SCMC Message Forum  
Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > Club Info > Welcome New Members
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #1
Drifter

Looking for track time

I'm looking forward to participating in the track events with SCMC. Just got my pony broken in and went to the NASA meltdown at CMP on 12-13FEB11. What a hoot.

2011 Shelby GT500 Performance and Electronics package and stripe delete.

I didn't like trolling for blues so I traded my 2007 Shelby GT500 (white with blue stripes ) for a less conspicuous presence. Still looks good though.
Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:51 PM   #2
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Drifter,

Welcome to our forums and we hope you'll come on up to our cruise-in this weekend at Pro-Dyno in Fort Mill and meet some of the gang.

You'll definitely want to sign up for the 2011 SVT Superfest!!

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
snakbitn
SCMC Member

Come on down to Road Atlanta with Nasa in March.I'll be there.
snakbitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:48 AM   #4
03-246
Super Moderator

Hey Drifter. I am curious to hear how the '11 performed on track...a very similar car may be in my future and wanted to get some first hand feedback. Please email me at 70machwon@nc.rr.com. Hope to see you at VIR for the 5/27 - 5/29 event...it's going to be great!
2013 Boss 302S, School Bus Yellow, #43/50
03-246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM   #5
Drifter

CMP track experience in '11 Shelby Mustang

My first experience on any track was a NASA day doing HPDE 1 at CMP near Kershaw, SC. My instructor made comments and gave instruction as needed but allowed me to find the limits of the car within my driving ability ( I've got a lot to learn ).

My Mustang has the performance package and has the different suspension, wheels and tires and better weight distribution partially due to the aluminum block.

I was warned that I would be embarrassed by Miatas and the like. To the contrary, I didn't wave anyone around the whole day. Actually with HPDE 1 and 2 classes on the track everyone got smaller and vanished in my mirrors. That was done using 4th gear only as the instructor had me concentrating on the lines and wanted me to take the aspect of shifting out of the learning curve. On the final session, my instructor offered to let me go solo but I declined and asked him to come along.

My comment regarding the car's handling can be explained best by saying that no one, nooo one, put distance between me and themselves in the curves and I am a stone cold rookie. Not Miatas, not 911s or 944s , not Panos built BMWs, not Toyota MR2. They were HPDE1 and 2 drivers but most of the HPDE1 drivers were out on their 3rd, 4th or 5th weekend and all the HPDE2 drivers had soloed.

That being said, I could benefit from a little more negative camber than it comes with. It is not that hard to heat up the brakes and tires. Trac control makes me soooo much better at this stage of my driving ability and I'm not sure when I'll be ready to test my ability sans trac control. I would really like to have the ability to reduce it's influence gradually rather than on or off.

Bottom line is this car is a flat out hoot.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:13 PM   #6
Drifter

Hey Cobrabitin, I might ride up to Pineville Saturday.

I need to get my car on the dyno soon anyway. I'll be coming up 21 from Fort Lawn. Tomorrow I am going down to CMP for a Track One Day. Hoping for a fun day with the track warming up. My stock tires are described as summer tires and they don't hook up on cold asphalt. On the track I have to scuff them around a little in the first lap to heat them up. On the road, they are tricky. I have put the back end on the shoulder in 4th gear before.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
Drifter

CMP Track One Day

Great weather, lots of fun but toasted left front tire and right front brake pad went metal to the rotor. I'm expecting $850 for 2 front tires and $250 for front pads and $? for a rotor. I probably need to lighten up some on my pony if 2 days at a NASA event and one track day take a toll like this. I'm going to put it on the jacks and give it some tlc and ask it for forgiveness.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:23 PM   #8
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Get it back together before Saturday!!

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote