Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2009, 12:08 PM   #1
dougstang

Location: Rock'n'Roll motorhead shack on the Muddy Mississippi
Road noise

My 97 has the worst road noise. If my kid is in the back seat, I can't even hear him talk to me. And if a good song is on I have to turn it up to enjoy.
I think Ford got cheap, with not much sound proofing in the trunk and wheel wells.
What you all think.
dougstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:49 PM   #2
ProfChaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougstang
My 97 has the worst road noise. If my kid is in the back seat, I can't even hear him talk to me. And if a good song is on I have to turn it up to enjoy.
I think Ford got cheap, with not much sound proofing in the trunk and wheel wells.
What you all think.

If you are close to a local car and home Pro Audio sales office/installation facility, you can buy Foam Egg-Crate soundproofing slabs by the sheet. A year-and-a-half ago, I paid roughly $20 per slab for 2.5-inch-thick egg crate material at Sensuous Sound Systems in Tampa, FL. I filled my trunk with three layers of this foam, and it reduced considerably the road noise of my custom exhaust ringing off of the titanium/composite metal plate under the foam of the rear bumper, and it reduced as well the tire noise humming up through the rear fender wells.

There is also a lead-lined thin foam material that comes in either heat-activated ultra-thin stick-on foam (best for door interiors and the floor under the carpet) or 1/2-inch-thick press-in-place-and-mold-to-form lead-lined foam that is ideal for areas under and immediately behind the rear seats and under-and-around the mini-spare and trunk floor, under the trunk carpet.

Lead-lined soundproofing material is getting hard to find, and it is very expensive and even a little hazardous to install. Thus, you would want to explore your options carefully before making that kind of financial commitment to soundproofing your Cobra.

Lastly, if you happen to be running an off-road X-pipe on your car's exhaust, the least expensive way of eliminating road noise would be to get a Bassani High-Flow Catted X-Pipe. After removing the off-road X-pipe and installing the Bassani catted X-pipe, I noticed that the Db-level of the car dropped considerably while the sheer character of the exhaust note improved as well. I can now listen to the stereo with little only a little noise interference between roughly 50-60 mph in 5th gear.

cheers,

--Professor Chaos
ProfChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
dougstang

Thanks Chaos, Glad to hear there's another motorhead sick of listening to the road noise.
I'll give your idea's a go! Thanx.....
Old 04-15-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
kng9nothing

profchaos is on the money! another route you might want to take is dynamat. It is used to dampen noise from subwoofers with car audio installation...however, it isn't cheap!
1997 Cobra #3704/6961
Rio Red w/Saddle Cloth Interior
MGW Shifter
Steeda quadrant & firewall adjuster
kng9nothing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
dougstang

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by kng9nothing
profchaos is on the money! another route you might want to take is dynamat. It is used to dampen noise from subwoofers with car audio installation...however, it isn't cheap!

I checked on the Dynamat price.......
It's big bucks, but it's supposed to be very good stuff.

Thanks for the reply!