Go Back   SCMC Message Forum > SVT Platforms > 93 - 95 SVT Cobra Forum
User Name
Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2012, 10:55 PM   #1
jeffcobra
SCMC Member

Had the Cobra at VIR, had minor issues

Well, I had the Cobra at VIR all weekend, it was awesome. I was running in the green group and had some issues with the car. The car would puke fuel from the gas cap after it had been run all day and the fuel was getting low in the tank. I have come to find out this is a common problem that I will need to come up with a fix for. I removed the charcoal canister at the track because it was full of fuel. I thought it was block and causing the problem. That didn't fix it because Sunday the last run I was black flagged for the same thing. That was a good thing because Tony noticed I had a tire going down when I pulled into the pit ( THANK YOU TONY !!!) I was just going to fill the tank and go back out because the pressure in the tank doesn't build when it's full. Something very bad could of happened if no one noticed the tire.

The other problem is the car engine temp getting about 3/4 of the way up on the factory gauge. It never went higher than that. I did some things at the track to help get air in and out of the engine bay. I removed the hood blanket, removed the plastic cowl cover that separates the engine bay from the cowl. This seemed to help a little but I need a permanent solution. Its only going to get hotter this summer. Would a colder thermostat help or do I just need a bigger radiator? I only plan a few bolt engine mods in the future so I don't plan on making big power.
jeffcobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
cobrabitn
Dr Jekyll on the street, Mr Hyde on the track

Send a message via AIM to cobrabitn
Jeff,

Here's what you need to help alleviate some of your problems.

1. Get an aftermarket radiator like Griffin Racing Radiator or Fluidyne. I had a Fluidyne n mine.

2. 180 degree thermostat and have your high speed fan turn on at 185 degrees. I did this with a chip on my 94.

3. Water Wetter - it works and my temps stayed down almost all the time. My gauge would go up 3/4 of the way on a very very hot day but when I slowed down, it dropped to 1/4 of the way or less. As long as the needle is not in the red, you are okay. So anything that is in the NORMAL range is okay.

4. Fuel Puke - this is a tough one but I did at least control it a lot more. Wrap the tailpipes like what was on my 94. Just some exhaust wrap will help stop the tank from getting the heat from the pipes.

5. Change or replace the valve on the tank. You did not have to remove the vapor canister and I'd probably just put it back on.

6. Increase the hose size for the vapors - this helped a lot.

I do not know if Daniel had the fuel puke situation but I know in cool weather, I didn't have any.

7. Don't let the tank drop below a half and that will stop it all together.

2016 Ruby Red Metallic with Caribou accent F-350 Crew Cab

Stump Puller! 6.7 Diesel Automatic with Chrome Package, Off Road Package, 3.55 Locking axles, and Ultimate Lariat Interior Trim Package!

2017 Shelby GT350 Coupe - track car!

Mods:

JLT True Cold Air oil catch can

2009 Vista Blue Shelby GT 500 Coupe - Garage Queen

Tinted Windows
JLT True Cold Air Kit
Pro-Dyno Tune
526 rwhp - 511 rwtq

1994 Rio Red Indy Pace Car #22 "Runabout"

Snake in the grill
MGW shift knob
1996 SVT Cobra Wheels

1969 New Lime Mustang Mach 1 Sportsroof - Second owner - bone stock with shaker.

One SVT Cobra, one Shelby GT500, one 69 mach 1, and a Shelby GT350 is better than nothing!

Custom Data Plates for your Mustang or Ford!

Buy "Cool Merchandise" at Data Plates Plus
www.dataplatesplus.com

See my MSR Video here!
cobrabitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #3
FTGT101
SCMC Member

It never spit out any fuel Tony and we ran from a full Tank to empty. Having said that the cap had alot of pressure on it, but never lost any fuel that I am aware of.
FTGT101 is offline   Reply With Quote