i think everything is fine. I'll keep everyone posted. Thanks alllloootttttt!!!
Old 03-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #12
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

Glad to see she's running cool. Let's see what happens after the spring and summer temps roll in and you start crankin the AC. Even my car runs cool in the winter (and I have no cooling fan).

Not sure if you care about emissions or fuel economy but, in general, these things will run better if the engine is up to operating temperature (192). That's why they put the 192 thermostat in there.
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 03-12-2009, 04:12 PM   #13
Mr. Snake Car

I'm sorry, but it's an SVT Cobra, not a Geo Metro. It's not a bad guage. I question the need for an aftermarket anything on a Cobra for proper function!!

Your gauges are fine. Please fill and burp the water skirt through the plug in the crossover tube in front of the engine as stated above or via the maintenance manual. This will fill the overflow tank (no idea) and ensure the system has all the fluid it needs. Do not (can't) fill the system through the overflow tank.. Use coolant as it raiss the boiling point of water and fill thus reduce the pressure on the system. Anything beyond that would require specific symptoms.
Blown head asket could manifest as air or oil in the coolant.

side note...160 is kinda cool...engines like the heat! 190 is fine and below the boiling point of water (212) which is increased by the radiator cap and the coolant!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra
The thermostat probably isn't helping or hurting you but it will make the engine run better if you put a stock 192 back in it.
We've had this discussion many times with these cars. Unless the car is spewing coolant, IT'S NOT OVERHEATING.
What makes you think it is overheating? A stupid Ford gauge pointing to L means nothing. Pressure in the radiator hose? That's normal. First step is to get a real aftermarket gauge. Find a gauge pod you like. Analog or digital...doesn't matter. Mechanical or electric...doesn't matter. Just get a good gauge. I used the crossover tube plug/fitting and recommend it. In case you haven't heard, the oil pressure gauge doesn't actually do anything either.
Mr. Snake Car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 PM   #14
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Snake Car
I'm sorry, but it's an SVT Cobra, not a Geo Metro. It's not a bad guage. I question the need for an aftermarket anything on a Cobra for proper function!!

Your gauges are fine. Please fill and burp the water skirt through the plug in the crossover tube in front of the engine as stated above or via the maintenance manual. This will fill the overflow tank (no idea) and ensure the system has all the fluid it needs. Do not (can't) fill the system through the overflow tank.. Use coolant as it raiss the boiling point of water and fill thus reduce the pressure on the system. Anything beyond that would require specific symptoms.
Blown head asket could manifest as air or oil in the coolant.

side note...160 is kinda cool...engines like the heat! 190 is fine and below the boiling point of water (212) which is increased by the radiator cap and the coolant!
I guess this all depends on how you define "proper function".
I'm not sure how much experience you have with these cars, but the gauges ARE a known problem.
1. The oil pressure gauge is connected to a switch. When the oil pressure goes above 6 psi, yes, that's SIX psi, the gauge pops up to normal and stays there. That is NOT how a gauge is supposed to work. Years ago, customers complained about the gauges moving around too much so Ford turned the OP gauge into a fancy idiot light.
2. These cars are known for running hot and overheating, especially the 96s. There was a TSB on fixing them. The water temp gauge has a range that says " N O R M A L " on it. There have been tons of threads on the internet over the last 12 plus years about these 4.6 DOHCs running hot. Do you know the water temp when the gauge needle points at N? How about R? How about L? I do, because I have a real gauge with real numbers (not to mention the digital gauge as a backup). If you actually want to know what the water/coolant temp is in the engine, you need a real gauge with real numbers on it.

As for "normal" water temp? Here's a few tidbits.
1.The factory thermostat is set to open at 192. That means the thermostat keeps the radiator from cooling the water until the temp reaches 192.
2.The electric fan has two modes-high and low. High speed isn't activated until the AC is turned on OR until the water temp reaches 230.
That tells me that "NORMAL" water temp would be roughly from 192 to 230 degrees. Most people know that 230 is too hot. I'd agree with that. I have had my water temp go well over 230 and not boil over. But I've had my share of boil overs, too.

No, the Cobra is not a Geo Metro. But it isn't perfect either.
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 03-13-2009, 10:23 AM   #15
Mr. Snake Car

I see your point! I, of course, was speaking in general terms meaning that R was operating temp and anything over that would be of increasing concern.

I recently (last week) boiled my coolant spinning my tires in the snow. I got stuck got IN MY PARKING LOT of all places after trying to get to work...I wonder what the temp was there..if I recall (I was so freaked my the smoke and smell that my wits were actually somewhere outside my head) the needle was over the L about at the first thin red hash.

In the past, I have noticed the needle on my guage creep to L with a new thermostat and have susupected old radiator. It's not right to have poorly functioning cooling systems after the SVT did such a nice job with the engine.
Mr. Snake Car is offline   Reply With Quote