Password

Register FAQ Members List SCMC Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
tones688
SCMC Member

Upper Control Arms for a '97

Looking at these:

http://www.americanmuscle.com/staluprecoar.html

It says that these will not fit a 97 1/2 or '98 and that those models require the adjustable control arms. How can I determine if my '97 is a half year model?

On another note, I bought my '97 five years ago and it came with aftermarket upper and lower control arms. The bushings have rotted out and basically crumbled apart (only 60,000 orig miles, car impeccable otherwise). Anyway, I could not source replacement bushings of the exact size (width wise) so I had to make up the gap using stainless steel washers. Tis has worked ok for about a year (2000 miles or so) but my rear end (car's rear, not mine, lol) is drifting again. I'm thinking that completely replacing the control arms again with items that I know about is the best course or action. Any comments or recommendations would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Tony
Old 08-10-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

I don't know why they say these arms won't for 97.5-98 cars. I bet if you call them and ask they won't know either. I recommend Maximum Motorsports suspension components. They are the highest quality available. All of their tech comes from actual testing and racing! I use MM products on my racecar EXCLUSIVELY. I have everything they make for solid rear axle Mustangs on my car. I no longer have the rear upper arms since going to a panhard bar and torque arm setup. If you do a lot of open track events, you should consider a MM panhard bar kit.

Here's the page where they sell rear upper arms with a detailed description of the product. http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...Path=514_21_98

The only think I can think that might be unique on those cars is a change in rear brake line routing. At some point, they changed from a 3-channel ABS system to a 4-channel so the rear brake lines are separate all the way back (4-ch) vs on my 96 there's one line to the rear axle housing and then a T to the wheels (3-ch). I thought the change was for 99 but could have been earlier. All three of my SN95 chassis Mustangs have been 96s.

What do you use the car for? Street driving? Open track? Drag racing? Show? There's a TON of good info on the MM site regarding suspensions. Take a look and feel free to ask more questions.
Jimmy Bost #00539
American Iron #16 Ford Mustang Cobra
Mystic_Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 06:56 PM   #3
tones688
SCMC Member

Thanks for the information! I had it on a lift today and see that the upper bushing on one of the lower control arms has crumbled so I'm going to at a minimum replace both lowers. Thanks for the advice regarding the Maximum hardware, I'm going to do my homework and see what I can learn.

I mostly use the car for spirited street driving and want it to remain set up for HPDE events. Nothing too serious, but it's been lowered and handles very well, I'm striving to keep it that way

Thanks again, I'll update with what I end up going with!

Tony
Old 08-11-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

Take a look at both the upper and lower arms that Maximum makes. There are a couple different versions for different setups. The stock bushings can be destroyed in just one 20 minute session on track even in a new or low mileage car. Capable on the street if not driven hard but they won't last long on the track.
Jimmy Bost #00539
Old 08-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #5
tones688
SCMC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic_Cobra View Post
Take a look at both the upper and lower arms that Maximum makes. There are a couple different versions for different setups. The stock bushings can be destroyed in just one 20 minute session on track even in a new or low mileage car. Capable on the street if not driven hard but they won't last long on the track.
I studied each option pretty well and decided on the adjustable, extreme duty lower arms:

http://www.maximummotorsports.com/st...roducts_id=537

Thanks for the advice
Old 08-14-2012, 02:30 PM   #6
Mystic_Cobra
NASA American Iron #16

Excellent choice!

When I converted my street car (96 Cobra) to race-only duty (upgrading the rear for the TA/PHB), I saved my set of those for my next street Mustang.
Jimmy Bost #00539