SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 96 - 01 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
66gtstang

Clutch Woes

It's been a lonnnng time since I've had a stick car and today I was driving my 96 Cobra when I heard a noise from underneath and my clutch went out on me. the pedal all of a sudden whent hard as a block of concrete (It would go down, but with a lot of pressure) and the clutch would not fully engage at the top of travel. I could nurse it back to my house, but there is something seriously wrong with the clutch. I disconnected the cable, at the fork, and the pedal had no resistance, but it took a lot of pressure, with a big pry bar, to engage the clutch at the fork. So I guess this means it time to replace the clutch, PP & TO Bearing. Any other thoughts on what went wrong? It was all of a sudden - worked 1 second, heard the noise ( Oh yeah the dirt shield had come loose and was wedged between the fork & Cat Converter maybe this caused a problem?) and then it didn't work. If it is a new clutch any tips on a good unit to buy? I want the most bang for the buck and don't want to spend a lot unless I have to. It's a daily driver and eventually I will do some mild drag and autocross racing with it. As far as I know it's pretty much a stock Cobra.
66gtstang is offline   Reply With Quote