SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Pick your poison > Autocross/Open Track /OTC updates
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-05-2009, 11:12 AM   #1
Admiral
Got Track?

NASA Time Trials

Anyone out there going to do NASA TT next year? I'm going to enter my 1995 Cobra in TTE (might be TTD by the time I add up all the goodies on the car) to have some fun, all I need to do is add a transponder. It looks like a fun way to compete on track without having to add a roll cage or other safety items to the car.

www.nasa-tt.com for those who may not have heard of it!
2003 Mustang Mach 1 (race car)
1990 Spec Miata (race car)
1966 289 Cobra (V8 go-kart)
Admiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:59 PM   #2
snakbitn
SCMC Member

I just got back from RA today to end the season.This was my first year in TT and had a blast.I run in TTB with a 98 cobra.I've won four of the event's this year and placed second in season point's.I missed one to many event's to take home first place but at least I lost to another mustang.You will have a great time in TT.I will be running it again next year also.
snakbitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 07:34 AM   #3
Admiral
Got Track?

Wow, TTB? That must be one modded track car! I'd love to drive RA once before they throw dirt on me, track looks like fun from the videos I've seen.

I'm hoping to be in TTE if I can keep my points down. If not I'll end up in TTD as the car sits now with plenty of points to spare. Looking at our season points in Texas there are not any other TTD cars so it might be a year of "test and tune" for me.
Old 12-07-2009, 08:39 PM   #4
snakbitn
SCMC Member

Car is gutted down to 3100 pds right now but is going on another diet this winter along with afew other small change's and has 290rwhp with 900lbs springs in front and 250's in rear with full roll cage.Best lap at RA this weekend was a 1.41.I think I can pull in some 1.38's with more driving skill but that will come later I hope.I love the track, that was my 3rd time there and can't wait to go back in March. Had alot of fun in TT this year and can't wait to start back!
Old 12-08-2009, 06:59 AM   #5
Admiral
Got Track?

That sounds close to being a CMC race car! Back when I was racing CMC I recall was stuck at the 3100lbs mark until I gutted the doors/windows and related hardware. I think I'm going to try and stay in the TTE group for now as I want to keep my full interior. Good luck in 2010!
Old 12-09-2009, 09:04 PM   #6
snakbitn
SCMC Member

Planning on CMC2 toward's the end of the year.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:41 PM   #7
gcassidy
SCMC Member

What timing! After 7 years of tracking the car, I decided to take the plunge and just had my check ride at Summit Point in Nov. I have a transponder on order, and am ordering the extra numbers next week.

I've only run in NASA-MA, and my budget will keep it that way.

I'll also be in TTB, but at the bottom of it. I actually come in about 50 pounds over the factory weight, but still drive it to the track, so I don't expect much.

BTW-congrats snakbitn.

Mods: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2567036
vimeo http://www.vimeo.com/user919253/videos

Proud Member of the Mid-Atlantic Cobra Association

gcassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 06:22 PM   #8
Admiral
Got Track?

TTB is pretty steep in NASA - TX. I'm classified as TTD only because I elected to use adjustable shocks/struts, otherwise I could have kept my car in TTE and that is still keeping my Toyo RA1 race tires on the car. We have our first event Jan 30 so I'm hoping to get some seat time an TT experience soon.

Keep posting updates with your progress!
Old 01-03-2010, 08:38 PM   #9
snakbitn
SCMC Member

Tt

I run with NASA-SE but I plan on sometime this year to run with NASA-MA at least once this year just to meet some of the CMC2 and AI crowd.I hear there is a pretty quick H2000 running in TTB.Good luck this year.Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Robert
Old 01-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #10
Admiral
Got Track?

If you two don't mind sharing, how has it been to run TT in your regions? I'm only familiar with racing AI and CMC and concerned that trying to get a fast lap will be frustrating beyond all belief lol. I know in the past in qualifying sessions it could be a real PITA with other class cars parking at the apex or faster cars shooting underneath you and killing your corner speed, I just hope that the other TT drivers are much more "aware" of folks that are on a fast lap and give more room.

Also, what kind of car counts have you had? I was looking over the TX region scoring for last year, some TT classes are very thin while others had 6-8 cars consistently. We have our first event on Jan 30 (I'm only able to do a one-day) and I'm looking forward to some fun track time with very little work on the car!
Old 01-05-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
gcassidy
SCMC Member

I've only been out in TT warmups (and instructors groups-got certified last year), having just gotten my check ride. But it's something that will happen sometimes. You can be out there with a Miata and catch him at the wrong time. Of course, you can be a pylon for a TTU Vette also. LOL
The idea is to spread out, hold back, do what you need to get that one clean lap. It may take a bunch to do that.

Here's a couple links to our entry lists for the last 2 events last year (VIR and Summit Point). They'll show you our class makeup.

Octoberfast 2009 Participant List

http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?k...8A&output=html

The second one is an HPDE and TT event only, something Chris is trying to give HPDEers more track time. It worked as an experiement, but he says they can't make enough at it to do them very often.

In my case, most of what's bumping me to TTB (from TTC) is 9" wheels, BFG R1s, and a few suspension mods. I could sure use some more power to go with them, but it's not in the budget, and the car's real well balanced now..i.e.-safe and fun to drive.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
snakbitn
SCMC Member

tt

I don't know how the other regions do it but in the SE we all grid by the fastest time from the previous run not by class. The first run for the weekend they grid by class which is considered practice and doesn't count.After that hold on to your ass because the first 3 or 4 laps it's on unless you want to get passed by a miata.Car count's in SE TT group's have some of the largest field's.We normally have around 35 to 45 car's total and from 3 to 6 per class.Normaly driver's look out for other driver's as far as not to hold you up, but sometime's you do have to dive bomb and they get the message.I've really havn't had that problem but a couple of time's and it was by faster car's trying to cool down those's supercharger's or turbo's.All in all we have a great time and our first date is in Feb.Hope to meet you guy's at a event sometime.
Old 02-03-2010, 05:50 PM   #13
gcassidy
SCMC Member

I'm registered for the March 27/28 NASA VIR TT in TTB.
Just gotta make sure I don't screw up on my first one.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:40 AM   #14
Admiral
Got Track?

We did the first Texas event last weekend. I could only do one-day (Saturday) as the wife and I left on a cruise the next day but what a blast. I'm thinking about selling the race car as I had so much fun in my old 95 cobra trying to lay down a fast lap on BFG street tires lol.

I ran in TTD but probably could have stayed in TTE since I didn't have the Toyo RA1s on the car. Looking forward to doing more events like this, low stress and low hassle all day long.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:53 PM   #15
snakbitn
SCMC Member

My first run is next weekend and can't wait.weather is looking pretty good so far.